Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Where Is My Leak?

We set up at a campsite this past weekend and had water flowing out of the belly pan. My first thought was a plumbing leak but nothing that simple. I pondered the leak, which stopped as quick as it started, most of the weekend. Here are my thoughts and I would welcome yours.
The site had a severe slope putting the rear of the AS higher than the front, at home it is parked on a level spot. When hitched, my Air Safe/Reese set up puts the nose slightly higher than the tail. So, for the first time since the last time I ran the AC or it rained outside the nose was lower than the tail. The water came from either the discharge of the AC or a leak somewhere in the roof. We have no evidence of a leak inside. What leans me toward the AC is that we have not run the AC since we bought the trailer 3 years ago. This summer it got hot and we used it for long periods of time.
These are my thoughts, what are yours? The leak obviously has to be fixed.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Certifiable

. , .
1st thought: Can you make it happen again?
Start with nose high, run AC long time, lower nose.

2nd thought: Start with nose high, fill fresh water tank, lower nose.

3rd thought: Get on roof, check for cracks, check gaskets.

4th thought: Sealtech
Old 09-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Good idea to try to recreate the leak. I am mystified!!!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Run your a/c unit and check underneath the trailer to see if the a/c drain is dripping or is it plugged.
Another thing you might want to do is tighten the a/c mounting bolts.
They might be loose not allowing the a/c mounting to be properly sealed from the rain!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #5

2010 16' Sport
Chico , California
Where is the leak

I have a Sport that leaks after rains. The water comes from under the refrigerator. It seems that the rain hits the cupped portion of the outside vents and splashes up through the holes in the vent into the refer then out on the floor. Does anyone else experience this?
ChicoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Is there any chance it could be coming from the water pump? We have been doing quite a bit of dry camping and using the water pump. I discovered a leak on the floor and the rug was wet around it. Ours is located by the wheel well on the floor of the closet in our 1988 25' A/S tt. Am in the process of determing if tightening the head of the pump will stop the leak.
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #7

2010 16' Sport
Chico , California
Thank you for the thought, bu no. It has occurred while in storage and all systems shut down.
ChicoMike is offline   Reply With Quote