Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Acid wash

I have read threads on acid wash,I`m ready to try it on my 63 GT, after 3 hrs to get a corner done with #9 Nuvite,I think it is time to get serious,what is the acid used. Thanks,Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I believe most acid treatments are phosphoric acid. If you buy a commercial acid treatment it probably also has some wetting, cling, and foaming agents. I would pick one you like and then read the required MSDS sheet, which should list the trype of acid that is used.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Acid Wash on 72 Tradewind

I believe a PO did an acid wash on my Tradewind. It looks pretty good, all clearcoat is removed except for a few areas along the rubrail. I don't know the long term effects of it without clearcoat but for now it looks great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0609.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	85393  
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
The acid is a pospheric acid. You can purchase it from Napa in 1 gallon jugs. It is primarily sold as an aluminium wheel, and dump truck box cleaner. It is also what a welder will use to clean the aluminium prior to welding it to get it clean enough. It works really well at cleaning rust off steel too. I use it all the time and I am currently using it on my 65 on the interior to clean the frame and the topside of the bellypan as I have the floor ripped out of it.
nate3172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
Oh yeah, directions for use. Purchase a chemical spray bottle at the same time. Just spray it on and let sit for 3-5 min and then rinse with water. Try not to let it sit for extended periods or dry on the aluminium. Remember, this is an acid! It can be harmful and burn if you get it on your skin or in your eyes. It does neutralise really quick with water though.
nate3172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking i have done this in the past....

and used a product from AutoMagic detail company...find on line...

magna brite (hydrofluoric acid) is the product and you would only like need a half gallon or so....a gallon would leave you left over...

i used a 1/2 gallon in a 2 gallon spray bottle ...fill with water....spray on in sections....it will turn white quickly...time to rinse.....rinse....and rinse again....i did the coaches 2 times and what a difference it makes....

let dry some nuvite a dewalt 849 with a wool pad and brother it should shine in a minute...now the acid will not take off the clearcoat...you will need to use aircraft paint remover....then acid wash....then polish....

if you stay at it you can strip and acid wash usually in a day...pressure washer needed to rinse of the stripper and you may use the stripper 2 or 3 times on each spot...

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hydrofluoric acid can etch glass. Rinse well & right away. I'm not sure what concentration they're using. I might think of spraying with a bicarbonate suspension after the first rinse. But that's thinking off the top of my head, as I've not done this before.

If spraying I would do this with nothing less than a canister filter respirator on. You sure you don't want to have a truck refinisher do this part for you?

You'll un-gunk some of the seams. See if you can have somebody with a Seal-Tech machine check for leaks when you're all done. You're a bit far from soldiermedic in Missouri. To quote the VAP guys and many others, "They all leak!" After acid washing it just may leak a bit more. The thing for aluminum lap seams is Acryl-R.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Well we took our "60" Overlander to have it polished. As far as I could tell the clearcoat was gone. It was polished and appears to have dark streaks, splotches, and generally appears dirty. So I used Removal 220 on the trailer in the off chance that it still had clearcoat. Nothing appeared to come off the trailer. Still dirty looking. Several have suggested that the skin was burned. Will using acid wash remove the streaks and dirty appearance. Does anyone have any experience with this or have experienced similar problems with the finish on their AS. Thanks for the help...we're disappointed.

Bob
TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:31 AM   #9
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
your trailer may have been "burned"....see my post above....the mix would be lightly...about a cup to the gallon...or heavier about 2 cups to the gallon....you spray...it turns a milky white and you rinse...then repeat till you get a uniform color...time from spray to rinse...less then 10 seconds

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote