Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2003, 06:41 AM   #61
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
When you put them back in put anti-sieze on them, they will come out a lot better next time.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:20 AM   #62
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Went Camping - Finally

We finally went camping in the 345! It was nice to spend a little time in it instead of under it. Kids loved it, roasted hot dogs on an open fire, made samores, and goofed around. Recharged everyone's batteries. Got quite a number of "Nice Airstream" from our fellow campers - that was very cool

Saw an Excella at the KOA but the owners where never there, also saw another 345 coming south on I-65. First time I've seen another one on the road.

There was a price to all of this fun however - when we were leaving the brake pedal felt pretty soft...I added some fluid and it came right back but I noticed a wet spot under the master cylinder this morning. So...back under it this week!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:43 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Got started on the restoration of our 59. Pulled the galley and started to disassemble the bed frame and bath. Goal is to have the interrior stripped in the next 2 weeks and get started on the floor replacement by end of month.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 01:34 PM   #64

Thumbs up

Pulled our 22 ft. CCD to College Station, Texas for an Aggie football game. Dry camped in a campus parking lot two nights with a bunch of friendly folks. Great weather, great tailgating and an exciting football game.

Is this a great country or what?
4.10 Rear
Honda EU2000i
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM   #65
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Not much

I did some small trailer-oriented tasks in my workshop. I'm working on a design for a wine rack to go on top of the refrigerator in the trailer. Also, I am doing some minor redesign on the folding table I built last winter.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 08:43 AM   #66
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Labor day weekedn

camped at Virginia beach and played at Sandbridge Va.

Last weekend cleaned out the workshop. Two loads of junk (8 x4 x4 trailor) to the dumpster.

This weekedn will work on the airstream (slung ac belt again, install bilsteins, fix rear air bag pump) and wifes car.

Next weekend going to the NC state Rally at outerbanks. Will do some water skiing while there also.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:05 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Not much

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
I did some small trailer-oriented tasks in my workshop. I'm working on a design for a wine rack to go on top of the refrigerator in the trailer. Also, I am doing some minor redesign on the folding table I built last winter.
Fancy!

I'm still at needing baby bottle racks and toy boxes LOL.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 02:33 PM   #68
1 Rivet Member

Oh, for Pete's sake...it was the opening of dove season in California...we went out and "wallowed in the dirt and killed small feathered creatures." If you find that offensive, you might have changed your mind if you'd shared our dinner!
Bajaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:03 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

Re: Re: Not much

Quote:
Originally posted by 59toaster

Fancy!

I'm still at needing baby bottle racks and toy boxes LOL.
Yes, it seems we have visited the wine rack before.
Chili Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:50 PM   #70
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I ordered the carpet for the MH

No real progress on my MH, but I did finish the sale of our 1976 MH and deliver it to the new owners in GA.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:52 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Went out truck shopping.....

Drove all over NE Ohio looking for "The Truck". Could not find it. Local dealer said it was in Dealer X and Y's inventory, but we could not find it at either dealer. Was a waste of time. They took my money for a down payment, I hope they find "it".
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 03:20 PM   #72
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Packing

Spent Saturday doing odd jobs around the place and all today (Sunday) packing for a trip to Colorado Springs, leaving at about 5:30 am tomorrow.

Reinstalled my folding table that I took out when I put down the cork floor. Replaced 2 cabinet latches that had broken. The pantry has sagged just a bit and that was what broke the latch. I had to shim the new latch. Fortunately, I had spare parts.

Tires were all down to about 42# with the cool weather. They were at 50# when it was around 100 degrees a few weeks ago.

Porch light had burned out. I replaced it with an amber bulb.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 03:35 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
bite the bullet

Well I started polishing and am learning the hard way trying to do it with stuff I already own insted of biting the bullet and buying the right stuff. Which I will end up doing anyway, just have to suffer the pain before I spend the money.
Lesson learned so far is "once you start you can never go back" so looks as if I am into polishing for the long hall.
And to think I was exicited about doing this !!!!

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 03:43 PM   #74
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
We were going to go out for the weekend but didn't. Too many things to do I guess. Hopefully, we will get out again this year. I really don't want to wait too long because I need to do some work on the furnace. It's making a lot of noise. I think it may be the bearings or just the need for some oil. I haven’t had the ambition to look into it yet.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 05:29 PM   #75
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Polished the top 4 inches of my entry door. Took 2.5 hours and its still not done.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 06:06 PM   #76
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
got my fake grey tank hooked up, finally. well, mostly, anyway. had to modify the spare tire bracket in front...just had to drop it down a couple of inches w/ a couple of pieces of angle-iron attached to the original pieces w/ a couple of bolts. I ran 3/4" pex back over the axles to the poop-chute in the rear, attached it w/ pipe hangers and sheet metal screws. added 3/4 " pipe thread-male garden hose adapters on both ends, and attached to the tank and to the poop-chute outlet w/ double-female ended hoses. (you know...those things meant to attach to a blue tank from the sewer cap w/ the threaded fitting). problem is, I custom made the hose in the rear with a couple of those barbed hose-mender things; they leak. damn things never work. I'll have to pick up a new one at wally-world or possibly use a washing machine hose instead. the connection to the blue tank was made w/ a factory made double female hose....no leaks there.

but anyway, aside from the 'drip...drip....drip.." at those fittings, the system works. water drained from the sinks into the blue tank. when I disconnected the hose in the back, water siphoned out of the blue tank. I did find that if I ran the faucet at full-blast, some water would back up into the shower. it drained out nicely as soon as the faucet was shut off. So I think this is gonna work.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:52 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Protect your Silver Lady!

My wife and I took a 930 mile round trip to Chicago area, looking at a 1974 25' Tradewind (rear bath, twin beds). The exterior is very good. The blended interior shapes made me think of a Lockheed Constellation I rode in as a youngster -- with tambour thrown in for good measure.

To your trusty icepick I would recommend adding a small mirror and a pocket flashlight with new batteries. Three inches of floor near the streetside rear bumper just wasn't there -- and the plumbing was sound. There was no rippled skin or sagging tail, but a little crack in caulk between the bumper and shell on the curbside end (??). I didn't get to the vent pipe gaskets (or need to go that far anyway). The front window gasket must have been bad for years -- the floor below it is ready to go away. The top floor laminations forward of the curbside battery compartment were going. Inland-Andy's words about moisture sources are only too true.

This inspection cost me. The damp coughing feel in my throat isn't gone yet. I was smelling mold until I changed clothes after getting home. I'm not allergic to much but black mold doesn't like people. Google on the word "stachybotrys" if you want to learn more. For this reason greg176 from Vancouver, BC, junked all of his interior finishings (see photo). Mold is not fun to work with and can't be removed selectively once it invades an absorbent material (wood). Minor problems can be cleaned and sealed, but it all comes back to moisture control. I would have had to beg out on a project like this even if I had 59toaster's month off to do the needed work (or be fitted with an aluminum iron-lung afterward?!).

Preventive Maintenance -- Protect your investment -- air it out, visit it often, inspect the components!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:11 PM   #78
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Busy weekend! 9/27

Stripped out all of the cab carpet and started the replacement. I would be done if the local supply place had bothered to tell me on Friday that they are now closed on Sat. Needed a tube of clear Par Bond to seal the air intake for the univolt. This is the souce of the leak that caused me to have to repair the coach floor. I cannot finish the carpet install until I am sure the leak is fixed.

So I got the engine cover redone and all of the carpet on the drivers side is in. The carpet in the rear is finished and I have started to strip the barallel chairs.

These are interesting. Presswood base for the bolts, but the main body of the chair is made out of what looks like expanding foam insulation with a hardware cloth mesh to add strength. Now I know why they are so light.

Things seem to be coming together, now I am down to working on my punchlist.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:24 PM   #79
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This weekend as little as humanly possible!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:32 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Busy

Fixed AC by replacing the fan start capactor. Polished some and tried to find the fresh water tank leak with no luck.
Hung out on this fourm for way to many hours

garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote