Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #21
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I know the electric element is a bit slower than the propane but 30+ minutes seems wrong. Mine gets hot on propane very quickly, maybe 15-20 min and electric is not much longer. A lot will depend on the temps of the incoming cold water though. So maybe it's just that I have not been in a hurry. We all know how long a watched pot takes to boil

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #22
Rob

2014 25' International
Littleton , Colorado
Thanks Gary,
Yes, patience is one of many things I'm learning with the AS
BTW, I had 350 watts of solar panels installed by the dealer plus a 3000 watt pure sine Xantrex inverter but for some reason can't seem to run a 1600 watt appliance when dry camping. First time this happened it was the fuse but now it is something else. Could be another operator error but am taking it back to my dealer next month when in Colorado.
All the best,
Rob
zenstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstream View Post
Thanks Gary,
Yes, patience is one of many things I'm learning with the AS
BTW, I had 350 watts of solar panels installed by the dealer plus a 3000 watt pure sine Xantrex inverter but for some reason can't seem to run a 1600 watt appliance when dry camping. First time this happened it was the fuse but now it is something else. Could be another operator error but am taking it back to my dealer next month when in Colorado.
All the best,
Rob
Rob, while your Xantrex Freedom has the capacity to run 3000 watts, the reserve in the batteries likely won't be sufficient, as the absolute maximum they can recharge from solar is 350 watts (in reality, it will be somewhat less, depending on the angle of the sun, etc). When you attempt to run the larger load (1600 watts), the draw on your batteries causes them to heat, and the thermal sensor from the Xantrex which is attached to the battery post will shut it down.

I had tried a similar thing this past January while camping in the Mohave Desert. The sun was strong and I decided to heat up a bowl of soup in the microwave instead of on the stove. I noticed that the current draw was 134 amperes (I have the Xantrex Freedom 3000 charger inverter with the remote control panel). My 4 AGM batteries really didn't survive that, as the heat from the heavy draw caused some water vapor to exit the relief valve, thereby reducing the batteries' capacity. That night I lost all power and the batteries dropped to 3.7 volts. 4 days later I was at Interstate of Las Vegas shelling out another $1,200 to replace the 4 AGM batteries.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
Rob

2014 25' International
Littleton , Colorado
Thanks blkmagikca!
Sounds very similar to the problem I'm experiencing. Thought my 350watts of panels, 4 6volt batteries, 3000watt PS inverter, and traveling in the western sunny states would be sufficient for dry camping with 1600watt appliances but based on your explanation - maybe not. Also sounds like I have an operator problem rather than an equipment problems. Thanks for your explanation; as you can tell, I'm still learning
Best,
Rob
zenstream is offline   Reply With Quote