Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
What were the AS engineers thinking?

When they lapped the interior aluminum sheets in the shower the wrong way so the water runs into the insulation. Kind of like shingling a roof backwards so the water runs under all of shingles instead of over them. They also did this with the belly pan on my Argosy. Also they didn't put any bracing under a large area of the bathroom floor. So it became warped and springy. I'm sure the rest of you have a few "What were they thinking's" to add to this..... so pile them on.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Simple. Don't put non marine grade waterproof particle board (or any non marine grade plywood) in any airstream.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
When they lapped the interior aluminum sheets in the shower the wrong way so the water runs into the insulation. Kind of like shingling a roof backwards so the water runs under all of shingles instead of over them. They also did this with the belly pan on my Argosy. Also they didn't put any bracing under a large area of the bathroom floor. So it became warped and springy. I'm sure the rest of you have a few "What were they thinking's" to add to this..... so pile them on.
The correct over lapping has always been followed by Airstream and Argosy production, in the interior.

Perhaps a previous owner took some things apart.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The correct over lapping has always been followed by Airstream and Argosy production, in the interior.

Andy
Not likely, even the vinyl on the aluminum is trimmed off at an angle and the factory rivets were all in place on the top piece. It all looked factory and un molested.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I'm guessing they were in a hurry on the production floor. The engineers designed it correctly, but the new guy screwed it up on installation, and the inspector just told them to put extra caulk on it and let the dealer fix it when it was brought in under warranty.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
My 73 Argosy has the interior skin overlapped the wrong way also. The interior skin has never been touched. On my to-do list is to adequately seal those seams before we use the shower.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote