Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
The Tin Man

2017 27' International
SoCal , California
What were they thinking????????

I took my 27FB on an adventure and for a couple of those days we were in a KOA with 50 amp hookups so I thought I would try both AC units at the same time. They worked great in the 90 degree weather we were in. The FB unit came on and when it hit the set temp, it would turn off. Perfect! The main unit however would not turn off so I kept changing the temp to see if I could get it to turn off as it was freezing us out!

Turns out the sensor for the front unit is mounted on the wall RIGHT BEHIND the TV and we were watching it. It was picking up the heat from the TV and interpreted that as meaning the room was still super hot.

1. What on earth were they thinking and,

2. Have any of you made any modifications to correct this inconsiderate placement?

I am going to assume this will be a similar issue in the winter with the heat when I am watching the TV?
WBCC #4913
sandollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Sorry, I can't help directly, but... What does the sensor look like? Is it in the wall or attached to it? Could you just add a pigtail and move it?
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Heya - what's worse is when the little thermostat sensor wire falls into the wall next the fridge and constantly reads 85 degrees

I have the same issue with my 30'. Poor placement of the main room thermostat lead.....
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
What were they thinking????????

Engineer: a person that turns great concepts into malfunctions.

I suspect Airstream has a lot of this kind of "engineers" designing stuff like this.

Followed by the "what the hell were they thinking?" Question

The correct answer is they were not...and did not consider the base function of the sensor...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said, rmkrum!

Here are the search results for "thermostat sensor behind TV" which will help you find the many other threads, in a variety of different forums, discussing similar issues:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ther...=airforums.com

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- The new search function in the blue-bordered box, at the top of the page, works great, in contrast to the old search function in the blue menu bar above. FYI and FWIW.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:16 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Engineer: a person that turns great concepts into malfunctions.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

When I worked for a living, I lived by the famous Engineer's creedo: "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."

In my Airstream Interstate, the thermostat for the A/C and furnace is mounted directly behind the rear television. Luckily the television is on a swing-away mount and can be moved away from the thermostat.

I do not believe it was an engineer who decided where to place the thermostat. I believe it was an interior designer.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
I had the factory move my rear thermostat on my 26U. They decided to put it at the edge of the wall by the hall way. Works great now. Before that the front AC thermostat would say it's 72 degrees and the back would be 89 even though it was obviously much cooler back there.

-Alan
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Why does everyone think the thermostat came after the TV? Who decided to put the TV in front of the thermostat?

Kinda like, who decided to put the fresh water tank under the floor screws, in the Basecamps.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The problem here is a remote sensor for the stat, not the stat itself, and the sensor is buried in a crazy location which gets hot at times. The search results posted before will disclose other situations where the sensor got moved, similar to AlanMcD. A fairly simple solution if possible in the particular AS under discussion.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
"PS -- The new search function in the blue-bordered box, at the top of the page, works great, in contrast to the old search function in the blue menu bar above. FYI and FWIW. "

Peter, how true and flies in the face of people complaining about the poor search function!

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The thermostat on my 1994 Classic was just a few inches away from the window. It would constantly cause the furnace to cycle from the window draft. I moved it close to isle way and solved all the short cycling problems and the temperature stays very even now.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Airstream engineers - are you reading this? Pretty please do.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:46 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Perry , Georgia
I did not realize that the sensor for the thermostat was not built into the thermostat itself, like the ones in home units.

Good info.

john
J-K Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Having been involved in one degree or another in the RV world since 1969, I am totally convinced that most RV company owners, and their head engineers have never spent much, if any time, in the product their company produces.

I'm talking about both from a living standpoint, and from a maintenance standpoint....

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:26 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
the woodlands , Texas
We had the same issue on our 2017 25' FB Flying Cloud. I thought it was broken so when we took it to Jackson Center for warranty work asked about it and was told the sensor is between the TV and refrigerator. Due to the layout of that model, I was told there really wasn't a better place to put it. We are just dealing with it by adjusting the temperature on the thermostat to where it is comfortable, no matter what the numbers say. Anyone else with this floor plan have a better solution? Thanks.
Leslieotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:48 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Graham , Washington
I have the same issue. Also the wall gets quite warm from the fridge. Was thinking of disconnecting the remote sensor and using the thermostat sensor for both zones.
h2ocoolerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #17

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Exclamation New Search Box - WHERE IS IT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
"PS -- The new search function in the blue-bordered box, at the top of the page, works great, in contrast to the old search function in the blue menu bar above. FYI and FWIW. "
Larry
FYI ... Reminders to use the new search box need to mention SIGN IN ... otherwise the new blue-bordered box is not visible. At least, not on my computer! Reading the Daily composite and linking into the forum is not enough ... gotta sign in to post or see new Search Box.
JazzJaeschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:53 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Pretty much every layout has this "feature". It is not unique to one model, or even to one year. They bump it a bit this way or that, but the sensor always is in that vicinity.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
One work-around for all remote sensors, is to change the temperature setting for that zone, according to how out-of-whack the remote location temp is.

For instance, if the OP's remote sensor behind the TV is in a space which is 95 degrees Fahrenheit, just change the A/C temp setting for that zone to above or below 95, depending on which way you want to budge the temp in the room in question.

Kind of a rinky-dink solution, which requires periodic manual adjustment, but at least you can get that zone to work right for the given temp in the room in question, at least for a spell.

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Personally I would just drill a hole through the wall or door, and mount the remote sensor in the room it is meant to control, at a height which is logical!

What is so objectionable about seeing the remote sensor? Have we become so sensitive that we cannot handle this? Gag me with a spoon . . !

Old 08-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-K Georgia View Post
I did not realize that the sensor for the thermostat was not built into the thermostat itself, like the ones in home units.

Good info.

john
Guessing your owner's manual has this information in it, or the Dometic manual included with your AS paperwork?