Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
What is a good way to oil this fan?

Hi AS Community, ...Today I was up on top cleaning the AC unit. And I think this is the condensor fan. It's the large fan that faces the sky....and it's in need of oiling. Recently after the unit has been running, this fan will stop turning and I end up having to shut it off to oil.
Does any one know a good way to get oil to where it needs? I have zoom spout and two other lithium spray oils, and am going back up there tomorrow.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
It sounds like the bearings in that fan motor are at "end of life". If they were to be lubed, one would usually see oil tubes or rubber stoppers at each end (bearing caps) of the motor.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Once the bearings have actually seized you are pretty much in for a new motor. Sometimes you can oil bearings before they go south but these motors are cheap and designed to fail. What happens is the bushings run out of oil and become scored and no amount of oil at that point will fix them. Usually there is an oil port in the motor housing but there may not even be that. A new motor is probably going to cost $150. You need to also check and see if the shaft is free or not. Sometimes the capacitor will go bad and the motor will sit there and hum. My motor was full of dirt dauber nests and the bearings and capacitor were bad. I figured by the time I spent $200 on this thing that something else would die, so I bought a new unit.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Yes - thanks, I am aware that there should be a couple of plugs or even holes to lube the motor. It's the problem of GETTING to the motor from the sides so I can get to those plugs or outlets. The fan is enclosed with the metal walls. with one wall (towards the rear of the Airstream) that is a vent. But today one way or the other I will get in there and will see where to oil. The motor is not worn out it just needs a good application of oil.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Thats what I am checking on today, I am just not sure about which wall to take off to get to it to be seen from the side- below the fan.