Old 08-04-2018, 09:19 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Timmins , ON
tree puncture in roof

Is it possible to completely restore a roof that has a three inch puncture from a tree. It is presently patched but that would hurt resale .... how can it be restored and for how much?

maryfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
I well done patch will not hurt resale value

Old 08-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A lot depends on the age of the trailer and the sort of condition it's in. If this is a 2018 33' Classic, then indeed a patch ( no matter how well done) will significantly hurt resale. If it's a 30 year old trailer with other issues ... the impact may be very small.

A proper repair involves pulling off the damaged section(s) of outer skin and replacing them with new sections. If the puncture also goes through the inner skin(s), same thing there. If structural components are damaged, they need to be swapped out as well.

Cost wise, with no pictures or full details, it's impossible to say. It could be $2,000 it could be $20,000. It depends on a lot of stuff.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:29 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Timmins , ON
Thanks for the reply. I am new at this chat thing so I am not sure if i am sending two thank you's lol I think i pressed submit but I don't see my reply. I want to learn all I can about the Airstreams. I think the Classic 30 is about the best fit for us but at the moment we only have an F150 for pulling
maryfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryfen View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am new at this chat thing so I am not sure if i am sending two thank you's lol I think i pressed submit but I don't see my reply. I want to learn all I can about the Airstreams. I think the Classic 30 is about the best fit for us but at the moment we only have an F150 for pulling
Hi

First find a dealer that has inventory. Then spend at least a day sitting in this and that. Figure out what you fit in and what it to big / to small. Then go off someplace quite and talk it all over. This *very* much includes the $$$$ aspect of all this. Figure that the "best price" on the trailer will be in the 15 to 20% off MSRP range.

If new is over the top money wise, used is a *very* legitimate alternative. Figure that you will have to go back a few years (6 or so) to save significant money. That will drop a few "bling" items off the trailer.

Once you have a target trailer and know what you will be towing, figure out what makes sense to tow it. I pull a Classic 30 with a fairly maxed out F-250. I'm happy with that. It's hardly the "minimum" you could use. The *big* issues on any tow vehicle are:

1) You need a hitch
2) You need a trailer brake controller
3) You need towing mirrors

The brake controller and mirror are available as options on a new truck. There are ways to put some on after the fact as well.

Spend some time on understanding the various ratings on any tow vehicle. Also understand that there are people who customize vehicles for towing. That may or may not be something you want to get involved in.

Most of all - have some fun at this !!! Relax and don't go to insane with all of it. Don't let it turn into a chore

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote