Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Huntington Beach , California
What to look for when buying a used AS

Hi all.
I put the title of this thread in the search function of airforums and came up with 4666 replies. None of the replies I read seemed to answer my question of what should one look for before purchasing a <10 year old used Airstream . I am pretty handy with tools but I'm not looking for a project. The missus and I are looking to do some long road trips and I would like to enjoy the trips instead of going from one repair facility to the next.

I have been a boat owner for 50 years and pretty much can look at a used boat, figure out the major projects that need to be done, do a cost analysis in my head and figure out what I'm getting into. I have no idea what the major things are that break on an AS. I'm not worried about the little stuff, it's the stuck on the side of the road or having to sleep on the ground stuff I'm worried about. Any suggestions where to look or a better way to phrase my search inquiry?

Thank you in advance for the help.
BoatNutG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Welcome to the AS forums.

First of all, if you came from boatland then you already have the right perspective.

From my viewpoint, there is not a lot to be concerned about as far as safety on a rig that new that would not also apply to a brand-new unit. Have good tires at the right air pressure, a good hitch set up, and a good tow vehicle, safety mirrors, a rested driver, good driving conditions, and route knowledge. So with that out of the way, we move onto the AS systems itself.

Again, very little would ever keep you from sleeping in the unit, even if something broke. So don't worry about it too much.

As to what to inspect or consider on a newer but not new unit, it would be to check for water tight seals on the roof, belt line, windows, and door and try to verify if any evidence of leaks is present.

Appliances are fickle and will all eventually break. So I would not worry much about those one way or the other, except to know what condition you are buying to set a fair price.

Shower and sink plumbing should be inspected for leaks.

Read up on the forums on the unit you buy so you can find out about typical problem areas and address them.

A well cared for unit will look feel and smell nearly new. These are not big, and are easy to keep clean. I would not buy a unit that didn't give this vibe.

The only other thing I can think of is the freshwater system. We are big on always draining ours completely after every use and cleaning and shocking each spring. We also drain the hot water heater each time. Others may not. These can be sources of mildew or slime build up etc if not well maintained. I would recommend opening the drain plug on the hot water heater and giving a sniff test.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
As with a boat, a trailer has a love/hate relationship with water. Make sure water has not infiltrated where it's not supposed to. A leaky trailer will have soft spots where water has rotted the floor. Also make sure the plumbing it tight, and water is not getting out. Again, the greatest damage will be to the floor. Make sure the floor is secure and strong.

Then stay vigilant with maintenance. Most standard maintenance procedures will alert you to problems before they arise; think bearings, brakes, tires, for example.

The rest is just addressing problems as they arise. Yeah, you may have "side of the road" episodes, but they will be infrequent.

$0.02
Old 01-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Helpful inspection checklist,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...8&d=1215128295

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Make sure to get proof of all repairs made. I keep printouts of all the repairs done on my trailer in my Airstream binder.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
An RV is a boat with wheels.....instead of a hole in water you pour a lot of time and money into, it's a pothole on land that you pour a lot of time and money into. Exact same rules apply to buying a trailer or motorhome as do a sailboat or powerboat.

You will also find that as with boaters plying the same waters, sail boaters and power boaters have very different problems; trailer people and motorhome drivers also have very different problems, but travel the same highways.

You will also find the same systems as on a boat and much the same technics to fix things (I used Coosa board to fix my sub floor). Most RV systems are also marine based, maybe minus the waterproofing.

I don't think you will have a problem figuring it out easily, just push every button to see what happens and poke your head into every nook, cranny and hole to look for mold and water damage. If you can bring a small bore scope to poke around underneath to see the frame.

The same rules apply; if stored inside the boat/trailer will be in better shape than one stored outside over grass.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I would caution you that body work on Airstreams is very expensive. Don't be taken in by an otherwise good trailer, except for "a couple of end panels that are damaged", unless the price reflects the cost of repair.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
If your nose isn't happy from minute one, walk. Remember the trailer could've been constantly occupied for several years time - anything cooked, anything died, anything breeding there is likely still there! If you think I'm kidding around g'won and ignore me until that 3rd or 5th week when the allergies kick in or the sinuses start hammering.

I kid you not. At worst it should smell a little like a summer camp mess hall or sleeping barracks, the aroma of a 1950's ladies handbag w/ a cosmetics & spices smell is a good sign - the smell of rot, outhouse, rats/mice or a street-persons clothing should* mean they pay you to haul it away.

The surface area of unreachable/uncleanable surfaces is huge - I found a thumbprint on a rear endcap panel that had a 30-inch fairy ring of mold/mildew sprouting from it when I peeled off the old pink fiberglass.

