Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
All projects require a blood sacrifice.

I can sympathize with those who have run into awning supports. I did that the other day while taking down the awnings. Yes, I have pool noodles on the awning supports, but they are the last thing put on and the first removed. As I was moving from one side to the other I turned around and took one step - right into the awning arm.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
The sharp edges of any laminated surfaces. I slice myself just about anytime I get under the folding seating, storing/removing stuff. I keep threatening myself to tape over these razors, I guess I haven't donated enough blood yet, , ,
If you'd want, it's possible to file down those sharp edges and .
Old 04-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Once, while putting my awning up, one of the side support bars broke in two. The piece that's attached to the awning is under spring tension and came spinning down with the broken piece of the bar beating everything in it's path including the index finger on my right hand. I don't think it broke the finger, but there was much swelling and I still have a divot and nice scar. My AS has a scratch and ding as a result, but that's something we have in common. After some serious cursing, I was able to get the awning back up and the bars held together with duct tape so that we could get on with our trip. I contacted Zip Dee about the broken awning support bar, sent photos, and they sent me a new bar toot sweet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning 001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	237280  
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
About a year or so ago, I was polishing the front of the Airstream using a sewn buffer wheel. The wheel caught on the edge of the battery box on the front wall of the trailer. It yanked the buffer out of my hands, spraining my wrist. I was fortunate to not have broken my wrist. I couldn't hold the buffer again for almost a month. I've learned to back the speed of the buffer way down when in areas where it can catch on edges.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #25
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
From hitch to bumper..... What hasn't resulted in blood loss?

Lets talk about the screws protruding outward from the windows! Ever catch one drying out the window channels? Son of a dogs mother!!!!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
These are great and horrible at the same time... While using a small, wire disc on a drill to clean a small piece of cast, I was holding the cast piece against my shorts. The brush got too close and before I could let off the trigger, the whole leg of my shorts was wrapped around the brush. Took about 10 minutes to extract and left a small rashed area too close to delicate parts. Never again.

On the 1950, first weekend taking out some inside pieces, I forgot the step by the door was missing and foot fell right through the belly pan as I rolled out. Got a few cuts but survived. Can't wait to have a solid floor in this thing.

Step safe everyone.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote