Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Cary , NC
Window screens

I am in S FL where the no see’ems are furious! They are so small they come in through window screens. Has anyone replaced their window screens?
alreardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreardon View Post
I am in S FL where the no see’ems are furious! They are so small they come in through window screens. Has anyone replaced their window screens?
I have repaired my AS screens. Same process as with your home screens. Home Depot or Lowe's have the needed supplies. You will need to select an insect-proof mesh screen. Make sure you take a sample of the spline that is currently used in your rig - you will want to buy a new spline with the same diameter. The spline tool makes the job easy and ensures that the screen is nice and taut. I took my screens off the windows so I could do the repair on a horizontal flat surface. Good luck.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
I am working on screens at this point in my reno. You may not need to replace spines. The ones in my '72 were in great condition. The spline tool is a must. A quick google check will give you all the pointers you need for replacement. I am wondering if you will gain anything by changing your screens if they are still in tact. If those little insects can get through your screen you may want to go to a fabric store and get some fine mesh fabric to add to your screen to make it impossible for them to get in.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
For my FL pool enclosure, I've had good luck with a pyrethrin based repellent designed to impregnate campers' clothing. (Sawyer brand, with a spray applicator that blows right through a screen. It's much more economical to apply with an old rag on a squeegie or similar.)
I haven't used this approach on my trailer, but don't see why it wouldn't work. There's no smell, the repellent is supposed to be safe enough to wear next to the skin. It lasts the entire season.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote