Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Water heater not working

I went to turn on the gas water heater on our 2008 Intl tonight and nothing happened. When I turned on the switch in the bathroom the red light that usually comes on momentarily did not go on at all, and the heater did not turn on. Already checked fuse box, everything looks ok. We are hooked up to shore power and water. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
I went to turn on the gas water heater on our 2008 Intl tonight and nothing happened. When I turned on the switch in the bathroom the red light that usually comes on momentarily did not go on at all, and the heater did not turn on. Already checked fuse box, everything looks ok. We are hooked up to shore power and water. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
If I was in your situation, I would take a flashlight and look inside the water heater compartment outside the trailer. There are several push-on spade lug connectors out there, perhaps one of them vibrated loose.

Another silly question: Is the gas turned on and the bottle selected other than empty?

The best I can think of off hand.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Yup - did that, gas is full (no problems with the stove top turning on), checked connectors - nothing apparent at least to an untrained eye.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The red light is actually telling you the thing isn't lit... so if there is no red light it thinks it is OK. Check the easy stuff first... blow out the venturi and fire tube/box as sometimes spiders plug them up. There is a thermal fuse that is usually encased in a clear plastic tube and bent 90 degrees... if the venturi gets plugged, the compartment catches fire, the fuse burns, and the heater turns off. Not very pretty, but it works.

If it isn't those... you'll need to do some checking with a voltmeter and see if the controls are getting 12v... much past that, and you need to start pulling things out to test them...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
This may be a shot in the dark, but when the same thing happened to me I cleaned the board contacts with a eraser and set up a box fan outside by the access door for about 1 or 2 hours. No problem since then and it didn't cost a dime. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
You can always come and take a shower next door! We are going to McLain State Park today so you can come and clean as long as you like !

Hope you figure it out and thanks for the great fire and conversation last night.

Kelly
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I took a cold shower this morning - hope my girlish screams did not wake anyone in the lower 48. I'll keep working the suggestions, but nothing has worked so far.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Lucy's water heater has done the same thing on a couple of occasions. We have been able to get it working again by cleaning the contacts on the wire connectors on the water heaters panel accessible from the outside panel.

It is usually the contact on the far left of the four (see photo below), but I would go ahead an clean them all.

Brian

\
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4685.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	166704  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Been there, had that and fixed it. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...fix-94601.html
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Brad,

Ours didn't go on one day earlier this year. I moved the contacts to make sure they were tight and work off any corrosion and then it lit up fine. When we got home, I cleaned all the contacts.

The light in the bathroom had not gone on at all, so I assume whichever wire sends power to the bathroom light (and probably powers the igniter) was the guilty one. If that doesn't work, trace that wire and see if it has any breaks in it or is disconnected behind the bathroom switch.

It seems like you've tried at least some of this, but try it again.

I didn't hear your screams in the cold shower, so next time leave the windows open. Before I'd take a cold shower, I'd heat up some water on the stove and do a sponge bath. No screaming, fairly clean.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Thanks folks - I am going to give it all another whirl in the morning! Sounds like many folks have been here/done that.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I did end up getting the water heater repaired. Turned out to be the fuse at the water heater. It looked fine (you can see through it to see if it has blown) but none the less it was bad.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A blown fuse may indicate something else is wrong. I'd probably just replace it and hope for the best, but if it blows again, the best has not happened.

Gene
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
If by "fuse" you mean the thermal cut-off which is located on the water heater just a couple of inches above the burner, then the reason it blew was because there is some obstruction in the burner tube, such as a spider's nest. It has to be cleaned out. or the next thermal cut-off you use will blow.

The purpose behind the thermal cut-off is to prevent ignition outside of the burner tube that could lead to possible fire damage to your camper. When your camper is in storage, or not being used, spiders are attracted to places where there is propane, such as burner tubes in hot water heaters, refrigerators and furnaces. You need to clean their webs out, which can easily be done with compressed air.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
If by "fuse" you mean the thermal cut-off which is located on the water heater just a couple of inches above the burner, then the reason it blew was because there is some obstruction in the burner tube, such as a spider's nest. It has to be cleaned out. or the next thermal cut-off you use will blow.

The purpose behind the thermal cut-off is to prevent ignition outside of the burner tube that could lead to possible fire damage to your camper. When your camper is in storage, or not being used, spiders are attracted to places where there is propane, such as burner tubes in hot water heaters, refrigerators and furnaces. You need to clean their webs out, which can easily be done with compressed air.
I did clean out the burner tube, although it was subsequent to the fuse blowing. I didn't see anything escape, although it could have been the original problem; no way to know at this point.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
That is the only way for the thermal fuse to get fire on it... what happens is the burner tube gets a small obstruction, and the flame will back up and come out the air-mixture tube (that little piece you can slide to fine-tune the flame).

The only other alternative is if something is cracked in the propane supply... in which case you'll find out right away when it burns another fuse.

I was pretty PO'd at mine water heater, and previous owner, as mine did this - until I found the simple fix and maintenance required. Poor design overall really...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
There are screens available that go over the water heater and furnace exhausts. That keeps out most of the bugs.

Gene