Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
City , California
Angry When your airstream service shop lets you down...

Hi All -

Mostly just asking for advice on how to deal with our certified airstream repair place to actually FIX things instead of cutting corners and putting bandaids on bullet holes.

Long story short, our above kitchen storage fell off on one side and we took it in for repairs in August. They did a "temporary fix" and held it up by basically washers with screws through them and none actually through the metal supports holding it to the wall. It subsequently fell down again in September and we brought it back in for them to formally fix it in November. They stated that they would put additional support to keep it on the wall. We pick up our rig and find that it is again held up only by washers, the wood is still fractured, and there are huge gaps where it meets the wall. They were unable to finish all the repairs in the almost 4 months time they had our rig, so we have to bring it back again after our trip to fix the other issues. I have reached out to airstream corporate for support with this same storage compartment issue last year, and they stated that they would call the shop to support them in this issue, but that obviously didn't do anything.

Sorry this is more of a rant than anything, but I am just wondering if anyone has any additional advice...I just want my rig fixed so it can be used and not in the shop more than it is being used.
Dmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I'm sure the answer from most is to get it properly repaired at the Jackson Center factory. I know that is not a convenient answer, but that will get it fixed right.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 01:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Please name the repair shop

It’s fair to tell us who let you down so that the rest of us can avoid them. All they had to do was make a good faith attempt at the repair but, if your story is correct and I’ve no reason to doubt it, they couldn’t, not even with four months to do so.

In addition, seeing your story here could get them to straighten up and fly right, both for you and for the next customers.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #4

2022 20' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
Based on my experience, trying to get a bad shop to do good work is an exercise in frustration. There are reasons behind their poor performance that you're not necessarily seeing but that you're not going to be able to change. Could be poor management, understaffing, pressure to do things fast to get on to the next customer, general chaos...who knows? Just move on to a better shop where you can be treated like any other customer, rather than trying to get them to perform better just for you. That's not necessarily Jackson Center but it may not be the dealer closest to you, or where you bought your trailer.
kenpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
You appear to be in California, so you might want to check with Vinnie at North Bay Airstream. As far as I know, he does not do warranty work, but does do excellent work which it sounds like you need

Tkm
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 05:20 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would strongly suggest that you name names. The only way we all can move forward is by knowing who to avoid.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:47 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
It’s fair to tell us who let you down so that the rest of us can avoid them. All they had to do was make a good faith attempt at the repair but, if your story is correct and I’ve no reason to doubt it, they couldn’t, not even with four months to do so.

In addition, seeing your story here could get them to straighten up and fly right, both for you and for the next customers.
The work was done at South Bay Airstream Adventures in Morgan Hill, CA. I have gone through two service advisors since bringing it in a year ago, and they cant keep reliable staff which I think is their main issue. I attached some pictures of the work they did...I give it a good a few days before it detaches again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	412573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	412574  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	412575  
Old 03-01-2022, 06:49 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
You appear to be in California, so you might want to check with Vinnie at North Bay Airstream. As far as I know, he does not do warranty work, but does do excellent work which it sounds like you need

Tkm
Thank you! That might be our next stop.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpa View Post
Based on my experience, trying to get a bad shop to do good work is an exercise in frustration. There are reasons behind their poor performance that you're not necessarily seeing but that you're not going to be able to change. Could be poor management, understaffing, pressure to do things fast to get on to the next customer, general chaos...who knows? Just move on to a better shop where you can be treated like any other customer, rather than trying to get them to perform better just for you. That's not necessarily Jackson Center but it may not be the dealer closest to you, or where you bought your trailer.
Yeah youre totally right. I'm going to see about getting it fixed somewhere else. We have to bring back the rig to the dealer one more time to fix our bumper that my husband accidentally tore off since theyre still in the middle of that repair claim, but I think it is adios after that.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:49 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post

Tkm
I really wish folks would stop recommending Vinnie's North Bay, as he will not accept "new customers" and doesn't return calls. I cannot fathom how one runs a business this way. So frustrating.
kathfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic S/O
Stanton , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmvp View Post
Hi All -

Mostly just asking for advice on how to deal with our certified airstream repair place to actually FIX things instead of cutting corners and putting bandaids on bullet holes.

Long story short, our above kitchen storage fell off on one side and we took it in for repairs in August. They did a "temporary fix" and held it up by basically washers with screws through them and none actually through the metal supports holding it to the wall. It subsequently fell down again in September and we brought it back in for them to formally fix it in November. They stated that they would put additional support to keep it on the wall. We pick up our rig and find that it is again held up only by washers, the wood is still fractured, and there are huge gaps where it meets the wall. They were unable to finish all the repairs in the almost 4 months time they had our rig, so we have to bring it back again after our trip to fix the other issues. I have reached out to airstream corporate for support with this same storage compartment issue last year, and they stated that they would call the shop to support them in this issue, but that obviously didn't do anything.

Sorry this is more of a rant than anything, but I am just wondering if anyone has any additional advice...I just want my rig fixed so it can be used and not in the shop more than it is being used.

I hear you. Having same issue w/MI dealers. Way too much turnover to have any consistency with service. Mine is a major leak in outside compartments and all they do is tighten down the hatch. Still leaks and now my compartment door is a concave not flat. So pissed. We've not been able to use her for 3 yrs now.

We had other service issues over two years with dealership. Same as you, sloppy workmanship and changeover. Seems all they want to do is sell Airstream's not service them. I hope someone here has had similar issues and found a way to resolve it. I can't get JC to respond to emails.
Silver.Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 01:15 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Wow

That is some crappy work. They could of drilled a hole through that metal strip and the bottom of the cabinet and put either a screw, or small bolt through it. Not sure how they thought that washer was supposed to hold on to that metal strip.
Unless you already paid, I would take it somewhere else for the bumper.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:34 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Long Beach , California
Once upon a time (2018) I got Airstream to allow me to use a non-dealer repair shop in LA. If you call corporate and tell them about all the issues you're having, you may be able to get them to do it for you. They had heard of the shop I used, so that was easier, but it's worth a shot. You have to pay up front and it may take them a couple months to reimburse you, but it worked for me. Try to find the most reputable shop in your area and see if they'll bite. Good Luck!!
VLWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 02:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Three strikes and they are out. Look into your state's Lemon Law. It may or may not apply, but in most cases I have read about, after three tries to fix the same thing, that's it.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 03:30 PM   #15

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Lancaster , California
That's really a a shabby work and quite frankly unacceptable. Same thing happened to my upper cabinet mounted on top of the sink. It fell the first time I drove it from the dealership to home. I knew it would take a while so I went ahead and did it myself. I re-enforced the screw hole on the wood side by sticking a glued toothpick and using a epoxy glue filling the hole on the aluminum side. I made sure it only filled the hole. I waited a few days to make sure it's completely dry and then re screwed back everything using all the same hardware. I can feel that it's a lot more secure and has a tighter fit on the wall. I have taken it out a Bunch of times since then and it hasn't budge. Hope this helps.

Fying cloud 19CB 2019
WillieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathfred View Post
I really wish folks would stop recommending Vinnie's North Bay, as he will not accept "new customers" and doesn't return calls. I cannot fathom how one runs a business this way. So frustrating.
Hi, well you are half right.

Vinnie does extremely great work; I don't know of anyone better. He works on Airstreams that are year 2000 and newer only. And as a, basically, one man shop he can't take in new customers.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 04:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Since my recommendation of Vinnie was not so well received, perhaps I should shy away from another recommendation. But then, I have been known for not always being very bright.

If Vinnie is not a possibility, I would suggest checking with Vince at A to Z Motors in Winters, CA. His company mostly sells used Airstreams, but he has competent repair people and he has mentioned to me that they can take on outside work.

By the way, Vinnie did outstanding work for us and we were "new" customers. We did have to wait some time before he could get to our repair.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:00 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieD View Post
That's really a a shabby work and quite frankly unacceptable. Same thing happened to my upper cabinet mounted on top of the sink. It fell the first time I drove it from the dealership to home. I knew it would take a while so I went ahead and did it myself. I re-enforced the screw hole on the wood side by sticking a glued toothpick and using a epoxy glue filling the hole on the aluminum side. I made sure it only filled the hole. I waited a few days to make sure it's completely dry and then re screwed back everything using all the same hardware. I can feel that it's a lot more secure and has a tighter fit on the wall. I have taken it out a Bunch of times since then and it hasn't budge. Hope this helps.

Fying cloud 19CB 2019
Thanks for the advice…I wish we would have fixed the cabinet ourselves the first time around, but I figured since we were already going in for something else..what more could go wrong 🙃. Might take a look and see if we can salvage it, but I think they used some sort of epoxy or glue to hold the new screws in place with the washers. Definitely learned our lesson that it’s better to do these things ourselves. Thank good we did the solar ourselves
Old 03-01-2022, 09:17 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Gypsy View Post
I hear you. Having same issue w/MI dealers. Way too much turnover to have any consistency with service. Mine is a major leak in outside compartments and all they do is tighten down the hatch. Still leaks and now my compartment door is a concave not flat. So pissed. We've not been able to use her for 3 yrs now.

We had other service issues over two years with dealership. Same as you, sloppy workmanship and changeover. Seems all they want to do is sell Airstream's not service them. I hope someone here has had similar issues and found a way to resolve it. I can't get JC to respond to emails.
sorry to hear youre having issues as well...its so frustrating. At least its been free storage for the last year....
Old 03-02-2022, 09:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
This won’t help you with warranty work, but maybe others when it is out of warranty. Find a good, local, recommended RV shop for your needs. The problem may (or may not) be specific to Airstream, but a good RV shop can probably fix it either way. This is just my opinion, but I would rather get the problem fixed by SOMEONE rather than have it impact my use of the unit, even if I have to pay for it, in which case I would then send the bill to the dealer. The vast majority of AS owners are people with discretionary $$, so we can afford to get it fixed, and fight the battle later. Again, just my opinion. BTW, we’ve never owned an AS under warranty, but none of the three we’ve owned have ever been to a dealer for repairs, as we have an excellent RV shop near by.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote