Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Gastonia , North Carolina
What is the protocol?

My first post was a question about future use of my new AS. Got some good responses that got me thinking. My next question is about my plastic wheel wells. I've gutted the entire interior including all panels, insulation , and wiring. I got all the screws that hold the wheel well to the side wall but can't see where they are attached to the floor. The entire rear floor was rotted so I've removed it to just a few inches behind the wheel wells. The rest of the floor isn't horrible, but there is some rot up front and I really enjoyed getting the insulation and animal parts out of the belly, so it's looking like this will turn into a shell off. So far the frame is looking better than I expected. One outrigger is a little lacy on the bottom, the very rear cross member has disintegrated, and the angle supporting the holding tank is toast. Can't see the main beams behind the axles yet. Hopefully the front end is no worse.

So here's my bigger question. I need a little protocol guidance within the site. I will always try searching topics before I ask you a question, but I might not be doing that right. Didn't find anything concerning the plastic fenders. Also, do I just ask questions in the specific forum like plumbing, electrical etc? Or do I ask them in the model specific area for my '70 Sovereign? Do you recommend for noobs to keep a running thread with all improvements and questions as I go? There's gonna be a lot so I want to be organized and follow your suggestions. Just need my hand held a little till I get the hang of it.
drchris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I'm not sure there is a protocol per say. I started a thread "Aviators 1970 Restomod". When I post a question, I just try to find the closest category be it electric or plumbing......
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Thanks. You know how it is. New kid on the block, just want to play by the rules!
Old 06-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Dont feel bad, i think most folks, me included, have some trouble getting how things work on the forum here. Dont get me wrong, its my absolute " go to" resource and there are some incredibly knowledgeable and patient folks here that will help you along your journey. Ive had the most problem with the search function where ill do a search, come up empty, and then post a question thats been discussed to death on a thread i didnt find. I feel like i am then waisting peoples time by asking a question that has been answered over and over again. But the folks here are kind and patient. You'll get the hang of it, im still learning myself after a year here. (Im kinda slow with the tech thing). Good luck with your rehab!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Welcome - I'm a new kid on the block too. I've been forging ahead using the same guidelines that you are using. It has worked out great for me. I've received two pieces of constructive criticism so far:

1) Start a new thread; Don't resurrect an old one.
2) Include photos that illustrate the problem whenever possible when asking for help.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Thanks! Speaking of which...I thought I was half-way computer savvy and I can't seem to load a photo in a post, only to my profile on the main page. Ugh!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchris66 View Post
Also, do I just ask questions in the specific forum like plumbing, electrical etc? Or do I ask them in the model specific area for my '70 Sovereign? Do you recommend for noobs to keep a running thread with all improvements and questions as I go? There's gonna be a lot so I want to be organized and follow your suggestions. Just need my hand held a little till I get the hang of it.
It's just common sense. If it's a problem that's not unique to one model or year of trailer, ask questions in the repair forum related to the problem (plumbing, electrical, whatever). Readers with other models may have insight into the problems you face.

If it's a problem that you suspect unique to a model or year, go for the model/year forum. Same is true if you're just posting pictures of your progress to date without trying to illustrate a particular problem.

You won't really have any problem keeping your various forum threads straight. On your UserCP, you'll have access to every thread you've ever posted in, regardless of which subforum it's in, as long as you stay subscribed to the thread. You're automatically subscribed to any forum thread you start, and any you post in that some else started. To clear a thread out of your UserCP because you've lost interest in it, all you have to do is select the thread and unsubscribe to it.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
What is the difference between "Subscribed" and " Participated"? They look like the same threads to me.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Heydrchris66 just ask any question concerning your airstream and select the go advanced button add the photos and many of us will offer opinions some useful some not and sometimes worth a chuckle or two. When you go advanced and choose the pic to upload preview the post to May sure that your pic made. The moderators are really helpful and will guide you through .
Cliff