Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2021, 06:15 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Transporting for Warranty Work

So here is a question for all you short and long term Airstream owners:

If you have a warranty issue that is beyond the scope of your local dealer and the unit has to be transported to JC, will Airstream ship the trailer back to JC, or are you required to tow in back to the factory?

I noticed when I was on the lot and ordering my GT27FBT, that trailers were being delivered on large truck/transport trailers. So the capability is there.

Thanks for the info,
Wooly
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
It really depends.

Usually the owner brings the trailer to JC, but if the issue is significant manufacturing defect, I have heard sometimes they will either cover some of the costs or pay to have the trailer hauled to and from the customer. It's rare this happens, but it has happened, normally it's on your dime.

For the most part, outside of the ability of a local dealer might only be body panel replacement, but not always.

If I understand correctly, you haven't picked up your unit yet and are already concerned about hauling it in for repair a local dealer can't do? I've read a few of your posts lately and it seems you might be getting cold feet on your ordered unit? If so, I don't have any real magic words to say here, the overall quality has always been hit or miss. Yes, it's a good deal of money, and you have every right to be concerned, but if you are having this kind of concern (and others I've read that you've posted), maybe you should cancel the order and find a preowned one you can get your hands on and feel better about, because I can't tell you that the unit you ordered will be problematic or not. At least a pre-owned might not be as costly down the road. A new unit **almost** always has some shake down things to deal with (some more than others) and if you are not handy and/or don't want to have it in the shop for a few weeks at a time, maybe a new unit really isn't for you?

Also, if the issue were to happen in winter when snow or road treatments are on the road I would be reluctant to transport (myself or via a hauler) and opt to wait for spring.

Personally, I am in the market for a 30 footer bunk, but I have come to the conclusion that between the power demand issues that have not been addressed, the shortages in labor and materials delaying most new orders to nearly 9 months, I am sitting this out for a few years as this all shakes out. That's not to say there aren't some well built units coming off the line......
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:09 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
To the OP....

It's probability best to suppress until it happens...or not.

But if it is a BIG concern at this stage, it doesn't bode well for the future.

Have you considered a gently used unit for a test buy, see if you will even enjoy the lifestyle. Less depreciation and most of the 'gizmos' taken care of.

"Worry, a brain exercise done when it really wants to sleep"
RLC

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

Instead of going to ’Starbucks…I make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Have the 100% Total Operational Walk Through

Wooly... You probably are reading the 27FB threads, which are true and not fiction.

From what I understand, the 2021 FB's have been... fixed? As far as the Indents of the lower left and right corners. We had a lively discussion concerning this and the undefined Separation issues of older FB models. Corrosion may be the real culprit of the hidden riveted aluminum skin. Not rivets.

You probably have the Right of Refusal when the trailer arrives at the Dealership. Ask for a 100% walkthrough. Everything is operating. Propane appliances. Electric appliances. Fresh Water tank full. Some water in the Grey and Black Tanks.

At the end of the walk through... look for water drips underneath. Smell for Propane at the Propane tanks... these regulators being used do leak, somewhat. I bought a spare in the event mine fails.

The trailer then will be under water pressure, air in the water system purged.

Confirm yourself that the radio works. Televisions work... etc. 100%. If something does not work... it needs to. The Dealer may say it has to be Sold before they can do... warranty work. I do not know. If anything is not working... it should be... before you pay. If it cannot be repaired at the Dealership... it is on their Dollar, not yours.

My 2006 had a long list of issues. I cannot recall them, but in 2007 we drove to Jackson Center and spent about five days. We used it for 8 years. Loved it. Bought a 2014 25 foot and this time knew what to check. Sold it after 4 years and stepped up to a 2019 27 foot. FB.

The Las Vegas Airstream dealership did a 100% top to bottom operational show and tell. We were 100% content. My wife is even more detailed orientated, than myself.

A miracle in my focus on getting what I pay for... A perfect Airstream, twice from knowing what to do before buying.

It WAS 100%. Everything operates as I type. The Front End Indents were later and probably not going to be fixed, as the Fix... may be worse than the indents and tear.

Just confirm these issues with your Dealer. Inspect the outside, inside, top and bottom. If this is your first... have an owner help. This is an expensive purchase. If it meets your expectations while on the Dealer's Lot... you will be a happy owner. Like my wife and I.

First item to test. The batteries. They may install them AFTER delivery now. In years past... the batteries were DEAD on Arrival. When they demonstrate the trailer, they will be plugged into their power. The AC's, if you have two running, might trip their breaker... just saying.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:02 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolecox View Post
So here is a question for all you short and long term Airstream owners:

If you have a warranty issue that is beyond the scope of your local dealer and the unit has to be transported to JC, will Airstream ship the trailer back to JC, or are you required to tow in back to the factory?

I noticed when I was on the lot and ordering my GT27FBT, that trailers were being delivered on large truck/transport trailers. So the capability is there.

Thanks for the info,
Wooly
Hi

The best time to back out of a deal you are getting bad vibes about is now. Whenever now is, that's when to back out. Since you have no real money in the trailer *and* this is a sellers market, the dealer can easily sell the same trailer to someone else. Your deposit should come back to you.

Local dealers replace skins, local dealers replace axles. A frame cracked in half is a rare issue. Local welding shops can do wonders on steel frames. The normal process on a trailer is to fix it locally / at the dealer. You *can* pull the trailer back to JC yourself and let them do the work. The cost of that trip is on you.

Are there exceptions to this? In 80+ years of building trailers, I'm sure there have been. Just what drove those exceptions ... who knows. I would not count on an exception being made in any specific circumstance. I would assume any issues (regardless of their nature) would be fixed at the dealer.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
To the OP....

It's probability best to suppress until it happens...or not.

But if it is a BIG concern at this stage, it doesn't bode well for the future.

Have you considered a gently used unit for a test buy, see if you will even enjoy the lifestyle. Less depreciation and most of the 'gizmos' taken care of.

"Worry, a brain exercise done when it really wants to sleep"
RLC

Bob
🇺🇸

This will be my 4th camper trailer in 25 years. I love the life style.
Too scared of used and no warranty. The ones I have seen are sky high anyway. I don't want someone else problems.

Never had to constantly repair the old ones that my family and I have had over the years. I have researched all the top brands today. There seems to be a lot of problems with all of them.

We really want to travel and camp, not work on the trailer all the time. I don't worry too much. When the time comes I will pull the trigger or, not.

Cheers,
Wooly
Old 10-15-2021, 09:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Wooly... You probably are reading the 27FB threads, which are true and not fiction.

From what I understand, the 2021 FB's have been... fixed? As far as the Indents of the lower left and right corners. We had a lively discussion concerning this and the undefined Separation issues of older FB models. Corrosion may be the real culprit of the hidden riveted aluminum skin. Not rivets.

You probably have the Right of Refusal when the trailer arrives at the Dealership. Ask for a 100% walkthrough. Everything is operating. Propane appliances. Electric appliances. Fresh Water tank full. Some water in the Grey and Black Tanks.

At the end of the walk through... look for water drips underneath. Smell for Propane at the Propane tanks... these regulators being used do leak, somewhat. I bought a spare in the event mine fails.

The trailer then will be under water pressure, air in the water system purged.

Confirm yourself that the radio works. Televisions work... etc. 100%. If something does not work... it needs to. The Dealer may say it has to be Sold before they can do... warranty work. I do not know. If anything is not working... it should be... before you pay. If it cannot be repaired at the Dealership... it is on their Dollar, not yours.

My 2006 had a long list of issues. I cannot recall them, but in 2007 we drove to Jackson Center and spent about five days. We used it for 8 years. Loved it. Bought a 2014 25 foot and this time knew what to check. Sold it after 4 years and stepped up to a 2019 27 foot. FB.

The Las Vegas Airstream dealership did a 100% top to bottom operational show and tell. We were 100% content. My wife is even more detailed orientated, than myself.

A miracle in my focus on getting what I pay for... A perfect Airstream, twice from knowing what to do before buying.

It WAS 100%. Everything operates as I type. The Front End Indents were later and probably not going to be fixed, as the Fix... may be worse than the indents and tear.

Just confirm these issues with your Dealer. Inspect the outside, inside, top and bottom. If this is your first... have an owner help. This is an expensive purchase. If it meets your expectations while on the Dealer's Lot... you will be a happy owner. Like my wife and I.

First item to test. The batteries. They may install them AFTER delivery now. In years past... the batteries were DEAD on Arrival. When they demonstrate the trailer, they will be plugged into their power. The AC's, if you have two running, might trip their breaker... just saying.
All very good advice Ray. I plan to spend a lot of time going over it and exercising all the appliances, etc. before even leaving the lot.

Then we are going to camp for a couple of nights at a nearby RV Park near Austin. It is about 10 miles from the dealer. That should take care of the immediate issues. And yes, I will refuse it if I find big issues.

I have to tell you, today I drove 6 hours on SW Texas roads. They are so rough and uneven that your truck practically becomes airborne, even operating at or below speed limit. The trailer is going to have to be solid. I have been paying attention to what others are towing and what they are towing with. I have definitely seen some white knuckles.

It IS the 27' FB issues that I am concerned about months or years down the road. All the foreign made junk can be replaced.

I posted an email from the AS Factory that says they are aware of the 27FB issues and are adding support to the frame. We will see. It can't be profitable for them to have to repair all these issues.

Regards,
Wooly