Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
South , Mississippi
What type of caulk to use to seal roof panels and window frames?

I saw that HomeDepot sells the Tremco Vulkem 116, so I went there a couple hours ago. I would have ordered the TremPro Vulkem 635 online, since it's supposed to be the "best", but it was pouring here today and I just discovered a leak a couple days ago from it pouring a week ago. Kinda just want to seal this stuff up. I'm fairly certain it's leaking above the window where the previous owners just installed a 2nd air conditioner.

Soo... I just wanted something earlier today and bought the two best options at Home Depot --
-----------------------

(1) OSI Quad Advanced Formula Sealant - for Window, Door, & Siding - Gray - Use on ... aluminum
+ Specifications - Meets or exceeds the performance characteristics of: ASTM C 920, Type S, NS, Class 25, NT. Federal Spec. TT-S-001657 Type 1; TT-S-00230C.

(2) DAP Dynaflex 230 - Premium Indoor/Outdoor Sealant for Flashing, Trim, Doors, Windows, Siding, & Molding - Aluminum Gray
+ Specifications - Exceeds Fed. Spec. TT-S-00230C, Type II, Class A. Exceeds ASTM C 920, Class 25 & ASTM C 834, Type C, Grade NS.

-----------------------

Or is the TremPro 635 really worth waiting a week for it to ship?? I don't think it'll be raining again over the weekend, at least.... so if it's really worth it for the TremPro, I'll wait... otherwise, I should just use one of the one's I've already got, no??
grndslm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
As they say, all Airstreams leak or are gonna leak. I've had good luck with old fashioned Vulcum 116. It does the job for me. And the Airstream Acryl R seam sealer should work well for your seam leaks, at least it fixed mine.

Silicone calks won't work well on our aluminum skinned friends.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I haved used DAP dynaflex 230 and found it to have very good results. I have one unit where it was applied 2 years ago with direct sunlight exposure every day and it still looks like new. With any good sealant its important to keep an eye on it as everything fails in time. Trem Pro 635 is also a very good choice for seams IMHO.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote