Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Why does the water pump...pump?

2019 Flying Cloud...we leave the water pump switch on (when not on city water) for convenience, but it activates (seemingly randomly) every now and then, even through the night when nothing should be asking for water. We have no obvious leaks.
Is this normal? If not, what do we need to look for/fix?
SnooMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The pump itself has a check valve in the head, that is the most likely issue. Most common is a bit of trash or minerals in it. You may be able to flush it out by cycling a faucet off and on10 times fairly rapidly. Otherwise you have a small leak. Look for water dripping onto the ground. Perhaps the toilet valve leaks. Or the shower.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
z , Texas
Mine does that if I leave my city water cap off, drove me nuts
5150mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Since liquids are not compressible, losing even a small amount to a drip or back flow through the check valve will drop the downstream pressure enough to switch on the pump. Some people install accumulators, a smaller version of the bladder tanks installed on residential well systems. This greatly reduces the time between ‘top-offs’. I’m sure someone has posted on the subject.
Others do all they can to quiet the pump operation.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Another cause can be the water heater blow-off valve leaking a bit.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We live in a "hard water" area and short of installing a water softener in the AS we are flushing "minerals" each fall and summer during start up and shut down. Needless to say it cause the pump to cycle every once in a while (a bit of gunk in the check valve) - notice it at night usually once every 4-6 hours.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There's a diaphragm in the pump itself that may be allowing some water to leak through. When the pressure goes down because of that, the switch pumps more water into the line, thus the cycling.
I never felt the need to leave the pump on when I wasn't using it.
But to each his choice.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Imho, do not leave the pump on.
Just use when needed

If it does dry , and tries to pump air, the internal parts may rub and wear out.
The pump needs the water to act as a lubricant
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
SnooMc
John and Roberta here.

Our DC water pump experiences are similar, and our pump is so noisy it can be heard at neighboring camp sites. I fully understand the pump is maintaining a certain “head of steam,” in this case 55psi or thereabouts. Leaks anywhere, including water passing into the freshwater tank, will drop line pressure, setting off pump, even for half a second. (That half second of pounding in the middle of the night is hardly welcome.)

Our 2018 Flying Cloud 30RB is in for warranty service right now, with the pump problem on the list of fix-its. I won’t be satisfied with a simple “repair” or “new pump.” I’m going to want to know how to clean the pump’s check valve(s) myself because I anticipate the need going forward.

I do use a line filter and Dirt Guard taking in city water. And what I have found is this—using city water (with no DC pump), the fresh water tank holds its fill volume as indicated by gage on kitchen wall . . . BUT, once I activate DC pump, even for short trial, my fresh water tank begins filling to point of overflow, perhaps in as few as three days.

The vibrating of DC pump carries through trailer via water supply lines (to kitchen sink, etc.) I have purchased copper pipe insulation at Home Depot and plan to wrap all water risers to help reduce thumping. Presently we have towels wrapped around kitchen sink supply as they are so loud and so damn aggravating. “All this in a ‘classy’ Airstream?” we ask ourselves.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Water Pump cycling....

We had the same problem, with random small leakages thru various facets, the toilet valve, outside shower, etc. Almost all cleared up with just opening and shutting the various faucets. It seemed like just a few drips from a faucet would cause the pump to cycle. We did replace the toilet valve.

To almost eliminate the problem, we installed a very small expansion tank that has an air bladder inside to keep pressure in the lines so the pump does not cycle, for extremely small leaks. Now, the pump does not cycle unless quite a bit of water is used.

Here is the link to the expansion tank: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This should be a way to avoid fixing real leaks, so if you see water on the ground, or under cabinets, get it fixed....
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Water on the ground is mentioned as a problem and I have lots of water on the ground, but it is from the air conditioner.
DanHogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
3 min process= try purging any trapped air in the lines by turning on all taps flat out.

Rus
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Thanks for all the possibilities -
Russ, we will try the 3 minute thing first!
John and Roberta - if they give you an actual fix, do post it!
We leave the pump on while we're in the trailer (we turn it off if we leave) and at night for bathroom breaks. We full-time; I'm really not willing to flip a switch everytime I need water. And anyways, if there's something wrong, I'd rather go ahead and fix it. But it does sound like this may be more or less normal, or at least not destructive.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It is not destructive and though its hard to keep the system in perfect condition it is possible to keep if from going on for 8-10 hours. The City water check valve leaking is a new one for me but it makes perfect sense.

Note: Diaphragm pumps can run dry without any damage.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
There's a diaphragm in the pump itself that may be allowing some water to leak through. When the pressure goes down because of that, the switch pumps more water into the line, thus the cycling.
I never felt the need to leave the pump on when I wasn't using it.
But to each his choice.

Yes, a small amount of pressure loss over time is quite normal based on our experience. We turn the pump off when we go to bed and when we leave the trailer for any time.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Yes, a small amount of pressure loss over time is quite normal based on our experience. We turn the pump off when we go to bed and when we leave the trailer for any time.
Ditto.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:37 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
I had similar problem. There was a leak at the fittings of the outside shower. Not sure of your seating configuration but in my ‘19 AS I removed the panel under the dinette and could see the back side of the outside shower panel and the leak. The pump should be quit unless in use.
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
We always leave the pump on when we are camping and never connect to city water. If the pump comes on momentarily we know that we have not closed the shower valve. We then close the shower valve. End of problem until we forget to close the shower valve again.

So there is a leak somewhere causing the water pressure to drop thus turning the pump on. Find the leak, fix it and your water pump will stay silent.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
The pump comes on when you loose pressure. Check these places:
1) City water connection - is water dribbling out of the hose connection point?
2) Internal faucets - any drips
3) Winter drain valves - look under the unit for dripping water

And I barely ever connect to City water, since one cannot rely on their pressure being constant. Just use City water to fill my fresh water tank. Still have original pump from 1999 and it still works. Worst thing for most motors is to NOT use them!
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:50 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Had the same issue. A friend pointed out that even the International Space Station has a bit of leakage, so we shouldn't be surprised that our trailer that goes rumbling down the highway is prone to leakage also. It was never that bad, though...just a little burrp every so often. But it can be annoying.
Rollinstone is offline   Reply With Quote