Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
Total Newbie Question - Freshwater tank emptying onto the ground

Hi - Total newbie here, so this is probably a really dumb question.

I just had delivered a 2017 International Serenity 19 ft, and I'm trying to get it ready for our first outing.

I wanted to sterilize the freshwater tank, but when I put a hose into the freshwater tank (valve inside the little compartment at the front driver's side), water just spills onto the ground through two white plastic pipes coming down from the trailer bottom.

Of course the dealership is closed for the day. I thought the pipes might be missing a cap but there are no threads on the pipes. I also wondered if there are shutoff valves somewhere inside but I'm not finding much in the manual or in other forum questions.

I'm starting to worry that I've gotten in over my head. I'm a single mom after my husband died last year, and he's the one who used to do all the mechanical stuff. I've got kids looking forward to heading out in the morning for the weekend. Yikes!

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips. I'm happy to join you here.
Cynthia
Mom of Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #2

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Those would be the drains. Go inside to the area that would be over those pipes, there will be a valve on each one. They are probably behind a little door without a knob on it, likely under a closet.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Those would be the drains. Go inside to the area that would be over those pipes, there will be a valve on each one. They are probably behind a little door without a knob on it, likely under a closet.
thank you - running out to the driveway to check now.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Agree, drain valves Probably near, or around the hot water heater.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Thanks so much! I found some tubing and valves under the dinette seat. Played around and the water isn't draining out. I really appreciate the help!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I admire your spirit! Take it one step at a time and you'll do great! We are all rooting for you
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Get you salesperson's cell phone number. Get the service tech's cell phone number. And with tact, make a nuisance of yourself. Valves should not be open. It may be a winterize condition and that should have been discussed in the walk through. We had a few of those conditions too. Lots to learn. All of these type items will soon be information that you know. Kind of fun when you can be the one to help a newbee.

Have a nice weekend and travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
As stated, yes those are low point drains that are used to help drain the system for winter. The fact that they were open leaves the possibility that the trailer was winterized, and the valves were left open. A couple other things to double check:

After your water tank is full, and the pump is on (it's a switch on the wall next to the range, unless it's somewhere else on a 2017), make sure that clear water is coming out of your taps...not pinkish water, which would indicate the presence of winterizing antifreeze in all the water lines. If so, run all the taps well until the water runs clear and odor free. You will likely need to empty your gray tank on location as it fills, it's the valve on the side near the back that says "waste". The other valve is the sewage tank for the bathroom, don't pull that in case the toilet has been used :-)

The other think to check is to make sure that the winterizing bypass for your hot water heater is in the summer position. It *should* be one or a combination of valves under the bed, there will be access holes in the bed platform under the mattress. Those valves in the correct position will allow your water heater to fill with water. Meanwhile, on the outside of the trailer on the passenger side near the back, open that cover for the water heater, and see if the white plug is screwed in on the lower left side. This would be the drain for the water heater. Hopefully it's there.

When the water heater is confirmed as full, only then test it out using propane and/or electric, using the switches in the bathroom. The red light on the switches will only flash for a brief second if the heater is working correctly, the light won't stay on. If using gas you should hear the heater fire up.

These items should be referenced in your manual, though sometimes they can be a bit unspecific to your floor plan.

This might sound overwhelming but it's not really once you do it once, so I hope this post doesn't worry you...the fact that the low point drains were open left it possible that the trailer wasn't properly de-winterized....IF it even was winterized.

On your trip, don't hesitate to ask fellow campers ANY questions that you have, you'll get plenty of help. And of course check in here with any new questions that pop up.

You will do fine! Have a great maiden voyage!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Thank you - yep - the plug cap in the outside area of the hot water heater was unscrewed. I'm going to print out your message and try to check it all out. I appreciate your saying that it should be manageable once I've done it once because I'm certainly feeling out of my depth. Thanks again for the tips.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of Ivy View Post
Hi - Total newbie here, so this is probably a really dumb question.

I just had delivered a 2017 International Serenity 19 ft, and I'm trying to get it ready for our first outing.

I wanted to sterilize the freshwater tank, but when I put a hose into the freshwater tank (valve inside the little compartment at the front driver's side), water just spills onto the ground through two white plastic pipes coming down from the trailer bottom.

Of course the dealership is closed for the day. I thought the pipes might be missing a cap but there are no threads on the pipes. I also wondered if there are shutoff valves somewhere inside but I'm not finding much in the manual or in other forum questions.

I'm starting to worry that I've gotten in over my head. I'm a single mom after my husband died last year, and he's the one who used to do all the mechanical stuff. I've got kids looking forward to heading out in the morning for the weekend. Yikes!

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips. I'm happy to join you here.
Cynthia

Take a look at the manuals you received with your trailer and familiarize yourself with the winterization steps. You'll see where all the different valves and plugs are.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #11
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of Ivy View Post
Thank you - yep - the plug cap in the outside area of the hot water heater was unscrewed. I'm going to print out your message and try to check it all out. I appreciate your saying that it should be manageable once I've done it once because I'm certainly feeling out of my depth. Thanks again for the tips.
Yikes. Your dealer needs to get a ration of it when you return from your trip!! When you say 'delivered', do you mean to your house, or did you pick it up at the dealer and get a walkthrough? Or was it purchased used.

Anyway: Here is what to do:

Re-install the water heater drain plug. It can be trick to get a pair of pliers in there to tighten it up. Ideally, a couple wraps of plumber's tape should be put on the threads first, if you have access to any or maybe a neighbor? If not you will likely have a very slow drip which will be OK for this trip.

Once the plug is installed, lift your mattress, better yet move it onto the floor if needed. There will be one or two round holes in the bed platform. In one of them, you will see the water heater. On the 2017 model, there is just one bypass valve to turn...it's a valve behind the water heater. It needs to be turned to the open position so that the valve handle is 'in line' with the pipe. If it was closed, you'll hear water start to fill the tank. I'm suspecting that it was closed, otherwise water would be coming out of that drain where the plug was not installed. ALSO--there are TWO more low point drains under the bed you access through one of those holes. If the ones up front were open, these two might be also. Look under the trailer and see if water is coming out of the drains under the bed when the water pump is on and there is water in your tank...if so...turn OFF those valves too!

Once the hot water tank is full (it holds six gallons, your water pump will stop pumping once the tank is full) go ahead and test your hot water heater using first gas...you'll hear it fire up. (Turn on your gas cylinders of course) Then shut that switch off and try the electric if you are plugged in at home. (Don't run the Air conditioner and the water heater on electric if you are plugged in to a standard outlet outside the house or in the garage. Give it 20 minutes and see if the water is hot.

Of course, in preparing for your trip tomorrow, turn the fridge on 'auto', and it should start to cool on electric if you are plugged in, or Propane if you are not plugged in. It can take 12 plus hours. If the check light stays off, all should be good. Also be sure your batteries are on "use" to make sure they get good and charged up. Click the switch inside next to the door to make sure (this is assuming again that you are plugged in to shore power.)

Check back in and let us know how you make out with this stuff. And again...Most of these things are common to all RVs not just Airstream, so any questions/problems on the road, fellow campers can help you.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #12
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Total Newbie Question - Freshwater tank emptying onto the ground

Hang in there. You'll be a pro in no time.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
And, as you can see, you've found a source of advice and support... use the Forums as often as you need to.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
Smile and don't let anyone make you feel like a dummy

I've ridden Harleys for forty years and while not a mechanic, grew up on a farm and have basic mechanical skills. When we got our airstream in mid Feb. and drove south, I filled it with water and faced the same thing, water running out of every place. I found most of the shut off valves, and got the water to stay in, but could not get hot water. I called the factory, and they told me to turn the valve under the bed. I did and water drained out. I called again, and they no, no, not in the back compartment, the one in the little hole under the matress. I lifted the mattress and located the little hole and once I did that, hot water started soon after. It has been a learning experience over the last eight years, and I have often had to rely on others to get the correct answers. Airstream owners are great about helping each other, and sharing knowledge.
I am an advocate of the WBCCI, lots of single women members, a chance for your kids to find friends, and just an overall good group. Good luck and ask any question, none are considered stupid, because there is much to learn.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #15
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Please don't let yourself get too overwhelmed. I very recently lost my husband, best friend and sole mate so I kinda know how you must be feeling. I bought a 2017 Classic in December all on my own, having never done any RVING before and I must say it was the best thing I could have done for myself. These wonderful, non-judgmental folks here on the forum have helped me get through the tough spots and at the absolute worst time in my 57 years. There are lots of solo Airstreamers and lots of female solo Airstreamer who can totally relate. Please come and read the forum as often as possible, you will learn so much and so far everyone has been awesome and very willing to share their knowledge. If often come and read the posts late at night, well because the nights are always the hardest to get through. Hang in there, you can do this, we are all here for you and no question is too silly to ask, well, then again maybe some really are but I won't go there today : ). Please let us know how the trip went.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Another thing you might do is check out the WA WBCCI Unit (Wally Byam Caravan Club International)...the Airstream Owner's Club. (Or any other Unit for that matter.) You will find plenty of support there and if you can attend a rally you can ask a bazillion questions and ask folks to walk you through some things... it's a great support group for someone in your situation. We have learned a lot from our fellow Airstreamers...both here on the Airforums and through our WBCCI Unit. You are now part of a dynamic family of Airstreamers! Good luck! You'll be giving advice to others soon...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Since you really don't know the state of the tank .... fill it all the way full and then dump the whole thing. Run it through every faucet you have (hot and cold). If you are a bit paranoid, do the fill and dump a second time. It's not so much there likely anything dangerous in there. It's mostly that things like RV antifreeze taste really weird.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Hi all - We made it out and back in one piece!

We had a good time and it was great to have our cozy trailer since it rained all weekend.

After the water snafus were resolved, everything was pretty smooth except backing up! (I've got some driving lessons scheduled next month, which should help with that.)

The learning curve feels steep, but I made progress.

I really appreciate all the advice, encouragement and tips that everyone provided. I can tell the forum is going to be a valuable source of information for me.
Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #19
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
As you have already discovered there are a lot of caring, helpful people here to assist in any way they can.

Wishing you many happy adventures!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Backing up --- Read some of the threads here, better yet have several people read them. Retention is better that way.

Take a day off and find a big open parking lot. The remote lot at the mall is good on weekdays. The empty lot by the factory is better on the weekends. Be polite and don't go where the signs say not to go.

Out in the open with no schedule and no yelling, *slowly* back the trailer. Try this, try that. See what works for you. Once you have decided on an approach, stick with it. Practice some more. Take some time off. Watch the birds, fix lunch. Go back and practice a bit. Take some more time off.

If multiple drivers will be handling the trailer, let each of them give backing up a try. That lets the others relax a bit. The key is not to hurry and not to get excited about it.

Yes, when you do it two weeks later, it will feel a bit like you have never done it. That's normal. I can remember every single time in the last 50 years I've had trouble backing up. I can not remember any single time I've ever done it right, other than the last time. That's despite doing it right far more times than getting in trouble. Welcome to human nature ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote