Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2022, 09:06 AM   #1

Orlando , Florida
Warranty Issues

Greetings
Need some guidance here from the members.. I have a 2021 Atlas and noticed the bed latch is malfunctioning... Does not lock in making the lever on the side that disengages the bed become inoperable.

Took the coach to the local Airstream dealer and they called Airstream who, simply denied the repair saying is is wear and tear? Really? How do they know that and why is such mediocre quality of either workmanship or parts used on a 250k coach? There were a few other issues and the "Blanket" answer from Airtsream is "Not Covered as it is Third Party".. I am shocked at such responses..... yet they want to collaborate with a top class motor company like Mercedes...

I am not sure where to go from here.. Certainly think this is a manufacturing (workmanship or sub standard part design) issue and should be covered..

Any folks here have any suggestion how to approach this issue to get this resolved?

Thank you in advance....

PS - Apologies if this is posted in the wrong thread, but please do direct me where it should go an I will re-post there
human108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Try calling airstream direct. I have heard that response from dealers but when you talk to airstream directly they provide you greater understanding. Usually everything is covered bumper to bumper the first two years, at least in our experience. If AS doesn’t warranty the third party item, you may still have warranty with the third party

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
They must have adopted a new "strategy" when it comes to warranty repairs:

- my wheels / brakes have been an issue since I bought the 2021 Globetrotter. A dealership finally replaced the entire set including brakes, drums, everything and Airstream just told the dealership they need to file the claim with Dexter. In the mean time I spent the money.

- my electric-only Norcold Fridge stopped working three weeks ago. I called Airstream and said it is urgent, I need someone to come to me to inspect it. The result was that the fridge's compressor was no longer functional. When they pulled out the fridge we also realized Airstream put in a refurbished / used fridge, destined to break down again (more in my post today). Airstream's only reply was that the repair guy needs to file a warranty form with Norcold. Airstream did not have this model in stock and had no idea when they would again, so I paid for a Dometic model to be put in (6h of work) and $1500 for the fridge. I called and emailed Airstream about 50 times, yesterday they replied saying "proper warranty procedure wasn't followed and they are not responsible".

CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Airstream did not have this model in stock and had no idea when they would again, so I paid for a Dometic model to be put in (6h of work) and $1500 for the fridge. I called and emailed Airstream about 50 times, yesterday they replied saying "proper warranty procedure wasn't followed and they are not responsible".

I assume the 6 h of labor was also the diagnosis? I’ve taken my fridge out before and it only look me about 30 minutes because of the propane connection. Fridge went in faster than it came out

Unfortunately, any time you take it upon yourself to fix something without airstream exclusively saying it’s covered then you run the risk of them telling you later that its not covered under warranty.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:44 PM   #5
Freedom

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
Where is the Airstream rep on this forum that cut-n-paste the same old thing over and over?
2022 Ram 3500 Dually
WBCCI: 26506
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:20 AM   #6
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
They must have adopted a new "strategy" when it comes to warranty repairs:

- my wheels / brakes have been an issue since I bought the 2021 Globetrotter. A dealership finally replaced the entire set including brakes, drums, everything and Airstream just told the dealership they need to file the claim with Dexter. In the mean time I spent the money.

- my electric-only Norcold Fridge stopped working three weeks ago. I called Airstream and said it is urgent, I need someone to come to me to inspect it. The result was that the fridge's compressor was no longer functional. When they pulled out the fridge we also realized Airstream put in a refurbished / used fridge, destined to break down again (more in my post today). Airstream's only reply was that the repair guy needs to file a warranty form with Norcold. Airstream did not have this model in stock and had no idea when they would again, so I paid for a Dometic model to be put in (6h of work) and $1500 for the fridge. I called and emailed Airstream about 50 times, yesterday they replied saying "proper warranty procedure wasn't followed and they are not responsible".

What troubleshooting did the tech do for the fridge?

When my first 12vdc fridge stopped working a few years ago the whole problem was solved by installing a new control box. A couple hundred dollars and I did it myself in less than an hour. Did the troubleshooting with the factory tech support rep over the phone. Different brand but they all operate the same.

If the dealer replaced the brakes, then why does it matter what their process is for getting reimbursed for the repair? They stood tall and got them fixed. Their reimbursement is between them and Airstream.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:19 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Hmmm. I was just at the mother ship on Thursday for some warranty work (step bolt fell out, solar panel roof clip came unglued, defective latch on the bathroom vanity, main door deadbolt failed) They replaced the defective latch at no charge. I have a 2021 25' FBT FC. I would call Airstream directly.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
They inspected the fridge according to the Norcold manual, the final step was to check the compressor which was faulty and Norcold’s recommendation was to replace the fridge.

The 6h (incl inspection) of labor come from getting the replacement fridge into the same spot, the Dometic model is slightly bigger so you can imagine.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:57 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Brooklyn , New York
Airstream’s attitude towards their warranty is really questionable.

I bought a very lightly used 2019, and brought it to Colonial for about 10 minor issues. The general attitude is nothing is covered unless you can prove to them it should be covered. This ranges from refusing coverage due to being a second owner, not warranting the failed installation of third party components, claims of “wear and tear” — the list of reasons to deny coverage is unending.

It’s really frustrating and definitely doesn’t give the impression that Airstream stands by what is a very expensive product.
mixolydian12 is offline   Reply With Quote