Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2006, 11:26 PM   #1

1954 22' Flying Cloud
missouri city , Texas
aluminum acid wash

i have an early 50's flying cloud that has alot of corrison on the outside.i heard that there is something called aluminum acid wash that will help to remove some of this.does anyone know where i can purchase some.
jim floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'm sure others will chime in, but I think the general concensus here is don't use any acid on the aluminum. You don't want to get it in the joints, etc where you can't neutralize it. You should get some other opinions here shortly.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lots & lots of discussion on this one...

Acid Wash

Bottomline, don't do it. You'll have more leaks than you'll know what to do with.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Shari, links seem to have gotten goofy lately. I'm finding just copying in the URL still works.

Jim, you can find links to this topic if you search on acid wash.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Acid wash

Every.....every....aluminum airplane painted is "acid washed," if its done correctly. No leaks here. A painted aluminum RV should be done with the same procedures for a long lasting coating. Look under "brightener" in paint prep. Follow the directions and then keep it clean for a new looking natural aluminum finish.

P.S. Many paint shops use a diluted muriatic acid.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Melody Ranch is absoluty correct. I acid wash every every aluminum part I make then apply alodine before priming. When ever I have to repaint any part of our aircraft, I chemicaly strip, etch, then alodine before priming. This is standard procedure. However if any of the etch or alodine seeps into an open seam it will cause corrosion. Aircraft construction is somewhat different then that of an Airstream. All mating surfaces are primed with an epoxy primer, Zinc chromate is basicly a thing of the past and I don't know of anybody that still uses it. All mating surfaces are fayed surface sealed with a two part polymer and shot together wet. These primers and sealents are inpervious to the mild acid etch when neuturalized with water. The Alumiprep will clean off mild suface corrosion or oxidation when used properly, but can cause long term issues if not throughly neuturalized. I do not know how stock Airstream sealents react with Alumiprep, so using these products on your Airstream is a "Do at your own risk" project.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Nope....

I talked to an Airstream tech when I called the company on another issue. He volunteered that under no circumstances should we allow an acid wash on our A/S. It seems to be a specialized process for aircraft. Even though we think we are flying when we glide down the road in our aluminum beauties...they are still not aircraft. Lots of great posts on successful jobs of exterior restoration without using acid. You will likely find great advice there. Best of luck!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Stripping

I don't know if the acid wash is the same stuff that was used to strip my Airstream, but I can tell that whatever was used did corrode the seam sealer in many places. Just a little background: My Safari was used as "set dressing" in a movie that invovled a pyro stunt. The stunt didn't go off as anticipated and my rig was heat damaged. The movie company took it to Oasis RV in Tucson to have it stripped and re-clearcoated. (And did a great job, BTW) The first rain storm, it leaked. There had been no leaks even right after the fire. Careful inspection of the seams showed that a lot of the sealer had deteriorated. Oasis FedExed some R-acytl (or however it's spelled) but thank heavens Lewster was on his migration from north to south and stopped by to save the day.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Dang, I hate it when that happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Shari, links seem to have gotten goofy lately. I'm finding just copying in the URL still works.

Jim, you can find links to this topic if you search on acid wash.
Actually, that was a search that pulled up 31 different threads talking about acid washing...type 'acid wash' into the search field and you can find the links.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Paint stripper and Alumiprep are to different products but will cause the same problems. Stripper will also remove fillet type seals. so reapplying the fillet seal after stripping is a must. If the fillet type seal is all that the seam originally had then stripper will most likely wick into the seam causing corrosion and leakage.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote