Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Full-Timers , '71 Streamline Countess & A Standard Poodle
Use of Vulkem for sealing windows...

I was checking out Vintagetrailersupply.com and they recommend a Vulkem product called TremPro 635 for repairs. They also sell a caulking syringe with this product. So, question...do I need to totally remove the original caulk from the window and replace it with TremPro or can I simply inject the sealant into the gaps and holes in the existing caulk?

This window has leaked since before I purchased the trailer but as I had it in a very dry climate I didn't worry much about the repair. However, the Birch plywood beneath the window is soft, splintered and stained, (carefully hidden by previous owner). Do I need to tear this out and explore further damage beneath?

The Countess
TheCountess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Countess,

I would remove as much of the old sealant as possible to insure a better bond with the surrounding surfaces. I prefer Acryl-R to the syringe/Vulkem method. It has it's own fine head grease gun style applicator and it is exactly what the factory uses on the new units.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
I prefer Acryl-R to the syringe/Vulkem method. It has it's own fine head grease gun style applicator and it is exactly what the factory uses on the new units.
Lew,
How do you use the Acryl-R? I got some and the applicator as a present last Christmas, but have been hesitent to use it because of the need to pour it from the can into the applicator to use and reverse the process when I am done. Am I correct in assuming that after I caulk the crack in question (usually just one or two at any given time), I need to transfer the Acryl-R back into the air tight can and somehow clean the applicator? And how do I clean the applicator? Or can I leave it indefinitely in the applicator wthout fear of it drying up and clogging the head? I suspect the former, which keeps me from using it until I have a whole trailer to caulk at one time (i.e. never).
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Vulcum too?

Saw this thread about the Acryl-R and the applicator.

I have the same question but related to Vulcum.

I used the Vulcum for a Clearance Light mounting situation. I found the 'factory' tube with the caulking gun, to be too unwieldy for proper application of a good bead, so I used a medical syringe I had laying about.

The syringe allowed me to apply a consistant bead of about 1/16th inch all around the lights. This was very satisfactory. It also looked excellent, and actually better than the factory beads I have found on the trailer elsewhere.

Although, after the application the syringe with the remaining vulcum inside it (less than 5cc's) did become useless as the material dried out very quickly.

Is this also the case with the Acryl-R?? Can a consistant bead be applied with the aformentioned applicator?? Is it re-useable?

All responses appreciated.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Is this also the case with the Acryl-R?? Can a consistant bead be applied with the aformentioned applicator?? Is it re-useable? Axel
I've been using Acryl-R for the past 3 years on various jobs on our Airstream. You can produce beautiful thin beads. The level of skill required is about the same as using a frame gun to caulk round a wash basin or shower tub or kitchen work surface. If you can produce smooth and consistent beads with a frame gun, you will do the same with an Acryl-R applicator. If, on the other hand, you are a stranger to a frame gun, and you tend to finish caulking jobs with your fingers and the result is messy, it is probable that you will have the same problem with the Acryl-R. I find that applying caulk with a frame gun requires the highest levels of concentration to achieve a great finish. I focus my entire attention on the shape of the bulging caulk emerging from the nozzle, and I always push the gun, rather than pulling it away from the bead.(About the same level of concentration as trying to clip a crucial runner on a long rock pitch!) The final result can be very satisfying. Zen and the art of caulking!
When I've finished using the applicator, I keep the can attached, wrap a piece of cling-film (Saran Wrap?) round the nozzle, and store it like that. I don't find that it hardens in the can or in the tube. I find it to be an excellent tool, and I ordered mine from the shop at www.Airstream.com.
Nick.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

You all have enlightened me! I've never caulked a thing in my life. Rather than practice on my trailer, I'll practice on my neighbors

The Countess
Old 05-22-2006, 06:11 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Tool for removing old caulk?

Oh...one more quick question. What kind of a tool do you use to remove the old caulk without scractchin the heck out of the aluminum? A plastic crochet hook comes to mind

The Countess
Old 05-22-2006, 06:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
You're close. A plastic spackling knife or acrylic razor blades that they sell at VTS. Just be careful and go slow.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thumbs up

Nick,

You took the words right out of my mouth! Thanks for your accurate and concise description of the caulking process. You take a simple process and elevate it to an art form! Zen indeed!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote