Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Garibaldi Highlands , British Columbia
Water leaks :( how is this happening...

Hi guys, I own a beautiful 30 foot 2010 Flying Cloud and I'm wondering if I'm the only one out there with inside wall water leak. It's been raining a lot these last few days and the water is coming in under where the window is in the bathroom, just under a join. And just found out today that I have a second leak just over the stove on the wall where there is another joint.

I tried to patch it with silicone but it just keep going further on the wall. I believe now that there is water in between my walls if it's coming in. It must be a hole from the outside on the roof or something...

Is it because the rivet are not tight enough? maybe?
Melimelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Unfortunately, water leaks can be coming from just about anywhere...from different sources. Once it gets through the outer skin, it travels along the path of least resistance. It will travel inside your wall, change direction according to the path of least....etc, etc., and come out on the inside where you might least expect it. It could be coming from a loose rivet(s), vent/fan opening, a/c opening, antenna opening...really, anywhere there might be a hole through the roof of your Airstream. Or it may be coming from a loose gasket around a window. That's why it is talked about so often on the Forum, regarding the importance of maintaining the seals in every seam...and checking the roof around every entry point to see if there are cracks in the caulking / sealant. And then after all of that, it will probably leak anyway...under some certain circumstance.

Silicone is an enemy to aluminum. It should never be used on bare aluminum...especially on the exterior. It will etch the aluminum..and it is almost impossible to remove fully...and it is very difficult to get a good seal with the right product once you have made the mistake of using silicone.

There are pressure tests that can be done at some Airstream dealers / repair shops... that can determine (sometimes) the source of your leak(s)...if visual inspection doesn't turn anything up.

You can search this Forum for all of this information...and I am sure others will come forward with more helpful information.

Good Luck!
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Certifiable

. , .
Unhappy Frustrating as heck, but they ALL leak

A good way to find out is to take it to a dealer with a Sealtech diagnostic system.
I have an appointment with one in CT next Saturday ....
There are lots in BC I see: Sealtech Manufacturing Inc. - RV leaks bubbles recreational vehicles
Good Luck!
Old 09-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Thank you, i"ll definitely take it to a dealer, even Airstream dealer where I bought it before the end of the month.

I didn't put much silicone, just a bit inside of course and it seem to work, the water drop as stop. i will find out if there is anything else out there i can use.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
I have just read that on the forum: (that's the silicone I'm using, premium so it doesn't have the acetic acid)

Because of a leak near the stove exhaust vent cover, I used GE's Premium Waterproof Silicone II.

Just finished a call to their hot line and was assured that their Silicone II contained NO acetic acid. They went on to say that their plain silicone brand DID contain acetic acid and was not suitable for aluminum.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melimelo View Post
Thank you, i"ll definitely take it to a dealer, even Airstream dealer where I bought it before the end of the month. I didn't put much silicone, just a bit inside of course and it seem to work, the water drop as stop. i will find out if there is anything else out there i can use.
After warranty, pressurize the interior. It will push air and water out of leaks. A bubble bath on outside will display your leaking places.

Also use vulkem for sealing or adseal
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
I believe what you have done is to have closed off the avenue for the water to least at that point, or seams, and to either accumulate there, puddle to a max, then travel to another opening or down through the wall to the floor or belly pan.

As Arktos said, water comes from anywhere, but sure enough it is coming from outside. You most definetly have a breach from the exterior. Check all exterior seams, even on the roof. Where most are found besides windows.

It sound like you bath leak is the window, the stove leak possibly the roof or nearby roof penetration.

As others mentioned, a pressure test will find them and likely more.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melimelo View Post
Hi guys, I own a beautiful 30 foot 2010 Flying Cloud and I'm wondering if I'm the only one out there with inside wall water leak. It's been raining a lot these last few days and the water is coming in under where the window is in the bathroom, just under a join. And just found out today that I have a second leak just over the stove on the wall where there is another joint.

I tried to patch it with silicone but it just keep going further on the wall. I believe now that there is water in between my walls if it's coming in. It must be a hole from the outside on the roof or something...

Is it because the rivet are not tight enough? maybe?
You need to take to a reputable dealer if still under warranty. Even if a little past warranty, they should fix. My guess is that the outside vent for kitchen exhaust is the culprit. If leaking it can run all the way to the bedroom. Airstream is aware of vent causing problem. Trying to patch on inside will only cause unsightly areas on your beautiful trailer.
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
, West Virginia
I have a problem as well, and i spent two weekends digging out old caulk and replacing with the vulkem. my leaks are showing up around the flooring always in the same place. could it be coming in in the lower trim pieces and if so, would it be ok to pull off the trim and is there a reason that could be leaking
theboyzmaid is offline   Reply With Quote