Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
We started with a early Camplite by Livin Lite.

The quality of that trailer and the build was amazing. The thought that went into picking the lightest components and how the structure was made is truly impressive. We had a 2011 13QBB which has a full queen bed and a wet bath. It was the same over size as the Bambi 16' but had a dry weight of 1,620 lbs. No wood in the construction made it stand up well to leaks and we did have one. We just needed a bit more sitting area to relax and we just felt too crowded in the Camplite. The windows were amazing and very light Dometic Euro windows with the built in blind and bug screens.

I think it was 2017 or near that when Thor bought them and the was the end of the Camplites. If one could find an early 2010's unit. they would have a nice trailer and it will probably last a long time.

We really liked it and we also like our new Sport but for 5 times the $$$ one would think it would come of the assembly line in perfect shape! That's another story for a different thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180531_201238974_iOS.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	938.9 KB
ID:	370745  
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
I'll bite.

We've owned 6 RV's over the years: a Coleman popup, Avenger TT (Forest River), Bayhill 5er (Evergreen -- out of business), Mobile Suites 5er (was independent, now owned by Thor), Tiffin Class A (independent), and now an AS. As others have said, a lot of problems stem from the systems, which typically come from one of two companies and those companies have QC issues.

Our first two units were 'cheap' ones and we didn't really expect that much in the way of quality. We used the heck out of the popup & never had any issues with it. The Bayhill was a total disaster, sent back to factory for over 30 repairs under warranty. After 8 months, company went under and no more warranty. Had problems with slides, springs, brakes, plumbing, electric, not much we didn't have problems with. When we were trying to sell it, had dealers ask if our tanks ever fell out. That's about the only problem we didn't have. Full timed in the Moble Suites, a great trailer. Beautiful woodwork but HEAVY & huge! No serious problems with that one. If only they made smaller units... Looked at Arctic Fox before buying the Mobile Suites. They looked to be well built, but the spouse hated the look of them. The Tiffin MH was made fairly well but was a beast to drive & the bed was too small, so we sold it after 1 year & bought the AS. Have had our AS for 2.5 years and are pretty happy so far. A few minor issues under warranty, all fixed at JC in a single visit.

As for ranking, I'd put Airstream in the top tier for quality of trailers. We looked at a LOT of brands when trying to unload our Bayhill and were mainly focused on quality. Regardless of price, pretty much all others are built the same way with Lippert chassis, axles. Slides are not made well and tend to leak. Rubber roofs on most trailers only last 5-7 years before needing replacement. Particle board cabinets wrapped in pretty wood grain vinyl will fall apart if they ever get wet (from a plumbing leak or slider leak). Mobile Suites is probably better quality than AS but they only make 35'+ fifth wheels that require a dually to tow. The 'cult' following of the AS and the head-turing factor can't be beat, but like all RV's maintenance will be required & the systems are so-so at best.

What the RV industry needs is an independent standards setting organization like the boating industry. Boats have American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) that sets standards (voluntary) for OEM's to follow (full disclosure, I'm an ABYC member). It's not perfect, but it's much better than the RV industry. The RV industry has RVIA but that seems to be some sort of secret-squirrel organization that no-one but an OEM can join and they don't publish their standards for anyone to obtain, so there's basically no enforceable standards for construction.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
This is our 3rd Airstream (6 TT's total) and once we figured out that JC Service is the 'final inspection' point (IMO) we are extremely pleased with the product.

One of our trailers was a 17' Casita SD. Impeccable construction and actually never needed warranty service in 2 years. However, they have a very small product line (no pun intended) and have been producing them for a long time.

But, there's still nothing like an Airstream and JC has always come through for us.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:07 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Annapolis , Maryland
Ok this thread is making me nervous. We ordered a 2021 GT 30RBQ. We live in Maryland and there is no AS dealer anywhere close. Sounds like I should expect to make frequent trips to JC. This is really making me question our AS choice over some fiberglass box that is 1/2 the price. Granted the box would require more frequent service, but at least there are plenty of local places to get those serviced.
RV4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Kinda misses the point.

Comparing airstream quality to the quality of some other brands really misses the point. Would you run a company with the mandate that quality only has to be slightly better than the competition and no more?

I remember using the same line of reasoning when trying to explain to Mom how my room was clean enough as is, especially when compared to my friend's room. To my astonishment, she remained unmoved by my dazzling logic.

Those in pursuit of excellence do not measure themselves against others, but against the infuriating standards of perfection, unattainable ideals, which, maddeningly, they know beforehand are unattainable. These insanely focused individuals are driven by unrelenting forces within that push the outward boundaries of the possible. They are the ones who rewrite the textbooks, smash the old records, and set new standards. They make folks afflicted with mere OCD seem like unshaven, disheveled slobs. The only thing worse than being close to someone like this is to be someone like this.

Take Steve Jobs, for instance; a man who by all accounts of those who worked for him was a major A**, and yet, in these same accounts testify they did the best work of their lives under him.

Can you imagine if Apple were run like Airstream? Poor workmanship, constant trips to Apple stores to fix endless problems, having to travel to Cupertino to get it fixed right? Airstream customers are right to complain, and if Thor were smart, they would listen intently to every complaint and criticism.

Great execs, in truth, are usually their own worst critics, and in fact, are eager to hear the critical comments from their customers, because that tells them exactly where they can most effectively manage change to increase customer satisfaction, gain market advantage and improve the brand.

While some of the complaints on this forum are from angry customers who feel betrayed by a broken brand promise, others are from those who love the Airstream brand, but are disappointed in the execution of the brand promise in their trailer, and would like to see that addressed so the brand does not whither and die. Far worse than hearing criticism is not to hear it.

If Airstream changed its focus to building trailers the way Apple builds its products, or even just the way most automakers build their vehicles with continuous improvement processes Instead of being focused myopicly only on costs and profit, the profit would take care of itself and they would enjoy even greater success in the marketplace.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
. . .
If Airstream changed its focus to building trailers the way Apple builds its products, or even just the way most automakers build their vehicles with continuous improvement processes Instead of being focused myopicly only on costs and profit, the profit would take care of itself and they would enjoy even greater success in the marketplace.
Quite doubtful if the marketplace would support this IMO, but thanks for the thoughtful delineation of the issues.

"Mo' profit . . . " being the incessant mantra, on the hubris-laden devolutionary road to final entropy IMO.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:30 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4Mark View Post
Ok this thread is making me nervous. We ordered a 2021 GT 30RBQ. We live in Maryland and there is no AS dealer anywhere close. Sounds like I should expect to make frequent trips to JC. This is really making me question our AS choice over some fiberglass box that is 1/2 the price. Granted the box would require more frequent service, but at least there are plenty of local places to get those serviced.
You are asking the right questions, especially with all the fancy-dancy gadgets now installed . . . [IMO]

Caveat Emptor.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
. . .
Take Steve Jobs, for instance; a man who by all accounts of those who worked for him was a major A**, and yet, in these same accounts testify they did the best work of their lives under him.
. . .
Or Elon Musk with Tesla . . . amazing visionaries who fabricated their companies out of whole cloth basically.

Not the situation here at all IMO.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:01 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:

Don’t sweat it, we bought a new 2019 27 International Serenity FBQ with all the options. Had two minor issues in the first year with over 60 nights and 5000 miles. One was a defective skylight which was replaced, the other a door alignment issue which we noticed 6 months in when the sun hit it right. While at the dealer for those had them look at some other really minor stuff I could have dealt with but figured hey it’s there anyway and I have a warranty.

The real key to happiness is go through the trailer before you accept delivery and check everything.. every system every cabinet. Make sure it works and there are no obvious issues. This will take time 3-4 hours. Our dealer walked us thru the unit checked everything with us and made sure it was right before we drove off. Next camp for a few nights either at or very close to the dealer so if something doesn’t make sense it’s easy to clarify or get it back to them.

My observation is that the folks with issues come here and raise them way more than the folks who don’t have them say “my unit is great”. Also need to factor in who’s on forums anyway. I see this across every board I use.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
Interesting question as comparing Airstream to other towables is a red apple to green apple comparison per say. From the bottom up, Dexter axles and Goodyear tires are shared by many manufacturers, especially those owned by Thor. Other components are also shared, Furion, Dometic, Samsung to name a few. There are functional differences that one could argue makes the AS better. All aluminum, no laminated panels on the exterior will check one for AS as a common complaint is decals curling, fading colors and water intrusion and delamination of exterior walls. That’s what makes the apple to apple comparison a bit of a challenge. I own a 2018 Flying Cloud and a 2020 Keystone Avalanche 5th wheel. Aside from the differences above, and absent the obvious slide / no slide distinction, I find the interior build outs to be very similar. PEX plumbing, cabinetry, flooring and overall from the factory fit and finish. I looked long and hard at the 5th wheel market and concluded that each brand has a high (premier) product, middle of the road and entry level product. AS compares very similarly to the Jayco Northpoint and Eagle products. Also similar to the Keystone Avalanche and up product line. All of these campers come from the factory with gremlins that have to be ironed out. So when you remove the nuance of what makes an AS a AS, the builds are very consistent across each makes premium brands.
jwpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
For those who mention that interior components are largely from other manufacturers, I mention that Airstream makes its own wooden cabinets. I was pleased to see this on the factory tour in JC a couple of summers ago.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
We’ve had upward of 7-8 RVs from pop-ups to diesel pushers (more than one). You can get a problem in any unit and the old line is after 3 years you’ll have the bugs out. Having said that; we have a ‘20 Classic. First Airstream and are sorely disappointed in the Alde System. What a pain. In 3 years it’s never worked right. We’ve had virtually every part replaced and it’s in the dealer’s for problems again. Of course our warranty is out but I’ve reminded JC that it was a problem from day 1 and has never worked right. The last time, when on the road, we had to rely on our extended warranty and pay the deductible. I contacted AS saying we felt they owed us that back. Never received a response. We can’t trust the system. Every trip, every single one, we have issues.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Gilroy , California
Go Bigfoot

I looked at airstream seriously for sometime. Both my son and nephew had airstreams they bought new. After one year, my nephews was destroyed and totaled in a hailstorm. My sons airstream has had nothing but problems. Some manufacturing defects, some operator error.

One error he made was leaving the awning out. The wind came up ripping the awning out and causing a repair bill of $22,000. That is just plain nuts. The problem with airstream is that it is owned by a large manufacturer and except for the exterior skin is made the exact same way that every other trailer is made, mass produced.

I wanted something like an airstream so that the roof was much more resistant to leaks, and did not have slide outs to go bad. I went with Bigfoot which is built more like a boat. It is a smaller shop not owned by a giant conglomerate. All cabinetry is solid woodAnd made by the manufacture. Unlike airstream or SOB, molding is not required around the cabinetry because it exactly fits the interior, with no gaps. The only seam is between the top half and the lower half on the sides where they are bonded. They are more expensive than SOB, but less expensive than an airstream.
Bueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Spring , Texas
Satisfied

Our 2019 30’ Serenity has only had a few minor issues, which I fixed myself easily. Did 15000 miles over 4 months last year and everything worked great. We’re happy.
StanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #35
The Tin Man

2017 27' International
SoCal , California
Here's my take:

The Airstream RV is a handmade trailer made of very high quality materials. Because it is handmade, often there are issues that need to be addressed after possession. It's like buying a (cheap) yacht: Buy it, take it on a shakedown cruise for a few months, bring it back and leave it with us with your list of thing to be done.

I have always said the best Airstream money can buy is a 2 year old Airstream because someone else has had to deal with all the little things that needed addressing.

I fell into this black hole when I bought my brand new Serenity. I tried to compare the purchase with a Mercedes Auto. You EXPECT everything to be perfect, because it IS on a MB with all the precision engineering and state of the art assembly line. I can GUARANTEE YOU YOUR AIRSTREAM WON'T BE PERFECT. Rivets will pop, roof vents will fall out, Zip Dee Relax awning won't work, etc.... No state of the art assembly line, just a couple of fine craftsmen hand making your trailer. It's almost a one-off trailer so expect small issues. Once the bugs are worked out it's a FANTASTIC rolling home of the highest quality.
WBCC #4913
sandollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
The OP asked what I thought was a reasonable and simple question, which seems to have gone astray. I would also like to know if there is an objective resource for scoring the quality of manufacturers in the industry. Airstream might be among the best despite the postings on this forum, or it may objectively getting worse compared to others. Is there such a resource ?

I did find this group selling a report, and Airstream is listed, but no idea if it is a reputable source....

https://rv.org/pages/2019-towables-ratedhttps://rv.org/pages/2019-towables-rated
Fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
San Luis Obispo , California
Red face Long way around

My first AS was a much used 1956 Bubble. Once I towed it home and got to really examine it, I realized it was pretty much a mess. Removed everything including the rotting, mildewed floor. Had the axel turned for more clearance, reinforced frame, etc. then started on inside. All junked; some shipped gratis to restoration folks. Bought the best I could find of everything, hired talented sheet metal worker, electric, wood work, plumbing guys I could find.
So, talent & $$$. Two years and $30,000 later, I have a great trailer. Is it an Airstream anymore? That’s what I call it. But it shows what can be accomplished when top quality is the only goal.
Little Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Quote:
Lots of anecdotal thoughts on this thread; I think most AS owners have a pretty positive experience, though. We had a 2004 Safari 25 that had some issues, but nothing serious. Taking it to Jackson Center for repairs was actually a great experience. Our 2019 FC27 has been great...superior quality from the start. No looking back here.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Abilene , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
IMO: The aluminum shell, the rounded shape, and torsion axels are the only things that make the Airstream better. All of the rest of the trailer components, including craftsmanship, are available on other trailers.
Speaking of the aluminum shell. Has anyone else had the front rock guard brackets completely break out of the exterior aluminum shell?? Mine have on both sides leaving gapping holes in the exterior aluminum. Not really sure why they didn’t attach them to more substantial substructure instead of the thin aluminum skin?? Very poor design in my opinion.
Alumalemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Myrtle Point , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikati View Post
I have zero basis for comparison, but I can testify that I am disappointed with our 2020 Atlas. After one trip to dealer for minor stuff, the slider went bad (frame twisted). It's been under repair for a month now and we have had to cancel some campsite reservations. We don't know if it's a design problem or the long delay in obtaining parts or maybe the dealer did something wrong on the first repair. Anyway it's a bummer not to have our motorhome for which we mortgaged our home. RELIABILITY is our chief concern. 'cause we have a cross-country trip planned for September.
For the sake of reliability, I would never again purchase any motorhome built on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. We have a Sprinter based Leisure Travel Van Unity and twice, in 17K miles, have had wheel sensor failures, which basically put you "dead in the water" until they are fixed. Still under warranty, but MB Sprinter service centers are few and far between, especially in the remote areas where we like to roam.
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote