RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Ottumwa , IA
Winterization

I am going to need to dewinterize and re winterize several times this winter. What is the best way? Where is the winterization valve on my 2021 International 25FB?
Jeff Bittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Jeff, there are multiple valves, low point drains and faucets, a water heater, water pump and an exterior shower involved. Have you read the manual. I blow the lines with air and on a couple of trips have had to winterize/summerize multiple times while OTR. Not a big deal but not a 10 minute project either.

Key to your needed answer, is this OTR or returning to home and accomplishing it in your driveway.

The easiest way is with a diverter valve (easy to install and use) and use the pink AF. you can also use a special hand pump. The best way IMO is with air but takes longer, requires a compressor ( i have used a 12v inflator OTR on a number if occasions) and i would suggest a fairly detailed check list for the first few times. You can search winterization checklist here. I would be glad to post mine, which will give you and idea of the sequence i use, but then again i have a fc20. I don't use it anymore, but really helped me get organized the first few times.

Let me know and i can post again or email to you.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:39 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Ottumwa , IA
Yes, I have read the manual many times but am confused. I have an in-line water heater, no tank, and can't find the winterization valve. I thought I would have to winterize each to but wondered if there were any other options. Also, I think I might try the option of pumping AF through the system rather than blowing air. Thanks for your reply..obviously my first Iowa winter.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Sorry I can't help with the details, Jeff, but you might want to check the Winterizing etc. sub-forum:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f458/

. . . as well as the sticky topic at the top there:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...rize-7222.html

Also the following sub-forum covers your model, I think:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f539/

. . . where the following specific thread may be a good place to ask?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f53...nt-217070.html

Or you might want to start a new thread in that International sub-forum IMO.

Also, when using a real computer here [not a phone or tablet in the AirForums App], the blue search box above, powered by Google, performs very good searches of the site IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS -- The following Plumbing etc. forum, sub-forums, and threads probably have some good info on your in-line tank-less water heater IMO:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f163/
Water heaters etc. sub-forum: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f445/
Tank-less thread: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...mp-217101.html
On-demand thread: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...er-126819.html

"Tank-less is thankless?"

You can tank me later I guess . . .

Peter
Old 12-06-2020, 06:59 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard 👍

The dealer dropped the ball...that should have been covered in the orientation. Best to go back and ask for a do-over, take vid's and notes. Camp overnight on the lot and do everything again.
"Cloudsplitter" is too old to be much help. I would get a quality 2-5 gal compressor to evacuate the lines, and read-up here.

Bob
🇺🇸

ďChange is the new normal, if nothing changes, nothing is normal, everything changes, everything is normal.Ē
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
2021 Winterization with the new on demand water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Jeff, there are multiple valves, low point drains and faucets, a water heater, water pump and an exterior shower involved. Have you read the manual. I blow the lines with air and on a couple of trips have had to winterize/summerize multiple times while OTR. Not a big deal but not a 10 minute project either.

Key to your needed answer, is this OTR or returning to home and accomplishing it in your driveway.

The easiest way is with a diverter valve (easy to install and use) and use the pink AF. you can also use a special hand pump. The best way IMO is with air but takes longer, requires a compressor ( i have used a 12v inflator OTR on a number if occasions) and i would suggest a fairly detailed check list for the first few times. You can search winterization checklist here. I would be glad to post mine, which will give you and idea of the sequence i use, but then again i have a fc20. I don't use it anymore, but really helped me get organized the first few times.

Let me know and i can post again or email to you.
I have a 2021, 25í FBT FC with an on demand hot water heater. This is how I winterized my rig this year. If you have any questions, after reading, please PM me.

Winterization Kit Installed:
a. Level the rig
b. Open the exterior cover to the on demand hot water heater and shut off the igniter. See attachment 1. I did this first because the on demand hot water heater will automatically turn on at 380F to keep things from freezing up. I did not want this to happen if the piping was empty or full of antifreeze.
c. Shut off the water pump.
d. Open the potable water tank drain valve (attachment 2. Mine is shown as shut)
e. Open the potable water system drain valves (attachment 3)
f. Depending on the level of water in the tank, now might be a good time for lunch and a movie.
g. Once all the water has drained out shut the water tank drain and the water system drain valves.
h. Access the water pump. Mine is under the refrigerator and requires the removal of 2 screws then a cover.
i. Attachment 4 shows the winterization kit that was already installed on my 2021 FC. Pull the middle hose out and remove the black cap on the end of it.
j. For my rig, the next step required 3 gallons of non-toxic RV antifreeze.
k. Place the winterization hose into 1 gallon of non-toxic RV antifreeze.
l. Turn the winterization valve until it is perpendicular with the water pump suction valve.
m. Turn on the water pump. My pump struggled at first before it finally took a suction. Leave the pump on.
n. Open the bathroom sink faucet. Leave on cold until the water turns blue. Turn to hot and leave it until the water turns blue. Shut the faucet.
Note: I WATCHED THE ANTIFREEZE BOTTLE LEVEL. I DID NOT WANT THE PUMP TO RUN DRY.
Open the bathroom toilet flush valve until the water turns blue. Shut the valve.
Note: I WATCHED THE ANTIFREEZE BOTTLE LEVEL. I DID NOT WANT THE PUMP TO RUN DRY.
o. Open the shower faucet. Leave on cold until the water turns blue. Turn to hot and leave it until the water turns blue. Shut the faucet.
p. Open the galley faucet. Leave on cold until the water turns blue. Turn to hot and leave it until the water turns blue. Shut the faucet.
q. Open the exterior shower faucet. Leave on cold until the water turns blue. Turn to hot and leave it until the water turns blue. Shut the faucet.
r. At this time, I had about 1 Ĺ gallons of antifreeze remaining. I removed the hose from the antifreeze bottle and put the cap back on.
s. I then shut off the water pump and opened every faucet (exterior and interior). I then dumped a little antifreeze down:
- The bathroom sink.
- Into the black tank and into the toilet with the flush valve empty. I wanted the seal covered with antifreeze.
- The galley sink.
- The shower sink.
- The exterior potable water tank fill.
t. The rig was left plugged into the house, and the batteries were left in the ring because of some winter camping that is planned.

I donít think I forgot anything, butÖ.. if you have any questions on what I did, you can always PM me.

Lastly, if you do not have a winterization kit PM me and I will let you know how I did it without air.
Attached Images

WBCCI #6826
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:17 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Ottumwa , IA
Your response and instructions are amazing! I will go to storage, look it all over today, and let you know if any questions. It was winterized at the dealer but I'm headed south in 2 weeks so will need to de winterize and rewinterize. Thanks!!
Old 12-07-2020, 11:46 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
No worries. I want to make sure I have everything correct so I will look at my rig tonight to see if I forgot anything.
WBCCI #6826
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Ottumwa , IA
I am really confused. Is there a way we could actually talk?
Old 12-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Ottumwa , IA
If blowing out water with pressure, do I need to somehow unhook the water pump week done? I've read some do this.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Jeff,not sure what you mean, week done..., but in our rig, i disc the supply (from fw tank) side of the pump and manually blow back any water in the line back into the fw tank. Before reconnecting, i run the pump into a rag to catch any water that comes out. I then reconnect the supply and disc the distribution and blow again. This helps push any water in the line, further down the line and into the plumbing supported by the cw connectio...let the compressor take over from there.

Btw when i blow back manually, i use a short section of clear ploy with a barbed/ 1/2" male npt adapter at one end that i screw into the pump thumb turn connections. In my unit, kinda hard to get my head down into the pumphouse.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:17 AM   #13
Dr. Dean

2021 23' Flying Cloud
Savannah , Georgia
Can you put a couple gallons of antifreeze in the freshwater tank and pump it through the entire system.
Dr. Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:39 AM   #14
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dean View Post
Can you put a couple gallons of antifreeze in the freshwater tank and pump it through the entire system.
Yes you could, but it would be very difficult to get the residual taste, etc. out of the fresh water system when you de-winterize.

After draining the fresh water system, it is far easier to then connect a tube from the inlet side of your waterpump into a jug of RV antifreeze to pump it through they system.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Ottumwa , IA
What do I do with the on-demand water heater winterization valve when I winterize?
Old 12-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Good continuing conversation in this other thread FYI:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...wa-217667.html

Peter
Old 01-03-2021, 01:43 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Getting ready to winterize my 2021 Classic 33. I plan on draining the Alde water heater. I am connected to 50 amp service, I was going to leave Alde flow heater on 41 (lowest setting) but turn off water heater. Should I leave the control panel on 1 KW or turn that off too? Was thinking that was for hot water and not the heating system. Can anyone confirm that, Iíve read the manual & on their website but it doesnít confirm or deny that part.
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is online now   Reply With Quote