Oh - AND everything everybody else said too!
Old 01-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Why less than ten years old? I know you could not find a trailer any better than my 2006 built in June 2005. I have had the factory maintain it, saved all the receipts, added many features and modification , including Lew Ferber's solar/ lithium system. And, it is been under cover. I would not sell it, period. The point is there a more out there, but you have to look and investigate. If you are worried about financing a trailer that is 10 years old go talk to a banker who is familiar with Airstreams. Most loan officers only go by printed guidelines and know very little about the actual value of your collateral. Also, try Good Sam RV financing. If the ten year issue comes up, show them a portfolio on the trailer and an appraisal value. A well equipped Airstream in excellent condition could easily sell for much more than an appraisers estimated value. If you find one to your liking, buy it immediately, or it will be gone when you finally decide you really want it. That is the voice of experience my friend.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
When you find one that is of interest to you, use the Airstream Inspector closest to the trailer to help you check things out. On the right hand side of the forum you will see the fill in to find an inspector. Many of us have worked on these trailers and have a good idea of what to look for, as well as knowing the questions to ask the seller. If you have a lot of boat knowledge, you are half way there!! Good luck in your search!!! Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Look at one and find a current owner or owners and get their opinions, it could go either way, look for damage, how hard has it been used..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #12
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Huntington Beach , California
10 years is an arbitrary number to indicate I'm not looking for a restoration project. I'm looking for something ready to go with minor things to repair(water pumps, stoves, heaters, lights, fans, etc. ) which I can do myself versus broken axels, hitch, joints etc which I know nothing about. Is it reasonable to expect a 25 year old trailerto be still road ready after sitting idle for 10 years?
BoatNutG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
A trailer that has not seen the road for 10 years will probably require axle replacement. A trailer that has seen the road and has been well taken care of will be a better trailer to buy than one that has been sitting on a lot and used as a cabin. Most of us that travel with our rigs do the necessary repairs and preventative maintenance so that we will not have problems when we are on the road. Good used is what to look for, not well used! Chris
ACI #7394
1994 Excella 34'
Hensley Hitch
Old 01-29-2017, 12:14 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatNutG2 View Post
Is it reasonable to expect a 25 year old trailerto be still road ready after sitting idle for 10 years?
Regular care is more important than fewer years out of the factory. Our trailer was 27 yrs old, but came from a couple who used it frequently/regularly. Repairs and maintenance were up to date. We've had very few repairs, but have spent significant effort customizing to our taste.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:44 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
Good advice there piggy bank
Old 01-29-2017, 05:46 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
Why would axles need to be replaced because it has been sitting too long??
Old 01-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Go to the web site of Inland RV, and go to the "Articles" section, and read the write up about axles. Andy has had a lot of experience with the Airstream axles. As the "spring" is a rubber compound in the axle, it can and will deteriorate over time. This will open a "can of worms", as lots of people have different ideas on this subject. I have replaced axles, and do see a very significant difference. Chris
ACI #7394
1994 Excella 34'
Hensley Hitch
Old 01-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Never buy any rig unless you can operate the water system. Frozen and broken lines are what would keep me awake on a used purchase.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:06 AM   #19

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Airstream Inspector in southwestern MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
When you find one that is of interest to you, use the Airstream Inspector closest to the trailer to help you check things out. On the right hand side of the forum you will see the fill in to find an inspector. Many of us have worked on these trailers and have a good idea of what to look for, as well as knowing the questions to ask the seller. If you have a lot of boat knowledge, you are half way there!! Good luck in your search!!! Chris
Hi CBWELL, hopeful newbie looking to potentially purchase 23D and go full time. Never owned a RV/trailer. Suggestions on finding an expert to inspect? Or if I can do video walk through? I saw the rig briefly while I was at the dealer. Previous owner lived FT and trading in. It’s a 2011 23D. I’m not blind, and can look for water damage and obvious items, more concerned about all that I don’t know.
Thank for any suggestions!
Nibort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
It shows 23 potential inspectors in MI. Check with one of them closest to the trailer location, and see if they can be of help. Like anything used, the potential for replacement of things like A/C, hot water heater and fridge, is proportional to age and use. A trailer used full time has many more hours of use, therefore, POSSIBLY, these items will require replacement. Normal wear and tear is accelerated with full time use. This shoud be considered in the price. Look for flooring damage, upholstery damage, cabinet function(hinges and latches), door and compartment locking, electronics such as fantastic fans, radio/TV, Converters and inverters. Any number of things could be a problem. If you are handy and able to do repair/service work yourself, the costs are considerably less. Good luck!! Chris
ACI #7394
1994 Excella 34'
Hensley Hitch