Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Southwick , Massachusetts
Trailer hunt questions

Not sure what the right forum would be for these so please direct me to the "right" one if there is one.

I'm starting to look around at used/vintage trailers for purchase and have noticed many of them are situated in trailer parks in vacation areas. Which to me means they have probably not moved in a while. Many of these areas are at the shore, as in the Maine shore. I noticed while reading that folks tend to look for trailers that have not been by the water and I'm wondering what would be considered "by the water", like within a mile, 5 miles, 30 miles? and what would the repercussions be to a trailer that spent some years there? I can't imagine the salt would be good for them but how bad is it?
Also would there be anything special I should check on trailers that have been sitting in a park besides tires and brakes?

Thanks
Bob
Padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's a fine looking can of worms you've opened...
If the trailer was parked by the ocean, you will likely see a lot of corrosion on the skin, if parked by a lake or stream the corrosion would be underneath.
Trailers that are parked for extended periods get many of the same ailments as cars and trucks that are parked for long times. Water systems can (and probably will) leak, axles will take a permanent "set", and be pretty much frozen in place. As soon as you tow it, all the seams will shift, and many will start leaking.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Southwick , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
It's a fine looking can of worms you've opened...
If the trailer was parked by the ocean, you will likely see a lot of corrosion on the skin, if parked by a lake or stream the corrosion would be underneath.
Trailers that are parked for extended periods get many of the same ailments as cars and trucks that are parked for long times. Water systems can (and probably will) leak, axles will take a permanent "set", and be pretty much frozen in place. As soon as you tow it, all the seams will shift, and many will start leaking.
Thanks for the info, I think. What is a shifted seam? You mean around windows and doors? or between the skin panels? or both?

What would make the water systems leak, freezing?
Padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Padlin... Shifting seams would mean movement or shifting at the seems between aluminum panels... Leaking plumbing could be caused by freezing or sitting there all dried out...much depends on the climate and conditions under which the unit has been sitting... In general, just sitting there for years is a bad thing...and if it's vacant and not used, that's even worse, as things that just sit tend to deteriorate faster than when they are in use...it's that old "use it or lose it" thing.

Here's a link to a subform that will gve you some general things to consider when you are looking for a used unit: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/ And there are other subforms that deal with specific systems and issues...clink on "forum listings" in the left column of your screen...that will take you to a list of subforums... Poke around in there and you will learn a lot about what to look for and what to do about certain things... and of course, you can ask questions, too! That's allowed!

Good luck, and we hope to see you down the orad in your own Airsteam soon!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote