Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2021, 09:43 AM   #1

2021 16' Basecamp
Victoria , British Columbia
Truma combi eco plus error code E6H

Newbie here, greetings from Canada

I had just purchased a 2021 Basecamp and it has the truma combi eco plus built in.

After owning it for a good 3 weeks the cp plus screen showed an error message that I have not seen in any manuals (reads E 6 H). A quick Google search came up with nothing.

I tried the following and nothing seems to work so far:
- turning all powers off, wait 20 minutes and start up again.
- use different modes (gas, mix, electric), with and without water heater on.
- reset cp plus
- turn the system on and off
- disconnect propane tanks, disconnect propane tank to reset regulator. Tested the stove and all worked. Still truma refuse to start.

I have read that there is a hard reset button at the back of the truma, I opened the back panel and don't see that button at all. Probably a different gen.

I also read there is a button for overheating protection, again tried to find that button to push but no luck. The truma is fitted so tight inside the basecamp it's hard to even take the panel off without a mirror and a flashlight.

The dealership won't take me in until May, not to mention they are 4 hours drive away, so I am left with trying to figure this out myself or hire a technical.

My question is did anyone encountered this error message in the past? It is preventing it from starting in all modes (gas, mix, electric), and that really take away the possiblity of us going to camping this spring or even summer...

Many thanks
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210217_172138.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	389134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210218_133249.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	389135  

Kenplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ken

Sorry, I’m clueless but I do have a question that might help others help you.

Other than the code as you show, is there anything or function that isn’t working correctly?

My rig has older school features.

Good luck

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #3

2021 16' Basecamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Ken

Sorry, I’m clueless but I do have a question that might help others help you.

Other than the code as you show, is there anything or function that isn’t working correctly?

My rig has older school features.

Good luck

Gary

Thanks Gary,

The Truma unit starts for 2 seconds than stopped. So the entire system does not start or work due to the error message.

So no hot water and no heat. Propane, hook up, none worked..
Old 02-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Ken,

They do have a phone number, might be a possible tech support call.

I did take a quick look, kind of a master control for heat and hot water etc. But you knew that.

Good luck

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 02-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Scottsdale , Arizona
We also have a new 2021 Basecamp and our display abruptly starting flashing and then screen went blank on our third trip - dealer had to replace so not sure this helps but there wasn't anything we could do on our own.
2Rvss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:25 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2022 19' Caravel
Somewhere in , New Mexico
I never saw that code on either of our Travatos with the combi. In my experience if a reset from the CP or unplug/breaker off for 15 mins doesn’t fix, it’s probably service time. I found this link in another forum to the same error code in which Truma said a minor adjustment by dealer was needed. https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk...-heater/38297/
mtnbikerNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:47 AM   #7

2021 16' Basecamp
Finally got a respond from truma, they said the code has something to do with the combustion motor

Quote:
E6H – current for combustion motor is too high

There is something in the combustion air motor or the cable harness that is defective causing the combustion air motor to draw too much current.

Not sure how accurate that is since some say minor adjustment is needed on the other forum (I contacted the user, haven't heard back if it ended up being a simple fix), other said it may be a warranty replacement.

I would imagine if they can narrow down to the motor, it would be an easy fix, but I guess we'll see.

Seems like an expensive code to get if you are out of warranty.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:00 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Ken,

Remember complete SWAG's as I've never seen one of these let alone work on it. Possible causes of high current draw.

Motor bearing(s), worn and dragging hard to turn.
Poor electrical connection. This might be a bad crimp, corrosion or something that has not made a good solid connection.
Debris in fan shroud area. Any debris that impedes fan from turning freely increases current draw.

If you're handy some of that might be doable.

That codes answer is at least a lead.

Gary
Old 02-24-2021, 08:21 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2022 19' Caravel
Somewhere in , New Mexico
Although the Trumas are ducted heaters, the air intake/return is not and simply has a plastic grill housing covering it. It's on the opposite side of the output ducts adjacent to the gas and water inlets. Perhaps something is blocking either the grill or squirrel cage blower inside. You mentioned the lack of access to the unit, typically, the front and back are very tightly fitted in the cabinet but the ends have a bit more space because of the connection. If so, you may be able to remove the grill and access the fan to see if it's blocked, but before doing so, you may be able to test to see if the blower is seized or jammed by sticking a length of stiff wire (clothes hanger?) through the grill and attempt to move the motor a bit. Unfortunately in the US, it seems you can't buy parts and have to take it in for service, otherwise it might be worth just replacing the blower motor.
mtnbikerNM is offline   Reply With Quote