Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2002, 11:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Glenside , Pennsylvania
Anyone else polishing?

My daughter thinks I'm obsessed. My husband thought he'd be doing all the work and he hasn't put in a skinny minute as of yet! I'm sure the neighbors are tired of the hummmmmmm. And me, my arms are getting a work out and I think the scar from falling off the ladder will add character!

I've got the clear coat stripped and 85% of the pre-polishing done. Took her to the shore this past weekend and thought she'd look terrible in the sun, but only got compliments!

Anyone else doing the polishing blues? Want to do some kevetching with me?

Gillian
64 GlobeTrotter
64GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 01:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
How many hours to get this far?

What mechanical polisher/buffer are you using?

Just wait until they get a look at your new Popeye muscle arms

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

GT64
Perhaps I missed out on this discussion, but please tell us what you used as a "stripper". I need to think about doing the same.
moporolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I posted this link to another request the other day...

* http://www.zianet.com/rlashway/Polishing.html

* Appropriate credits apply were applicable.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 09:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hi Gillian and all

Have not started polishing my Tradewind yet but hope to tackle it this summer. What polish are you using? Did you purchase a Cyclo polisher?
VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 10:36 PM   #6
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
I hear...

Nuvite is current polishing champion...
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 07:11 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Glenside , Pennsylvania
Strippers - started with Citristrip - it's gentle, takes up to 30 minutes and doesn't always remove all the clear coat. Then tried Bix - get it on your skin and it burns, works in about 10 mins, but still the problem with some clear coat remaining. Then moved onto to an aircraft stripper in an aerosol can (found it in the auto section at wallymart, blue can with an airplane on it). That stuff worked great, was fast and of course the most expensive method. I went back and bought the store out.

Polish - nuvite; polisher - the cyclo, of course - using the sweatshirt method with pads under. I'm just tying the cloth around the polisher, more clean areas and don't have to bother with the slits. I polish, then throw a section flannel sheet over the polisher and cloth to remove the black and buff - move the first cloth to a clean section and start again.

Hours in - around 30.

My one big problem so far (other than the fall!) is that on the first attempt to strip, if you don't get all the clear coat off, it seems repeated applications of stripper do nothing and a cloudy area remains. I've had some success polishing the cloudy areas out, but it takes many, many coats of polish. I also haven't found much success with compounding and have since moved right to polishing w/ C or F6.

I've looked at these two sites probably 100 times: Shirley and Arlens' site and RJ's page I can envision my trailer being as flawlessly polished as their's are, but you never know!
Old 05-30-2002, 07:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I also started polishing this weekend. Same story as yours, same results. I could not find the aircraft stripper at Walmart, I will look in the automotive section. I tried Citristrip, wife is now using that to strip a head board. I have a gallon of BIX and I will remove the clear coat but not all of it, seems to leave a film. Takes for ever to polish through the film. I have used, water, mineral spirits, and lacquer thinner to try to remove the film no luck. Using Nuvite F7 then Nuvite S. Well I will keep going at it.

I moved the trailer into the backyard so I could leave the scaffolding up and not have to take it down at the end of the day. If I have good weather this weekend I will go at it very hard. I have some big lights I will see how it works after sunset.

I also have looked at Shirley and Arlens' site and RJ's page 100 times. I haven't seen a polished trailer live yet wish I could, maybe I could lower my standard or maybe I might have to up my standards.

Good Luck
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Aircraft Stripper is the best material to use. It costs more, but that's why it's work, it's better. Don't get it on your skin or any plastic. It's available at NAPA Auto parts stores. Twenty some dollars per gallon. A 31 foot will take 5 to 6 gallons. We have been using it for over 15 years. Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 02:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Question

We are just starting the polishing process too, but first we have to strip off all the clearcoat. We tried a "test area" about 2'x2' the other night with the Aircraft stripper...looks like that will work great, got 99% off in two passes witout too much effort.

Next to our door there is the "Land Yacht" plaque (pictured below) which is blue. It looks to be engraved or etched, not necessarily painted, but it too has the clearcoat on it, although it is real splotchy.

Here's my question, most likely for Andy:

Has anyone used the aircraft stripper (or some other product?) on this plaque? If so, will the aircraft stripper remove the blue along with the clearcoat or just the clear coat? I really don't want to test this out directly on the plaque, for fear of ruining it...I would rather leave it splotchy than completely strip it or have to somehow repaint it.

Any experience or advice would be appreciated....
Thanks!

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plate.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	215  
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 05:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Shari. The paint will most likely come off of the black tag. The blue tag could be painted or anodized. If it's anodized, then a quick application of stripper will not hurt it.
If it's painted, then the paint will be removed, which is not a problem. You can paint it blue again. But if your clear coating the trailer, make sure the clear and blue are compatible.
Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 07:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks for your info Andy ~

I do believe the blue plaque is annodized...it doesn't look to be painted like the "Airstream" plaques front and back. With regards to the black CA plaque, the existing clear coat (if any, I don't notice the splotchiness) doesn't bother me...just on the "retro-cool" blue one.

With regards to reapplying clear coat...not in our plans, we intend on just polishing it and then keeping it waxed.

Thanks again!

Shari

P.S. I'll post a picture of the end result...
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 09:53 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Also Polishing - Slow but Steady

My wife and I started polishing 31' '84 Excella this weekend. Used aircraft stripper for clearcoat removal with excellent results - one pass and some touchups and it's gone. Painted on and sprayed off (a LOT of spraying).

Using Cyclo w/Rolite products - I know, there are a lot of Nuvite fans out there.

Very pleased w/results so for. Would absolutely recommend creating scaffold w/sturdy sawhorses and planks, though - the ladder thing sounds way too tedious for this.

I think I'm going to the sweatshirt method - and the cleanup with another cloth tied around Cyclo sounds great.

We got a great start this past weekend and are enthused about pressing for completion (sometime before 2004, ha). I'm sore but still game!
Neal in Indiana
NSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 10:37 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Glenside , Pennsylvania
This past weekend, I tried using the pads for the pre-polish and then flannel sheet over the pads to wipe off the black and buff. Work went much quicker. The pads seemed to work the polish a little better than the sweatshirt material and the cyclo stayed cooler. I made sure to scrape the pads so I didn't get any buildup. I think for the finer grades of polish, I'll use the sweatshirt mat'l, but for the pre-polish the pads may be the way to go.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Polishing A/S

Just read with great interests the numerous products for stripping clear coating off the A/S. I agree, with the usuage of Citristrip as I've been using it to strip our 'Silver Turtle'. So far, the progress looks fantastic. I've found one thing tho, the outside temp. needs to be ideal and, with the use of this product that means between 60 to 80 degrees..(Doesn't get much hotter than that here anyway) There's only been a few areas where I ended up having to go back over it again. Either the clear coating was sprayed on extra thick or, my arms didn't make the right motions..lol Just to pass on, I've been using one of these ladders that you can buy from 'Home Depot' that folds into 18 different directions with great success. Haven't fallen yet~ I wanted to mention that, Andy..we thank you for your comments and, your love for A/S. It's nice to have such a true gentlman, such as you, in our forum. I don't know just how much interest there would be in seeing pictures of my work in progress but, if I may say so. I've posted around 74 pictures of that on another URL. If anyone would like, drop me an email at: towner1@adelphia.net
I'll be glad to point the way. (I lov'd to post some here but, the web resources seems to be rather limited and, besides it's not a great idea to post'em twice..lol) I should be ordering my polisher shortly, as I wanta push on..Again, thanks to all for the timing info that we gleemed off this forum.
Vern Townsend
WBCCI 5292
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 12:59 AM   #16
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Welcome Vern...

74 pictures huh?!? That sounds great, I know I want to see them. Maybe you could post the link?

Also, if you would like to load them into your "Photo Gallery" so other members can make comments about them & future members can learn from thoose comments. Let me know, I would be glad to enhance your privileges. I have the upload limits set for now. Once I can get a better feel for the needs of our members I plan on increasing them or deleting them.

Once again, welcome to the forums!

Andy R.
(Web Design Andy)
1961 Bambi
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 12:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Re: Welcome Vern...

Thanks for the warm welcome Andy..
Here's the url:http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...eamdotcom2/lst
once there just go to the 8th folder in the list.
Again thanks,
Vern
Old 06-05-2002, 03:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Vern,
I thought I recognized your user name. I have visited the yahoogroups airstreamII, airstreamassistance, airstreamdotcom and airstreamlovers sites and have seen your posts on at least one of them. Glad you found this site and good to have you aboard. Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 02:48 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

hey vern, I saw those pics...

HEY, I would say that the pictures vern posted on the Yahoo Groups site were good to show the use of the stripper on the TT. I just wonder how long it took.
wife & 2 boys
tenrsingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 11:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Stripping & Polishing

Hi Steve~
Thanks ~!~
I must confess, it was done very leisurely over a two week period. Given that, we've had rain to throw a curve in the schedulin..Don't you just lov the weather?
On the average, the Citristrip takes about 30 to 45 min to react. I then used a very damp terry cloth to wipe it off, continued this until I had it cleaned up. Followed by hosin it down with water then, I'd wipe it dry..I must admit that, a quicker job could be had by simply hosin it down...But..:-} that's not me.
The hardest part comes next..lol polishin actually shouldn't be too bad as can be seen in the pitures, the skin is in excellent condition.
Again, thanks for lookin..
ciao
Vern