Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
I use both Aero and Meguiar's® Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax. Aero is a bit lower in cost if you buy the gallon. I did a side by test and think Meguiar's does a marginally better job. So, if you run out of Aero, you can probably buy the Meguiar's at most auto and big box stores.
I do like the Aero mop.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spruce , Michigan
Anything I can use to remove very fine scratches from the exterior?
Bauerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauerg View Post
Aero makes a polish it is like a rubbing compound that you can use to remove scratches an a car. Might just try a normal rubbing compound.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Aero makes a polish it is like a rubbing compound that you can use to remove scratches an a car. Might just try a normal rubbing compound.
I would not use a rubbing compound on light scratches as it is too abrasive, especially for the finish on an AS. A good quality polish may do the trick on light scratches, if not, a very light polishing compound. Meguiar's makes an excellent product called Ultimate Compound, which I have had very good success removing light scratches. A lot of combo cleaner waxes also remove light scratches. Walbernize works quite well in removing light scratches as well, and it is the product Air Stream recommends for the clear coat finish.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #25
Elliot/Barbara

Airstream - Other
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Collins , Colorado
Carniba Car Wax

I have been using Turtle Wax Carnuba for several years on my 2006 Safari 28 S/O and it works excellent. The last thing before I put it away for the winter is to pressure clean and then appluy the Carnuba wax.

Water beads off it all year long.
ElliotA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Agree with All You State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I used Walbenizer on my AS in the past. It does a decent job, but it seems like there was always a residue. And to apply it and let dry takes a really long time. I was just searching the internet for something different and came across this product: Aero Cosmetic Wet or Waterless Car Wash and Wax. It works great.

1). It does a great job of cleaning! If you have a bunch of bugs in an area spray it on and leave it set for awhile. The bugs come off very easily with a rag.
2). It leaves a great shine as it cleans. In other words you don’t have to clean and then wax.
3). If there is heavy dirt on the AS (mud) then you have to spray wash that off. But after that just spray, rub with a damp rag, then wipe with a dry rag.

What is nice is you can clean and wax in one shot. Just use a spray bottle and a terry cloth. Highly recommend it.

Great for your car as well. And it will work on a variety of surfaces.
I've been using this product on every Airstream we have owned over the course of the last 10 years. In fact, on our camping trip last weekend I spent a couple hours cleaning/waxing our Airstream with it ... as always it looked fantastic. It's kind of you to share your experience and recommendations and it's through threads like yours that others learn about helpful products.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauerg View Post

Meguiar's M5032 Marine/RV One Step Cleaner Wax should do the job and leaves a good wax while you are at it. Advises that it removes light oxidation. Easy to apply and remove with a low cost buffer.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I used a waterless cleaner on my cars for a while. What I didn't like was that if I did a normal wash job and dried it with a chamois, my chamois would turn black. I bought Walbarnize and decided to try it on my Lincoln; It was good for only a few weeks, so I never put it on my Airstream.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote