Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
What Size Rivets Needed?

Found our water leaks on '85 Excella. A couple of rivets are leaking that attach the large EXCELLA name plate which is under both the curb side and street side windows. What type and size rivets should be used? The head looks similar to the rivets I removed from the interior wall panels under those windows and the front windows. Also, should I use some kind of sealant with the rivet and where? If the water is running behind the long plate does it need to be removed completely or simply replace the rivets that are leaking? Can I get the rivets locally? Such as HD etc..
Thanks for all your help. May need help later when replacing the bad part of the floor we removed. So many questions.
Tartimisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
without seeing the rivet, unless you have interior access you will be stuck using a pop rivet regardless of current rivets. If you must use pop rivets you can use a regular pop rivet, yes, obtained from local big box store like Home Cheapo or Blowes. Slather liberally with your preferred sealant, and pop away. If you're ambitious you can track down some blind rivets which are closed on the back side to limit leakability, or use Olympic rivets and shave them to match the other exterior rivets with $pecial tool$. 20 years previous my AS emblems were all attached with normal pop rivets and sealed from the inside with what appears to be rubberized undercoating, nothing high tech there.
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Excella Nameplate

Hello All. On my 1988 excella I removed all of the nameplates and in the old rivit hole in the trailer skin I installed 8-32 rivit nuts. Used vulcum around the head. Now I remounted the nameplates with stainless 8-32 machine screws. I put a dab of vulcum on the screws as I install them.
This way I can easily remove the nameplates to clean and polish under them.
Works for me. Happy camping nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
As a new owner I was a bit concerned about my rivet skills...but I purchased one of the kits from AS that has the basics of what you need. I installed some window valences on all my windows (except for front pano and rear windows). Had to rivet and I found this much easier than I'd thought. I confess that putting a drill bit into my interior aluminum was a bit unnerving.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote