Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2003, 10:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Angry two problems

This is my 4th airstream and it is a 1998 31' classic and I have the following problems and thought maybe somebody could help.
1. Water pump runs but does not pump water. sound like it has lost its prime. Have checked all strainers etc and seem fine.
2. When dometic fridge is on gas and we are traveling, it goes out and does not relight. You can imagine the problem when it is hot outside and long distance to go.
anybody have any suggestions or fixes.
Thank you
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 12:55 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As far as your fridge goes there have been issues with the newer A/S with flame out problems when the trailer is moving. There are two solutions given at this point. One is to install a small furnace filter that will cover the openings in the door. I was told this was sort of a last resort fix and that I should remove the filter while parked to increase airflow.

The other method is a sheet metal baffle. Here is a picture of one.

I have the baffle in my Safari and it has taken care of the problem.

Regards,

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	refrigeratorbaffle.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1869  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 01:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Rochar3

You have a private message

Mark
Old 04-21-2003, 06:43 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

dumb question-but is it ok to run your refrigerator on gas when you are traveling down the road.
Sincerely,
New to RVing
Old 04-21-2003, 07:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Water Pump

rochar3, check the strainer(s) again. My pump did not seem to be pumping after it was dewinterized. The screw would not tighten up as the hole was stripped in the plastic holding the clear plastic bulb on. I could see air bubbling in from around the edge of the "O" ring.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:07 PM   #6
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
That's not a dumb question at all.My manual indicates that it WAS acceptable practice in 1976.I,however,have been towing with mine off as I thought there was a law prohibiting such practice for safety reasons -for example a collision,rock penetration of exposed live gas line,etc.
Maybe somebody can clarify which practice is legal.
It would make my wife alot happier if all the food wasn't warm every time we get to a campsite!!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Water pump lost prime

Could well be that some construction debris has blocked an ell or an inlet.

You might try to rig up an air hose and blow from the pump to the Potable Water tank.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
I just had the same problem. Do you have a "winterizing valve" between the pump and the tank? I had one installed so all I have to do is flip a valve and place the extra hose right in to the antifreeze bottle. I makes it so easy to winterize the camper. Make sure the valve is back in to "summer mode" if it's not the pump will sounds like it going dry.
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:07 PM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Running fridge whjle travelling

Yes, it is perfectly legal at least 99% of the time.

Exceptions are some tunnels and bridges. For instance, the tunnel in Mobile, AL. Going east, I was advise to turn off the gas at the Visitor's Center and to pull off near the Battleship Alabama to relight.

In Texas, there is no way we could travel the miles we travel, in the temperatures we have, and not provide cooling enroute.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:24 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
two problems

RE: Traveling with the Refrigerator Running on LP

While there aren't nationwide laws banning the practice, it is imperative to remember to extinguish all flames prior to entering a refueling stop. Take it from someone who travels with Murphy's Law as a constant companion. Three times in the last 7 years, I have had hoses rupture at gas pumps sending aywhere from 5 gallons to in excess of 50 gallons of gasoline cascading onto the pavement. Concern about just such situations is why I never traveled with my gas valves on and is why I continue to follow the practice. In fact, today when I was filling up in preparation for my 400 mile drive back to my current residence - - I looked down to discover fuel oozing from cracks in the fuel delivery hose at the service station that has only been in operation for three years (reported this to the manager - - he was disbelieving, but checked and discovered that I was correct and immediately closed the pump). When I purchased a new refrigerator for my '64 Overlander it was a 3-way Dometic so it cools beautifully on 12-volt while traveling - - will experiment with the Minuet this summer - - it may be seeing a new 3-way refrigerator as well.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:50 AM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Kevin I concur with your thoughts. I do travel with LP on but always shut down the refrigerator before moving to the pumps. Personally I know I'm safe but I can't trust others out there. For that reason I will not refuel where I see another RV at the pumps.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:24 PM   #12

Quote:
It would make my wife alot happier if all the food wasn't warm every time we get to a campsite!!
Creampuff,

here is what we do:

1_make sure your fridge & freezer are completely packed. Leave just enough room to put "blue ice" in both.
2_put frozen stuff you are planning to eat right away in the fridge: frozen OJ, frozen container of stew,... If you have too much space left, add frozen bottles of water.
We travel a lot for most part of the day that way, and the fridge ends up still cold.
If you can, try not to open the doors while on the road.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:45 PM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
[QUOTE]make sure your fridge & freezer are completely packed. Leave just enough room to put "blue ice" in both.
QUOTE]

That works OK for the first leg of a trip, but my refrigerator (and many others) is too small for that to work on a practical basis. Two packs of blue ice would take up most of my freezer space or the freezer space in a Bambi (and just about all the freezer space on a 22' CCD).

Even with larger freezers, the cooling power of a RV fridge is marginal to keep freezer temperatures safe when recooling the blue ice. I tried it with my former 6 cu ft unit and I didn't like what my thermometer showed.

I do like the 3-way option and would use it in all but the highest temperature trips if my trailer had it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:16 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, in all the years we've camped, I had NEVER even considered the issue of an open flame from the fridge at the gas station. What a total nightmare that could be.

For me, I run mine while on the road using the LP gas. Since mine is on the "passenger" side, I don't get the blow by from the trucks. This last trip I took, the camper was exposed to 30 MPH winds that hit the exterior fridge compartment directly and I passed several semis and was passed and pushed by many semis. In each case the flame on the Bambi never went out. I think if your fridge is on the "driver's" side, Jack's mod looks like the way to go.

I may start to shut it down when going to fill up for gas. That to me makes the most sense, I can't believe I didn't even consider it.

As for the blue things, I agree that I don't have that kind of real estate in the fridge to be able to give up that space for auxillary cooling. It needs to work as designed and to me that design is LP gas on while in transit.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:20 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Refer on the road

Most modern refers are 2 way or 3 way operation. If the refer is a 120vac model the road time is an excellant way to make the refer and freezer very cold. The refer uses very little power when operated by ac power. Go to a competent RV, solar, or electrical shop and have a small inverter wired to to trailer battery. While traveling down the hiways, the inverter will not take any capacity from the battery and use only tow vehicle alternator power. The ac power is a gift, at no cost. Most refrigs use only 3-5 amps at 120vac. The trailer motion also improved the cooling process. There is no open flame so refrig does not need to be manipulated. Operating a refer on 12vdc is not a wise decision. Refers using 12vdc will use up any batteries quickly. I have changed many rv refers to use only 120vac as a apartment unit. The cost is just about 1/3 as rv refer. People with inverters have more fun.....
Old 04-22-2003, 08:28 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Water pump start up

People who are not familar with rv water sytems should make a few changes to better check the system. It is of good value to use clear plastic hose for the connections in and out of the pump. When first filling a dry and drained water tank, a package of koolaid is added with the first half tank of fresh new water. The bright red cherry color helps to track the water and will reveal any leaks or problems. Any sign of red out of the piping indicates some attention is required...... Yep, ya can use blue or green too...... Koolaid koolaid, tastes great..
Old 04-22-2003, 08:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

On the topic of keeping things in the fridge cool while on the road:

Granted, the following will not work for everyone, but it will work for some -

Since campground water is always an unknown quantity, we like to start out with water from home (we have the good fortune of having good, filtered water). We do this by freezing one gallon jug and one half gallon jug of water. The gallon goes in the fridge and the half gallon in the freezer compartment. I have never had either thaw even half way in a full day of traveling. Everything stays plenty cold. And once it thaws, we have drinking water without the necessity of buying bottled water.

For the return home, we freeze the half gallon again, using tap water, and put it in the fridge. Normally, we have little to keep cold coming home. Since we are not going to drink it, we don't really care what it tastes like.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:52 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My fridge on the 03 Bambi is a two way. 120v or LP gas. The solar thing sounds neat, but for me, I don't think I'm gonna reinvent the wheel when the LP feature seems to work real good. I don't have to have any water bottles or otherwise frozen to keep cool in transit. If you go on long trips that take a few days travel time that might not work. As for solar, it is an interesting thought.

The Koolaid thing is a neat trick, but again in the 03 Bambi, I have a meter panel that tells me how much water I have. I can also take a peek by lifing the cushion and looking at the tank directly. If there are leaks, the pump will activate to add pressure to the line. Granted if it's a small leak somewhere, the odds are that it is in a place you can't see anyway.

Regards,

Eric
Old 04-22-2003, 09:04 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Eric ... Solar not required

My post mentioned a solar shop only because, that kind of shop would be very familar with inverters. I'm not sure if solar panels will stay focused inroute. Ya know heat and sun's wave lenghts etc.
The savings of propane costs and not having to change fuel sources at fuelup time is of some value. The inverter can continue operation as propane needs to be stopped.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:08 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Good point. I see what you mean. I'll tell you, when I left last week, I bet if I had some good solar panels, I'd have had a good charge the whole way down to the Louisville area! Bright direct sun and 85 degrees. Now back to reality, cold and overcast back home!

Regards,

Eric