Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
What maintenance or mods to have done at Jackson Center?

We are visiting Jackson Center for a tour in late July, but also don't want to lose the opportunity to have any maintenance done at the same time that is best done at the factory. Thus, we reserved a day in the shop.

We have a great maintenance facility in Sanders RV in Alachua, Florida, but we live six hours away.

How best to use that opportunity at the mothership? No repairs are needed.

Are there maintenance items or modifications to a well-kept, 2012 AS Flying Cloud 27 FB (7-year trailer!) that you feel are best done at the factory?

What are some of these items?

And for those who have visited with a similar issue, what did you have done at Jackson Center, or wish you had had done there after you visited?

We want to avoid our beating ourselves up after the fact for not seizing on the opportunity, and know this community will provide the right information!

Thanks!
fotoman1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
- check exterior caulking
- missing rivits?
- check soundness of the belly pan - missing any rivits, are the fasteners that hold the gas line tight? Do you have a holder for the sewer pipe? Is it still fastened properly? While working on a family members 2007 AS trailer I found many deficiencies under the trailer that needed attention.
- clean the exterior coils on the AC unit
- window hardware?

- Does anything need replacing inside or outside that can only be sourced from the factory?

Think about preventative maintenance items or things you don't want to do yourself.

Walk around and make a list.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I start my list with "check running gear".
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
In 2015 we were there to have a soft spot in the front of our 2006 AS repaired. I had taken out everything in the front third of the trailer and peeled back the linoleum. At the same time we wanted the roof looked at. The JC technician assigned to us said the caulking was old and should be stripped and repaired, so we had that done. It took an entire day (8 hours) at $120/hour. We also had a pressure test and an external water spray done to test for leaks. Both tests showed no leaks. We had these done because the soft spot was obviously from rain. The technician said the PO probably repaired the leak but not the soft spot. They didn't find any leaks, so we have peace of mind for now.

It's been 3 1/2 years and there's no rotten wood smell in the AS so we're happy about that. It was expensive to have the stripping and re-caulk done, but I'm 72 and nervous about climbing up there and falling off. It was expensive but cheaper than a hospital stay.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
In 2015 we were there to have a soft spot in the front of our 2006 AS repaired. I had taken out everything in the front third of the trailer and peeled back the linoleum. At the same time we wanted the roof looked at. The JC technician assigned to us said the caulking was old and should be stripped and repaired, so we had that done. It took an entire day (8 hours) at $120/hour. We also had a pressure test and an external water spray done to test for leaks. Both tests showed no leaks. We had these done because the soft spot was obviously from rain. The technician said the PO probably repaired the leak but not the soft spot. They didn't find any leaks, so we have peace of mind for now.

It's been 3 1/2 years and there's no rotten wood smell in the AS so we're happy about that. It was expensive to have the stripping and re-caulk done, but I'm 72 and nervous about climbing up there and falling off. It was expensive but cheaper than a hospital stay.

Great advice. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2019, 10:18 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
I start my list with "check running gear".

Will do! Thank you!