Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
1996 28' Excella
Winchester , Tennessee
Utility compartment

The utility compartment (water intake area) on my 2003 classic is rusted out . is this a part that can be purchased ? It looks as though it is screwed on . I am sure this must be a common problem . Help !!
tinman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman9 View Post
The utility compartment (water intake area) on my 2003 classic is rusted out . is this a part that can be purchased ? It looks as though it is screwed on . I am sure this must be a common problem . Help !!
tinman9

Can you post a picture?
Dan
Old 08-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plaquemine , Louisiana
Tinman9,
I just purchased a 2004 28 Classic and not to happy about the rusted out utility compartment. Yes it does come out by removing the screws and disconnecting the plumbing thumb nuts from the back of the plate that the water connection is mounted. Before I go to the local sheet metal shop to see if one could be fabricated of aluminum, have you found a replacement for yours?
Thanks,
Mitch
cmkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
1996 28' Excella
Winchester , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkirkland
Tinman9,
I just purchased a 2004 28 Classic and not to happy about the rusted out utility compartment. Yes it does come out by removing the screws and disconnecting the plumbing thumb nuts from the back of the plate that the water connection is mounted. Before I go to the local sheet metal shop to see if one could be fabricated of aluminum, have you found a replacement for yours?
Thanks,
Mitch
Yes I ordered it from Airstream. Got it in about 3-4 days. It went in great. Very happy.
tinman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just noticed the AS store has all three compartments available in stainless for $150 EACH!!!!!!!! If I just hadn't removed mine, stripped and refinished, I'd be tempted....but $450?????? Not so much.

I got to mine before they were too rusted. Stripped, primed and painted OEM white on the inside. The parts that are lower than the curved wrap, I coated with truck bed liner spray and hit the seams with Parr-Bond. Looks pretty sweet.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote