Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2018, 03:49 AM   #21
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Brooks- please call the service center in Jackson Center, OH. Ask to speak to Artie directly, leave a voicemail. Here is his email apresser@airstream.com. I have never NOT heard back from him within 48 hours. Have your list of things that need replaced or repaired ready, write everything down and keep records. Explain that you are not able to get your AS to JC yourself, bypass any dealer. They will fix everything. Very unfortunate but in reality they probably won’t get it back to you for a couple of months but when you do get it back it will work flawlessly. The guys in the service center are the best of the best, they can and do work miracles. It’s too bad the every AS doesn’t go through them first.
I know your way beyond angry, frustrated and tired. Try to hang on just a little longer and let these guys do their thing.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:11 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Brooks- please call the service center in Jackson Center, OH. Ask to speak to Artie directly, leave a voicemail. Here is his email apresser@airstream.com. I have never NOT heard back from him within 48 hours. Have your list of things that need replaced or repaired ready, write everything down and keep records. Explain that you are not able to get your AS to JC yourself, bypass any dealer. They will fix everything. Very unfortunate but in reality they probably won’t get it back to you for a couple of months but when you do get it back it will work flawlessly. The guys in the service center are the best of the best, they can and do work miracles. It’s too bad the every AS doesn’t go through them first.
I know your way beyond angry, frustrated and tired. Try to hang on just a little longer and let these guys do their thing.
I have to 2nd this. While on the road in Big Bend, TX, I developed a grinding noise in one wheel. 2017 27FB. Dealer outside of Austin, TX pretty much blew me off when the word "warranty" was mentioned.

I called the Mother Ship to complain. They said get it here and we will take care of it. I did, they did. I dealt with Artie. Very happy with Jackson Center.

The dealers on the other hand................

Larry
devilsbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:35 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Our warranty had two options....drive to the mothership or have them send the parts, I guess they dropped the shipping option. 😟.

A post from 2004..

A LITTLE HISTORY….. MY WIFE SANDRA AND I HAVE BEEN STREAMING SINCE 1989. OUR FIRST WAS A 1963 22 FT. SAFARI. (kind of wish now it was still sitting on the pad) WE PURCHASED OUR 2003 25' CLASSIC IN JUNE OF 2004. BUILD DATE FEB. O3. NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF.....

ITEMS NOTED BEFORE TAKING DELIVERY THAT WERE FIXED BY THE DEALER.

1) BOTH FRONT SEGMENT PROTECTORS SCRATCHED AND DENTED.

2) REAR BUMPER COVERS CRACKED.

3) ACCESS DOOR UNDER BATHROOM SINK WOULD NOT OPEN, REPAIRED BUT SIEZED SOLID AGAIN BY THE TIME WE GOT HOME FROM THE DEALER.

4) PANTRY SLIDE-OUT OFF BOTH TRACKS, REPAIRED BUT FAILED AGAIN WHEN LOADED ON OUR FIRST TRIP. Took pantry out, removed slide tracks, removed all ball bearings and divided equally between tracks, AS sent replacement tracks, holding as spares until needed.

NOW FOR THE Q/C AND PDI STUFF... IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT ALL CONCERNS LISTED WERE REPAIRED BY MYSELF. THE SELLING DEALER HAD CLOSED.

1) THREE OF THE CLEARANCE LIGHT BULBS.

2) TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENT LIGHT BULBS.

3) TWO SCREEN DOOR PROTECTOR SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK.

4) BAD VIBRATION IN LEFT FRONT SPEAKER, AGAIN MOUNTING SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK. SCREWS REPLACED WITH VELCRO TAPE. CLOSE OUT PANEL NOW EASILY REMOVED.

5) WATER PUMP FAILURE CAUSED BY A SEPARATED WIRE INSIDE THE INSULATION WHERE WIRING ENTERS THE PUMP HOUSING….. FAILURE OCCURRED ON OUR FRIST CAMPING TRIP.

6) A MULTITUDE OF PINHOLES IN ACCORDION SHADE OVER SINK.

7) WATER LEAK AT SHOWER MANIFOLD CAUSED BY COLD WATER LINE BEING TOO SHORT.

8) THREE PLASTIC LATCHES FOR CLOSET DOORS AND TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENTS INSTALLED POORLY, MISALIGNMENT, CAUSING LATCH FAILURE.

9) STOVE IGNITER KNOB CRACKED/FAILURE.

10) BATHROOM MIRROR LATCH.

11) … HOLD DOWN SCREWS FOR CONVERTER MISSED THEIR MARK.
SLOPPY/NOISEY WATER PUMP INSTALL & WIRING. INSTALL RUBBER ISOLATION MOUNTS, RE-ROUTE AND SECURE WIRING HARNESS.

12) WATER HEATER<> THERMOSTAT NOT CALIBRATED<>SCALDING TEMP.

13) FRIDGE INTERIOR LIGHT INOP, SWITCH ARM CRACKED

14) KITCHEN SINK SPRAY HANDLE CRACKED,LEAKING WHEN USED.

15) CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS FOUND THRU-OUT TRAILER. BIC LIGHTER & CANDY WRAPPER UNDER RUG IN STREETSIDE REAR COMPARTMENT.

16) AC SHROUD, SKYLIGHT, FF VENT ALL CRACKED AT SCREW MOUNT HOLES FROM IMPROPER INSTALL.

17) BLACK TANK VENT LEAKING, POOR INSTALL/CAULKING. MISSING SCREWS.

18) WATER LINE FITTING UNDER BATHROOM SINK CROSS-THREADED, CRACKED, LEAKING.

19) FILIFORM CORROSION

20) CLEARCOAT PEALING FROM ENTRY DOOR HINGES AND BATTERY DOOR SURROUNDS.

AIRSTREAM DID SEND US THE NECESSARY ITEMS TO MAKE THE REPAIRS ON SOME ITEMS:
WATER PUMP, SHADE, LATCHES FOR CLOSET AND STORAGE DOORS. NEW
DOOR FOR BATHROOM ACCESS, SLIDE FOR PANTRY.
OTHER NECESSARY ITEMS PURCHASED FROM CAMPING WORLD.
I NEVER RECEIVED A CSI REPORT FROM THE FACTORY, OR ANY FOLLOW-UP AT ALL.
THE FACTORY QC WAS LACKING, BUT THE DEALER MUST ASSUME SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR A VERY POOR PDI. WELL I GUESS THAT JUST ABOUT COVERS IT, EXCEPT TO SAY I WAS MORE THAN A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED IN THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE!

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Currently Looking...
Brevard , North Carolina
Airstream service-lol

Owning any Airstream product is a perfect marriage between a sadist (Airstream) and a masochist (owner). Some see ownership as a never ending hobby/challenge to keep the unit functional-this is probably the healthiest approach, and perfect for the retired hobbiest wanting to chew up huge blocks of time, money, and energy. I should know-all of the above applies to me who has purchased 3 Airstreams over 15 years and still has hope that at least one trip will not reveal a new problem .
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I appreciate your advice. I called AS this morning. They were were not concerned with the product, nor the fact that there could of been a catastrophic injury. They offered only to email me a list of dealers. My wife wants to take it to JC, drop it off, eat the 150K, and never look back. Still hopeless.
Brooksjaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Currently Looking...
Brevard , North Carolina
I feel your pain. In spite of what some may post here, if doing your own repairs is not your thing,and if getting to a dealer is too difficult, you really have only 2 options for sanity-sell the unit and take the loss as a life lesson and move on, or find a local rv dealer that you trust ( good luck with that) and give them your visa platinum card and tell them to fix everything because the warranty is crap.
Keep in mind that what you are experiencing is industry standard in the RV world.
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #27
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Brooksjaso,

We are very sorry for the issues that you are having with your 2018 Classic. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank You.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #28
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi TheHoff,

We are very sorry for the issues that you are having with your 2016 Interstate. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

We look forward to helping you get this resolved. Thank You.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Nashville , Tennessee
We've had our brand new 2017 FC20 at Chilhowee for going on THREE MONTHS for warranty work. We dropped her off on June 30th and told all would be about a 4 week turn around. (When our lake wknd was cut short by the AC unit which stopped working.)

I was told on July 17 work was approved and today, Aug 20th NO ONE has contacted us to tell us ANYTHING about the process and timeline. I've initiated all calls to Chilhowee and just keep being given further dates. Imagine my disappointment to find that they have not even received the part (flooring) from Airstream. This from an intermittent leak from the hot water heater, (under warranty) I was told a month ago it was on its way. Our summer vacation for Aug (bid a year in advance) has now been ruined and we just keep being put off. Chilhowee is "Very busy." Airstream piped right in on a original post to this forum with a form reply including with an invite to contact them directly...

Well, I did contact Airstream with a letter on Aug 06, and guess what? NO RESPONSE!

We also want to upgrade already but, geeeeesh.... We are so sad our dream is diminished

We feel utterly forgotten and un-cared for. No consideration for the HUGE amount of money a brand new unit cost and then has so may problems less than two years in that no one seems to have a sense of urgency in our satisfaction nor the regard for the travel time involved to get an authorized repair in a fair amount of time. Lack of communication beats out all, Nothing worse than having to do the investigating on why its taking so long, to be then pulled in to a dealer vs airstream problem, to be actually told that it may help if we contact airstream to hurry the part delivery. "Put a fire under em."

What do we do now?! Looks like we'll get her back just in time to winterize and grief that two years in we had to have warranty work on AC/Water Heater/flooring and didn't get to have our yearly vacation in our dream airstream.

Has anyone had any positive amends from Airstream and/or dealer for warranty work?
Are our expectations too high for Airstream?
Is THREE MONTHS too soon for us to be impatient and resentful?
Are we crazy to consider an upgrade or should we take this as a sign?

Thanks for your responses.
KiTTinBNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #30
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
KittinBNA, I see you’ve been a member of the forum for quite a while but only 6 posts (I didn’t look to see what those posts were). What you are experiencing with your dealer is not surprising, it’s actually pretty typical. I think that’s why so many of us learn to do our own repairs if at all possible. I don’t think your being treated any better or worse than any of the other AS dealers anywhere in the country. Getting an appointment at the factory takes about 4 months.
As far as upgrading to a longer model, you’ll still have the same issues. I have a 2017 Classic and have learned that with every trip something will break, fall off, not work, etc..not if but when and what. The more I read and learn from the great folks in this forum the more I am learning what tools I need to have, what parts I need to keep on hand, what skills I need to develop.
Yes, it is frustrating but it’s just the nature of the beast, other brands, models, classes aren’t any better or worse. Hang in there, eventually it will get repaired but probably not quickly.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
KiTTinBNA,
Sorry to hear about your dealer frustrations. Some are better than others and it sounds like yours is not on the better list. We have a 2017 28' International Serenity and have not been to a dealer since purchased. Two reasons - we really haven't had anything that required a visit - I spend time before and after every trip (and sometimes on a trip) looking at things and tightening and tweaking where needed. I do the same for my hitch and my TV. I also have kept a list of things I wanted done when I got around to my 2 year warranty point and just recently returned from a visit to JC for that visit. I had 24 items on my list (several were elective such as a new Fiamma Bike rack, Micro Air Easy Starts on my A/C units), winterizing kit on my water pump and several other things. The most serious warranty issues were adjust the entry door (hard to close) and adjust the bathroom door for excessive gap. All items on my list were expertly taken care of and they also did some things I hadn't asked for but thought it would be prudent to take care of them. I was totally impressed with the care and attention we received from the factory techs and the staff. Going through the factory itself was well worth the trip. It's a long trip for many (1300 miles round trip for us) but we made it an adventure and got to see part of the country we hadn't. My point to you is that if there are things you can take care of yourself, I encourage that, and if there are things you can't but can live with them until a factory service center visit I recommend doing that. They are the pros and no one should leave there without total satisfaction. It might take a while to get a service appointment, but if you can plan ahead it's doable. One other thing is you stay in your trailer at the Terra Port. They pick it up in the morning and bring it back in the afternoon for you to sleep in it. If it needs more than one day to complete the work they pick it up the next morning. Totally efficient.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote