Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Using parts from other brand of travel trailers?

I have a new project and I'm considering buying a salvage travel trailer at an auction, and using some of the parts for my Airstream restoration.

Things like the light switches, water pump, toilet, fridge, stove, vent hood, maybe even axles....this stuff adds up. I'm not considering the furniture and cabinetry but the miscellaneous stuff that is just about the same in trailers.

My thinking is, I can possibly get a newer, different brand of trailer with a lot of modern parts like those above and end up saving some $$$ this time around. Then, once I have hacked this sucker up, just take it the metal yard or give it away if i can....

Any one ever done this??? (Maybe move this to a different sub, who knows where it goes?)
bambibooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It will probably cost more to pay to dispose of the scrap trailer than you save in parts.
Also, who knows how much those used parts were used or abused before the trailer got totaled? And how much damage was done to the parts when it was totaled?
Old 12-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hey, Airstream only assembles parts... most parts go to the SOBs some show up in Airstreams. If the SOB is new, there my be some useable parts.. but only a couple worth salvaging.. IMHO
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
Check out insurance auctions (copart.com as an example) for salvage trailers. Perhaps you can buy a late model trailer that can be used as a 'parts donor'.

I found a wrecked 2008 Airstream last year (not directly, but from someone who bought it at auction) that gave me a nice fiberglass shower unit, and stainless sink to put in my 89 Excella. Had to do some slight mods due to roof curvature differences, but ended up very nice! Also harvested light fixtures, and other small parts.
mbutterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Axles from most box trailers are not compatible with Airstreams. I agree that you will probably pay more for disposal in the end than its worth.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
I think you are making a wise decision
Most of the manufacturers supply AIRSTREAM and other brands !!
As for the gutted trailer advertise it as a free garden shed or ice fishing shack or hunting shelter
Good luck
Old 12-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaValleyGuy View Post
I think you are making a wise decision
Most of the manufacturers supply AIRSTREAM and other brands !!
As for the gutted trailer advertise it as a free garden shed or ice fishing shack or hunting shelter
Good luck
Good idea If it is still water tight.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I like the idea. 'Parts is parts'
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Document with part numbers and pictures. Upgrade when your budget allows. Make replacement handy so your future endeavors are minimal. Parts are parts, but better parts are best.

Not all SOB trailers have substandard parts. Brother's came with Fantastic Fan vent cover, while the AS did not. But his double sink is plastic while the AS is SST. If it will fit, a larger refrigerator, heater, or AC unit maybe a real windfall. Look before you leap. Modify only to upgrade. And note that selling parts nets value to buy others. Good luck and work safe. Don't drop it on you. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
While writong this respomse I changed my mind. Here is the revised idea. Instead of buying a basket case wreck, find a RV salvage yard, and pluck what you need as you need it.

IMHO the biggest fly in the ointment about buyimg a wreck is the timeline. A full monte will almost always run longer than a year, especially if the person doing the work cannot work fulltime on it. A brand new stove will probably have a piso electric ignition.. Will a salvage stovetop? What about the newer refrigerator, or an air conditioner built with soft start... that will allow you to use a smaller generator?

Dealimg with junkyards yoy have to bargain, and negotiate, and whine, and rend your garments on occasion. Walking away once or twice isn't unheard of, but always leave a phone number.

Do NOT ask a repair shop or mobile service to sell you used appliances. The competent ones dont clutter their shops, and the others hoard all kinds of stuff.

I would choose to use an induction burner while hunting for a stovetop, etc. You MIGHT find a hail damaged unit.... that would be better than a rollover. It is luck, timing, and a really well thought out list of what you want to salvage.

Paula
Old 12-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Thanks for the replies!

OP here, thanks for the replies everyone. If I do go the salvage RV route, my idea is to get something fairly new that hasn't been too wrecked. I also don't plan to spend more than 2-3k on an auction. And, for that price, the fridge, AC, water heater, and all the essential items I'm looking for would have to be square.

This idea came up, because I live in Texas and right now we have a LOT of travel trailers on the auction block due to flooding this past year. Feel free to peek through them for your entertainment.

https://sca.auction/en/search/type-r...tate-TX/page-1

Just how bad is a flood on something like a aluminum water heater, or an RV toilet....

I'm not sure exactly how great of an idea it is to purchase a flood trailer, but people seem to be bidding on them.

I'd have to check one of these places out in person before I bought anything.
bambibooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I bought my water heater, heater, and fridge from wrecked SOB's that were listed on craigslist. Not all came from the same trailer. The water heater and heater had never been used. The fridge had been used. I did have to remove them though. Water heater was 35.00, heater was 75.00, and fridge was 200.00. I bench checked each unit and all worked normally.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote