Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybair View Post
Gary, the other, AKA No Noize,
Can you try rocking your trailer through the full range of tongue heights?
That would be a useful data point.
Thanks, Gary
My trailer is in my driveway and level, I started rocking the trailer while my wife raised the tongue jack all the way to the top, I kept rocking until she lowered the tongue jack all the way to the bottom.

No squeak

I can get it rocking pretty good by pushing up and down on the entry door hinges that are just behind the rear axle.
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Aloha , Oregon
That is encouraging, thanks for trying that. I guess youll need a trip and some time to vet it out. We all hope it stays quiet.

We have had trips/times where we cant get it to squeak, like when we took it to airstream to check out the problem. Not sure what tickles it.

Well, anyone with experience or further to share, please chime in now or in future. I know of about 10 that have indicated their trailer suffers from this.
garybair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:23 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

Lewisville , Texas
If the squeak comes back I will try to rule out the suspension noise guess. I will have the wife jump and down to make it squeak while I spray everything I can think of.

If it goes away as I am spraying the lube we will know for sure. If it goes away later? Could be the spray penetrated something?

I will keep trying and sharing the results. Time for a Margarita!
Old 08-31-2020, 08:24 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Squeak/Creak

I’m following these updates and appreciate the additional info. Our trailer is currently in the dealer but, of course it isn’t squeaking so they don’t have anything to zero in on. I’ve sent them these posts to assist but it’s still tough to know where to treat or if they fixed it. I think I will just need to take it on the road to do some more detailed observing such as those you guys are doing. I have been trying to get Airstream warranty to advise if Airstream has any information on what this is and how to fix it but, they are not responding other than to say to have the dealer try to diagnose the problem.
Neen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:39 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Similar squeak for us ... while parked. The dealer could not duplicate the squeaks; it comes and goes but seems to be emanating from where the sidewall meets the floor depending upon the floor loading / stabilizers deployed ... shot some silicone spray into there and mostly quiet now.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Lewisville , Texas
So far so good

We just returned from a ten day 300 hundred mile trip with two destinations. The trailer was parked on a slope with the tongue jack lowered almost all the way at one place and level at the other. I had the stabilizers down sometimes and up sometimes.

No squeak so far, if it does come back the first thing I will do is pull the trailer emergency brake-away switch pin for a few seconds to apply the brakes and see if it still squeaks like Gary suggested. If the squeak goes away, I would have to think it is definitely related to the brakes.

We have another 500 mile trip departing in two weeks, I will report back in about a month with the results.

Good luck everyone!
Old 09-24-2020, 11:13 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Aloha , Oregon
Thanks for the update No Noize. We also went on a trip, about the same miles, but our squeak was still there upon returning. I am still hoping this is related to brakes.

To be clear, I did not suggest pulling
The emergency brake wire. What we did was back our tow vehicle up to the trailer and we plugged the electrical connector up, and then used the lever on the electric brake controller to activate trailer brakes.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:39 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , NC
I have this same squeak, in our ‘17 25 RBQ. I do think it’s coming from the brakes or undercarriage. Here is what solves it 99% of the time for me - a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The key for me is to put them on before I disconnect from the tow vehicle. The trailer always slides forward or backward a fraction of an inch when I unhitch and that locks the wheels enough to stop the squeaking. Also, these work better than the yellow plastic wedges and they are a breeze to set down and remove.

I also found this worked in conjuntion with the plastic yellow chocks:
https://www.amazon.com/Unknown-Camco...motive&sr=1-24,

But the Fastway chocks are quick, easy and hold the trailer securely. Others here have suggested other types of chocks that lock the two wheels, I am sure those will work too. The key is to eliminate the wheels rocking back and forth when you walk. The trick for me, at least, is to put the Fastway chocks on before I disconnect, so that the natural motion of the trailer when I disconnect, leaves the tires with enough pressure against the chocks to prevent the squeak.

The upside of that squeak is that when others walk past your camper, they will say, wow, that couple is fantastic, all they do in that camper day and night is make love.

Now if someone can tell me how to eliminate the squeaking in the floorboards that we have developed, I would be all set squeak wise!
JoeHTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Aloha , Oregon
I havent tried the Fastway product, but I do have X-chocks and while they help reduce rock, and the noise, they dont totally eliminate it.

I will try your idea of putting those on before unhooking next time. Thanks for the idea.

We did pay around $1k for an attemot by our dealer to fix the floor squeak in front of the bed, and it squeaks as much as it did before. At least we can step over the spot. But the other suspension/brakes squeak is sensitive to movement anywhere in the trsiler, when its in a squeaky mood.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Our dealer just spent several hours trying to diagnose the squeak. After reading garybair posts here they were in touch with Airstream who told them to pull the hubs off to inspect the brakes. When they did that they found the magnet on the wheel which was where the squeak seemed to be coming from had fallen apart. They replaced that one and the one on the other side to be safe. We are heading out today for about a 500 mile jaunt and I will report when we get back mid October. After the first 100 miles, no squeak yet.....🤞
Old 09-25-2020, 10:36 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Aloha , Oregon
Interesting. Will look forward to any updates. Fumny how many different diagnosis this squeak has had!.

I didn't know there was a magnet in there. What is it for? I wonder if they perhaps "touched" anything else in there while at it.

Thank you very much to all of you for sharing your experiences. We collectively really need to figure this out.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Apparently the magnet actuates the brakes. Go to dexteraxle.com and look at Electric brakes and you get the detailed explanation. Here is a photo of the destroyed magnet: Click image for larger version

Name:	7D36F113-A621-4D9C-BEF8-F2C424318F26.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	379504 (I hope).

I’m wondering if the noise was in someway caused by the auto adjust feature of the magnet which may have adjusted itself so it just touches the brake drum or housing and rubs? That seems in line with previous posts showing a bit of rub marks. We put on about 200 miles yesterday and no noise so far.🤞
Old 09-27-2020, 08:35 AM   #53

2017 25' International
Phoenix , AZ
Thanks all- seems that this is systemic issue

I'm glad I'm not the only one. This has been driving me nuts and very discouraging. Here's what mine sounds like:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0jNz...zBtL28vCIDvMuw
Bearwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Well, I knew I was risking upsetting the squeak demons by saying it was gone! It’s back but, this time I have recorded it for the dealer and isolated it to the rear curb side wheel/axle area. The magnet issue was on the same side but front axle.....so, back to the drawing board. Will take it in again when we are back in a couple of weeks.🤷*♂️
Old 09-28-2020, 07:09 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Aloha , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwithus View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one. This has been driving me nuts and very discouraging. Here's what mine sounds like:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0jNz...zBtL28vCIDvMuw
Bearwithus, That us exactly the same squeak as is the subject of this discussion, and our squeak. Let us know if you figure it out.

Here is ours again for reference (this link doesnt require download and unzip like yours, so easier to listen to)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b28...w?usp=drivesdk

I dont understsnd why Airstream is acting so ignorant about this when its an issue on so many new trailers, it seems when they get about 20k miles on them. We should expect more from a trailer that cost 2-3x other products out there.

We're going to put another 2k on our trailer in the next week. We'll see how it goes.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
My noise is exactly the same. We moved sites yesterday and, typical, it is not squeaking now. We are moving again tomorrow and I will see.....frustrating trying to pin this sucker down!😖
Old 09-29-2020, 11:02 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Aloha , Oregon
Ours used to be more intermittent, but now it is most always there, but we can make it louder or softer by adjusting tongue height.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Dana Point , CA
I listened to the sound file and have the exact same issue in ny 23' International. It's a 2017 and the noise began last year, so two years, no squeak. I'm no mechanic, so following this thread and thinking I can resolve it is not realistic. I know how to point and spray WD-40, but that is about where my under-carriage skills begin and end. If so many of us have this issue, why hasn't Airstream figured it out and released some advice on the fix?
Old 10-09-2020, 10:59 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Aloha , Oregon
Great question Rick!

We just got back from our trip. Ended up only 1600 miles, but in any case we didnt hear the squeak while there, but now that we're home and she's back in the garage, alas the squeak is still there.

Did observe, or heard, something whille away that may be helpful. Our son wanted me to go for a ride in his '99 Subaru Forester, because it has some new sound ever since he got new brake shoes, he wanted ne to diagnose.. We could hear it at low speeds while cornering, with brakes not applied (side load on wheel?) As the right backwheel rotated, once per rotation something inside the wheel rubs, and it makes the same squeak as our airstream! I think its got to be the brake shoe assembly rubbing on something.. backing plate? The same day they put in the new brakes the sound started.. and he's never heard it before. Hum..

Putting the grease behind our brake shoes didnt help though.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:40 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Garybair, when you park your trailer do you back in straight or need to do a bit of a turn at the end? Just wondering if the wheel(s) could be getting side pressure applied and maybe cause the rubbing? Mine seems to be intermittent so I haven’t really paid attention to if it was a possible pressure while turning situation. Still scratching my head......