Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2021, 08:56 PM   #1
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Water Pump Issue?

My last trip in my 2016 FC was last October. Toward the end of the trip, the water pump started getting noisy. It has always worked as intended with a minimum of noise. As I am preparing for a trip next week, I took it out of storage and de-winterized, flushing out the AF and sanitizing the the freshwater tank. Used the pump to empty the chlorinated water the next day and while somewhat noisy, worked ok with no apparent leaks. Filled the tank again with fresh water. Then as I was checking to see if the hot water heater was working on both gas and electric, the pump started making more noise and lots of piping vibration, both near the pump and down stream and across to lavatory.

Not seeing any leaks from the pump but the noise and vibration is getting crazy. Is my pump going bad? No previous experience with pump failures. This is my first RV but had a saltwater fishing boat for 20 years and never had a bilge pump or livewell pump fail. Guess I have been lucky! Any comments on the stock AS pump would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave
WBCCI #2584
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:12 PM   #2
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
I posted this a couple days ago and got no response. This is the first time I have post ed with no response and wondered why? I don’t post often but this is a first. Then while trying to even find my post I learned there are dozens of new posts each day and I am only seeing perhaps a dozen each day delivered to my email. Very popular forum and I wonder how the posts are selected each day?
WBCCI #2584
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Decatur , Michigan
There is a strainer at the inlet to your pump. They get full of gunk and pump tends to make noise and extra vibration. Have you checked it? Mine has a round cap on it.
Bob May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I don't know why no one responded to your first post. I skim the new posts and so I often miss new threads.

Another thing that causes noise is an air bubble in the lines. This can give you a surprising amount of racket. Try running the water full blast for a couple of minutes and see if you get air out.

In general, when you have water pump noise, it is good to track down the location by ear and look for places where the water lines might be vibrating against something. Then install a clamp, zip tie, or padding. I put pipe insulation on the lines that lead up to my shower handle and that made a big difference. Noise like this can change each time you camp because you never get the trailer perfectly level.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:28 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
It helps to quiet the put by purging the air from all of the lines. I turn on the pump and open all of the valves. Low point drains, outside shower, spray at sink, clean strainer at pump and any other valves you might have. Sometimes it takes time purge all the air.
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

The water pumps in our Airstreams will occasionally get noisy. We have found that most often we can correct this by just jiggling the pump. A couple of times we have had to torque the pump down to the floor. We have even used a wooden door stop to put under the pump. You can tell if this is the problem by reaching in and putting your hand on the pump while it is running. If the sound changes, vibration of the pump is the problem. We often just don't mess with it, and after the next run on the highway, it is corrected.

We carry a spare water pump just in case. We have had it for fifteen years and it is still new in the box. Even after 2,200 nights of Airstream camping, we have never had a fresh water pump go out on us.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The shelf that the pump is mounted on came loose on ours. A few screws tightened it up and cut down on the noise. Adding pipe insulation where pipes near the pump make contact with other pipes or surfaces also helps.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #8
RCC
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Rogersville , Missouri
Air in the lines will increase noise and vibration in waves that coincide with a drop in water flow at an open faucet. You do not mention if pump is still pumping normally with the new noise. If there are fluctuations and air is suspected you may have a vacuum leak on the intake side of the pump from a cross threaded connection that was opened in order to winterize.
RCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have learned not to let my fresh water tank get too empty. Once the pump starts sucking air, it will take half the next tank to purge all of the air out of the system and quiet down.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote