Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
What glue to re attach black edging?

Hi, What glue/adhesive should I use in my 2007 Intl to reattach the black edging on the bathroom walls and kitchen? Im sure its something simple from Home Depot or Lowes but wanted to check first.
Thanks
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Still need an answer on this please anyone?? hello??
Thanks
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
Hi, What glue/adhesive should I use in my 2007 Intl to reattach the black edging on the bathroom walls and kitchen? Im sure its something simple from Home Depot or Lowes but wanted to check first.
Thanks
LilNomad
I have used contact cement to re-attach laminate before. I am guessing that is what the factory used (actually, a call to the Airstream service center might be a good idea as they will have a definitive answer for you, just a thought....). When I really want it to stay I will clean the previous glue with whatever solvent I have around (lacquer thinner, acetone) scuff the surface with some sandpaper and use West System Epoxy. Once attached with West the edging is going to stay. I avoid the 5 minute type epoxy's for this type of repair as they are just not the same.

If you decide to use West or something like it be careful as any that is not cleaned up immediately can be pretty permanent.

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
Anytime i need to reattach something i use 3m automotive tape available at lordco etc.Used for attaching trim on cars. Its a grey double sided tape with a red plastic peel off outer . Great stuff and can use it in many many applications.
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
Anytime i need to reattach something i use 3m automotive tape available at lordco etc.Used for attaching trim on cars. Its a grey double sided tape with a red plastic peel off outer . Great stuff and can use it in many many applications.
Doesn't that leave a gap? I work with that tape all the time and it is great fro things like badges where there was tape to begin with but on edge trim?
Never tried it there myself so I can't be critical....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote