Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2022, 08:01 AM   #1
Retired Engineer / IT Guy

2022 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Waste hose connection broke off

I have no idea how this happened on my 1 week old 33’ Classic, but my waste hose connection snapped off. I can not recall hitting anything. Skid plates are clean.

Any ideas on how to repair?

I to dump my tanks. Very clean break. Dented above the hose connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6014554C-757B-4FBC-BB1D-CBD70B3C5A73.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	418917   Click image for larger version

Name:	6C25C102-803C-470D-9BED-B3A0B422FA3B.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	418918  

KellyMeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Have never seen anything like that. Must have hit something pretty hard. The material is ABS plastic. Not familiar with the layout for the new trailers. My guess as to repair is to find a place where you can cut the 3" pipe and use a coupler to put a piece back on. And a new dump hose fitting. You can order the Valterra fitting (and the pipe) from Amazon if you do not find a local supplier. Most trailer supply places stock them. And...PVC pipe is the same size as the ABS if you cannot find the right stuff. You are probably lucky to have gotten the the clean break rather than some of the alternatives like ripping out more of the system or bending it up into the Airstream body.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Week old? Dealer repair unless you're on a trip.
I guess I'd try to find out what part is missing/broken and glue in a new one.

While the dealer is at it, why are two pop rivets dangling from the pull handle box? (pic 2)

For a week old, it's taken a blow somehow.
During delivery? Isn't the dealer supposed to check these things? That seems kinda obvious, no cap on the drain.
If you've used the drain before, then it has to be recent.

If I were to attempt a repair, I'd use a hole saw with two blades on the mandrel. One the size of the hole to keep the bit centered and a larger on the size of the correct pipe O.D.

Then something like this to get you home to the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pipe25.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	418919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 10.45.10 AM.png
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	418920  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:30 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
KellyMeer,

Bad luck for sure.

Have any friends that are plumbers? Consult with one cause they might have some tricks for un-gluing ABS (I think) pipe and keep it simple. If they can get the old stub out then its just a matter of replacing the connection etc.

I did un glue a PVC joint one time in a real bad spot and it was successful.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:03 AM   #5
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
If you cannot get it to a dealer, there is a tool specifically designed for plumbers to make repairs like this. It will cut out the piece of the pipe which is still left glued into the joint, and then you can glue in a new one.

Perhaps you already have a relationship with a plumber you've worked with in the past? If so, this would be a time to call in a favor and ask for help. They know how to remove the old pipe and make it possible to glue in the new one.

My guess is that you've taken a turn too sharply and caught the discharge tube on something as you turned. Luckily it broke off without doing too much damage.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Since I posted about cutting the pipe I will recant that. Yes to getting the broken stub out. Even if it takes a while whittling.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Wow, what has happened to quality craftsmanship. Putting a little spit of construction adhesive on the piece of rubber to 'hold' it in place, and as MollysDad pointed out the two rivets. So the person installing the rivets failed, so did the painter.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:59 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
An ABS pipe reamer is your solution here if you are going to repair yourself. Can be had on Amazon or from a plumbing supply house. The reamer will cut out the fitting .. just take it slow. Do not believe people telling you to use a claw hammer or other tool to pry the fitting out - that will create more problems and likely split the outer pipe.

Good luck!
IdahoTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:15 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
I have a 2022 23 FBQ, and the black tank connection to the dump hose connection came apart. The factory had not installed a worm clamp on the connection. I call my dealer (Airstream Adventures) for a appointment to repair, they where able to fit my trailer work in, and had it repaired in less than a week.
I would try and contact your dealer for the warranty repair.
airbus319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:30 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMeer View Post
I have no idea how this happened on my 1 week old 33’ Classic, but my waste hose connection snapped off. I can not recall hitting anything. Skid plates are clean.

Any ideas on how to repair?

I to dump my tanks. Very clean break. Dented above the hose connection.
This was probably damaged during trailer assembly and took a few extra stresses to break off. The dent above looks like they might have bashed the floor with the tank while installing. I would try to get a repair free from the AS company.
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:46 AM   #11
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
For a quick and easy fix to get you going buy a 3" female X bayonet adapter which should be the same outside diameter as the hub on the trailer and clamp it on with a no hub or a Fernco. You can also buy reducing Ferncos if both pieces are different sizes.
Then when you have more time the stub of ABS inside the hub can be cut and removed a piece at a time. Once started it comes out easier. I've used a short hacksaw blade (very time consuming) and screwdriver and dremel but I am wondering if a hot soldering iron would work to get a slot going, as long as you don't damage the hub. Once you have a slot or 3 it comes out easier. Be careful of the fumes, which I believe are hazardous.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bayonet.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	418925   Click image for larger version

Name:	3x4.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	418926  

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	418927  
Old 07-04-2022, 12:22 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Sacramento , California
I think someone at the factory dry fit the fitting and forgot to glue it. If you hit something it would not sheared off so cleanly.(Oops) Hopefully its not ruining your trip.
dmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:30 PM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Week old? Dealer repair unless you're on a trip.
I guess I'd try to find out what part is missing/broken and glue in a new one.

While the dealer is at it, why are two pop rivets dangling from the pull handle box? (pic 2)

For a week old, it's taken a blow somehow.
During delivery? Isn't the dealer supposed to check these things? That seems kinda obvious, no cap on the drain.
If you've used the drain before, then it has to be recent.

If I were to attempt a repair, I'd use a hole saw with two blades on the mandrel. One the size of the hole to keep the bit centered and a larger on the size of the correct pipe O.D.

Then something like this to get you home to the dealer.
Hi

I'd bet that part took a pretty heavy hit as well. The big question to me would be the condition of the rest of the system. Did the valve control arm get bent / damaged at the same time? Is the valve in ok shape or is it cracked here or there? Are other support rivets dangling about to come loose?

It took a lot of force to break that fitting off the end of the pipe.....

As with anything like this, when it happened / where it happened is pretty much unknowable. Unless nobody at all ever looked at the waste outlet (at the factory, at the dealer, during the walk through, at delivery ...) it probably happened when you were on the road.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:34 PM   #14
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Judging from the marks on the dump valve handle support bracket and the pulled rivets it would appear that you may have cut a corner a little too sharply. IdahoTrvlr is on the right track. Home Depot, Amazon, and other suppliers sell a drill driven tool called a socket saver that will ream out the broken pipe. The part that needs to be removed has been glued inside another fitting. If you can't go that route, you may be able to find a reducer that will fit inside the broken piece which you then could plumb a new drain connection to. If all else fails, you may have to remove some sheet metal to get to a piece of pipe to cut off before the broken piece.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:55 PM   #15
Retired Engineer / IT Guy

2022 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Hey everyone. Thanks for all the great input. I just got home from driving all day. I think it happened at the factory or delivery. Big dent above the pipe. I absolutely did not hit anything in 200 miles and 2 camp sites. Crazy. Will post pictures of the fix.
KellyMeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 02:10 PM   #16
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMeer View Post
Hey everyone. Thanks for all the great input. I just got home from driving all day. I think it happened at the factory or delivery. Big dent above the pipe. I absolutely did not hit anything in 200 miles and 2 camp sites. Crazy. Will post pictures of the fix.
This could also have been done by road debris striking it while on the highway. Not uncommon for a tire tread or other debris to be kicked up and strike the underside of a vehicle. You would never feel it inside the tow vehicle if this happened on the highway.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 02:42 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Glen Allen , Virginia
The correct tool to repair ABS

I had a similar problem but I know when the damage happened.
I had to replace both valves and they broke off similar to your
pictures. The repair is pretty straight forward once you have
the parts (valve, ABS glue, length of ABS and the proper tool
to ream out the remaining fitting.
I found that ABS is hard to find. Forget the big box stores, go to
a plumbing supply.
I have attached pictures of the reamer (its called a fitting savor).
Nothing else will work.
The tool is pretty cheap.... like $15. If you can not locate one, send me
your address and I'll send it to you. I don't think I'll need it again.

Its an easy repair project and an important leson
Good luck

Bill
Richmond Va
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4525.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	418932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4526.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	418933  

dabhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons4u View Post
Putting a little spit of construction adhesive on the piece of rubber to 'hold' it in place, and as MollysDad pointed out the two rivets.
The reason I suggested a blow (like a tire gator in the road) was because the adhesive looks pulled apart, as if at one time it was flush but now the rivets have been pulled out.
However, I've never seen black pop rivets so maybe they were sticking out while the unit was painted. But then there should be paint on the adhesive, and there's not.

It's a mystery, but it needs solving.
Yes a plumber might have better tools than two hole saws, but he may want to remove the pan and do it right. But I think Airstream needs to step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabhunter View Post
I have attached pictures of the reamer (its called a fitting savor).
Nothing else will work.
The tool is pretty cheap.... like $15.
Ah! I love tools. It appears the tool uses the smaller disc to center the bit and the larger disc to cut the old broken insert.

Same concept as my two hole cutters on a mandrel, but more purpose built.
I like it! Being made for plumbers, it must come in normal PVC sizes.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:19 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Glen Allen , Virginia
ABS repair tool

The tool to ream out the broken ABS pipe....

I looked at my repair tool and it is stamped "Raptor"
3 inch. You may be able to find in on Amazon.

Its really simple to use and leaves a clean glueable surface
It does a great job.

Bill
dabhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
While I was Googling Pipe Savers, I came across another idea, The MagicMend Pipe extender. One end goes into the broken part and the other end gives you a clean new surface to attach a new Thetford termination. (Except not ABS)

Or maybe the simplest, a rubber coupling to go over the stub and hold the Thetford drain fitting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pipe26.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	418940   Click image for larger version

Name:	coupler.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	418942  

Name:	fitting.jpg