Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Essex , CT
What the power!!! 97 safari

Hello all I am having power issues and not sure where to look. Started with furnace and it was blowing but not lighting consistently. Ac and fridge consistently works. We are plugged into 30 amp. Changed the battery out and am noticing that the battery when on shore power is down to 10 v. It goes back up when I turn off an appliance and some lights after a while. I have a multimeter and checked yesterday after unplugging from shore the battery was at 11.5 v. I’m confused why there is a draw when connected to shore power? Especially when furnace is not working on fully functional battery.
AnAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Have you checked to make sure the converter is working? Has the breaker for it tripped? It sounds like your problem is in that area.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAirstream View Post
Hello all I am having power issues and not sure where to look
What year is your AS?
Is your Use/Store switch in Use?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Hello all I am having power issues and not sure where to look. Started with furnace and it was blowing but not lighting consistently. Ac and fridge consistently works. We are plugged into 30 amp. Changed the battery out and am noticing that the battery when on shore power is down to 10 v. It goes back up when I turn off an appliance and some lights after a while. I have a multimeter and checked yesterday after unplugging from shore the battery was at 11.5 v. I’m confused why there is a draw when connected to shore power? Especially when furnace is not working on fully functional battery.
It sounds like your Convertor is not charging your 12v battery?

Full 12.6v
Charging 12.8v or greater
Discharging 12.5v or less
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Essex , CT
I agree is does sound like a converter issue. It is a 97 I am not sure if there is a switch that manually puts us on shore. What seems to be happening is we run off battery even when plugged in. The charger keeps working really hard to keep up and works on shore power. If we put a lot of needs on the battery it inevitably can’t keep up. Do you know if there is a switch?
Old 10-12-2020, 06:39 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Essex , CT
I have a switch for the battery that turns it off this kills power to the entire as
Old 10-12-2020, 06:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Essex , CT
Sorry and this is a 97 safari
Old 10-12-2020, 06:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Essex , CT
Thanks Terry my converter must be flawed. Inverter isn’t tripped. I’m wondering if the converter should also bypass the battery into main system. If so there should be a manual switch......
Old 10-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Your battery 12 volt system runs all the lights, the fridge controls, the furnace controls, the Hot water heater controls, the A/C controls, as well as other systems in your trailer. If you have the original power converter in your trailer, the odds are it is "toast". Replace it with a 4 stage charge converter. I have replace many old Univolts with the Progressive Dynamics PD9245 with excellent results.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Sorry and this is a 97 safari
Do you have a Use/Store switch by the door?
Is it in Use position?
The converter won't charge your batteries unless it is in Use position when on shore power.

When on shore power your converter is supposed to provide the 12 volt DC power. This happens as soon as you plug into shore power. The light on the Use/Store switch panel should be RED, indicating the presence of 12 volt DC, regardless of the position of the switch.

Because converters were only 2 stage in early model AS it was possible to overcharge a battery, so the Use/Store switch allowed the converter to provide all the necessary 12 volt DC necessary and optionally recharge the batteries (Use position).

If the switch is in Use position but the batteries are not being recharged then your converter needs to be replaced with a 4-stage charger. If the light is not red when plugged into shore power and you have 12 volt DC lighting inside, only when the switch is in Use position, then same thing, the converter needs to be replaced. If you have totally drained the batteries and they won't hold a charge then you probably need to replace those as well.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Some trailers from the 80s and 90s had a switch to shut off the converter 120v power. Some were between the door and front window, some were near the store/use switch.
EDIT; In the 80s and into the 90s, (not sure how long) the store/use was actually a manual battery disconnect switch near the batteries/converter.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Essex , CT
Thanks for your input. There is a switch close to the door that powers the outlet that the converter is plugged into. I do not have a light. I know the converter is working because I hear a hum. When I turn it off, there is no power to the trailer once batteries are drained. I think the converter is probably on the fritz!
Old 10-12-2020, 07:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Essex , CT
yes you are right, there is a store or manual shut off near the battery. We also have a switch near the door that controls the converter. It seems to me that when we are plugged in, the converter should be powering the entire trailer and charging the battery. Thus, why our converter probably needs to be replaced.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
I have the same trailer.

Good, you found the switch that turns off the converter. I labeled it “ALWAYS ON” because I can’t think of a time to have it off. I stretched a piece of Velcro across the switch plate (it grips quite nicely to the mouse fur) to preclude accidental switch off when fiddling with the curtains.

Most owners of that year model have replaced the converter with a modern 3 or 4 stage . They are lighter, quieter and won’t boil your batteries if left on shore power for extended times...hey. Maybe that’s what the switch is far...

The changeover is easy and there are threads suggesting models and a very capable vendor who is a member of the forum.

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:51 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Essex , CT
ugh the mouse furr! Great idea with labeling the switch because I have no idea what is up and down most days. I will look for a new converter, which seems easy enough. Once that is in, I think I should be able to have consistent power running through the battery and converter. Do you think I should be considering a converter/ inverter combo? I went to your blog, looks like some fun adventures and very similar airstream!