Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2022, 09:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Wear & Tear On The Beach

Spent nine days at Carlsbad and San Elijos beach in our 2021 FC bunk. I was astonished at the amount of salt and sand in the air. We had 30+ mph wind five of the nine days. We were left with a trailer that looked powder coated in sand and salt. Thank goodness I had the trailer Walbernized last month. My bathroom fan failed, and now having issues with both fantastic fan sensors. I had to remove, clean and lube the window latches on the right side of the trailer. I spent $200 having the trailer cleaned, and now need to remove corrosion off some of the steel hardware on the exterior. We didn't experience this last year while in Malibu. It was windy, though the dry Santa Ana winds from the desert.

Beautiful views, though what a mess! Can't decide if I would do that again.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:13 AM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I just returned from the East coast of the Sea of Cortez where it was equally windy and my vehicle was covered with it, salty sand everywhere. Be sure to rinse the underside well if you drove in the sand, and rinse any areas where it could get trapped like all around the wheel wells and in any gaps and seams. Also rinse the cooling stack on your TV. 2 days of cleaning for one pickup truck, been doing it every year now for 13 years.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I try to always visit a Blue Beacon that has an undercarriage wash after I have spent time at the beach, and so far no long term ill effects from the sand and salt.

And I just remove everything inside and clean thoroughly.

Just all part of the beach experience.

Maggie
Old 04-18-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
We have a date with Gamble Rogers State Campground coming up soon. We've stayed at the Riverside campsite which is a few hundred feet from the beach and it's fine. No better or worse than any campground with sand or coquina ground cover. But the site coming up is beach side and I think it will be different. You're not actually on the beach, but a bit above it with some mangrove cover to block the winds a bit. But from what we've seen, we'll probably get almost the full beach experience of sand and salt while there. But that's ok. I'll clean it the best I can, not going to baby this thing to the point we can't fully enjoy it.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Same Thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I'll clean it the best I can, not going to baby this thing to the point we can't fully enjoy it.
I have always cleaned my boat up after each use or long weekends. No different for the AS. It's just part of having fun. Relax have a beverage and start cleaning
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
I have always cleaned my boat up after each use or long weekends. No different for the AS. It's just part of having fun. Relax have a beverage and start cleaning
I just spend 2 days washing and waxing it. If I relax any more, it may kill me.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Thanks for all of the reply’s. All I could think about was my fragile aluminum airstream. I never thought of comparing it to my boat. All is good!!!
Old 04-21-2022, 05:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Too Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I just spend 2 days washing and waxing it. If I relax any more, it may kill me.
I bet it looks awesome and you are very proud of your hard work.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:40 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I used an electric pressure washer with relatively low pressure (1600 PSI) to wash the trailer and under carriage after a run from JC back to Fort Worth in the winter. Worked good.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
I bet it looks awesome and you are very proud of your hard work.
It does look nice. Washing and waxing the Rv and cars is very therapeutic. There’s virtually no thought involved. It’s almost like meditation. Mowing the lawn and interior painting are very similar. Just turn your brain off for a few hours and admire the results when your done.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:29 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tallahassee , Florida
Had a three day weekend at Fort Pickens, Florida. All I can say, a lot of wind and salt. Washed the Airstream with soap and water when I got home.
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:43 AM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Didn't own an Airstream at the time but stayed at a campground in St. Augustine Fl. Was parked in the campground about 20 feet from a 6 ft berm between the campground and the beach. After a week there my trailer was glistening in the sun. Salt in the air put a shiny coating all over the trailer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:33 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
We've always kinda envied those who drive their campers & stayed right on the beach but I won't do it. We always stay just off it. North Carolina Outer banks, always on the sound side, or like Myrtle Beach, in the state park which is a 2 min walk to the shore but protected by forest....reason? I worked 35 yrs for major coating company & one of our testing procedures for the coast was the "salt spray box". There's almost nothing that can stand up to it...it's just for how long and corrosive damage occurs so very fast...even at that, I clean & rinse after every trip.. ..
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:55 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Now I know why I have no interest in taking my AS near the beach!
robearl733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:09 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Albany , Oregon
We spent three months traveling the Gulf Coast and Florida one year. When we got home our previously pristine Airstream started to show signs of the dreaded filiform corrosion. From that point forward despite much effort cleaning and coating the beast continued to grow. Salt water, sand, and hot humid salt air does not play well with Aluminum or anything else really. We never camped directly on the beach, but close proximity was enough. As the old adage says, you pay to play.
Rodgerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Never again

Made that mistake in SC Myrtle Beach. What a mess of rust corrosion and labor to clean it up. Not worth it for me. If I want beach it’s going to be a beach rental and not going to be with a trailer that turns into a fizzing dissolving Alka Seltzer tablet after the first time water gets into the salt filled creases and the non coated frame parts.

I feel your pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Spent nine days at Carlsbad and San Elijos beach in our 2021 FC bunk. I was astonished at the amount of salt and sand in the air. We had 30+ mph wind five of the nine days. We were left with a trailer that looked powder coated in sand and salt. Thank goodness I had the trailer Walbernized last month. My bathroom fan failed, and now having issues with both fantastic fan sensors. I had to remove, clean and lube the window latches on the right side of the trailer. I spent $200 having the trailer cleaned, and now need to remove corrosion off some of the steel hardware on the exterior. We didn't experience this last year while in Malibu. It was windy, though the dry Santa Ana winds from the desert.

Beautiful views, though what a mess! Can't decide if I would do that again.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I too am on the Airstream no salt diet. I've seen what it does. Corrosion of copper pipes, aluminum parts, hitch parts, etc. etc. It's amazing how nasty the stuff is. I won't tow our baby on treated winter roads, and surely won't be oceanfront camping.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:11 PM   #18
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I spend 3 or 4 weeks a year oceanfront. I enjoy beachfront camping. I guess I am glad I can't afford a late model trailer...lol
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:32 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Phoenix , Arizona
Carlsbad SB camping

I am laughing reading this as we just got home from Carlsbad SB yesterday. I was thinking how much more work I do on the trailer before and after this kind of camping for a week or two. We have been camping here in a airstream twice a year for the the last 10 years. I agree when it is windy the outside of your truck and trailer feels like sandpaper in fairly short order. I am amazed at how fast corrosion will set in. I have found pretrip I start with a clean trailer with a fresh coat of wax. I have also applied boeshield t-9 to the area of the trailer with the most exposure. I know the aluminum won’t rust but it seems to help with the post trip clean-up . As soon as we get home it gets washed initially with a product called salts away. Than I go through my normal washing process. After which I will use corrosion x on any ares showing rust. We love beach camping though so the extra work is worth it for us. At least for now
Troller27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Phoenix , Arizona
Correction to my reply

The product I have tried is called salts gone not salts away. I started using this over the last three years and found it really helps getting the layer of salt and sand off. I just spray it on then rinse off before going through my normal wash
Troller27 is offline   Reply With Quote