Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2021, 06:15 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Torflex 10 axles

I have a 2004 Safari and the rear curbside tire has worn unevenly with extreme wear over 6 years compared to the other three tires. The wear is on the outside of that tire.

Nobody seems to have the ability to check alignment on trailers? At least not in Albuquerque.

I have had two "old timers" in the repair business tell me they think the axle spindle is bent 4 degrees down on that side of the axle. The trailer seems to track fine, but the unusual tire wear makes me wonder if I should change the axles.

Searching the Forum General Repair for any clue has been unproductive, since on DexterTorflex 10 axles, you can't see inside of them...

That tire ran hot until I changed the bearings and now is cool, even on long runs.

My investigation on Dexter axles points to about $670 an axle for the axle and spindle (I have new brake assemblies and the hubs are good).

Is there some way to tell for sure what the problem is without changing axles? If I change one axle, should I change both?

Any help figuring out how to fix this would be appreciated. I guess I could just buy one tire every so often and let the wear happen... it would be cheaper than changing both axles, but somehow that doesn't seem to be the real "fix" for the problem.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:00 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
2004 is getting about axle time anyway, if they haven't been changed. It would give you the opportunity to increase payload and clearance if you have any desire for those modifications. I can't image what would cause a spindle to bend down but I'm of a mind to listen to old timers, being one myself. Perhaps you can just change that spindle?
Old 03-27-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There are facilities that can check the alignment and correct if needed. Airstream in Jackson Center should be able to provide a list. Give them a call if that is the direction you wish to go. I personally would just go ahead and replace both axles at this time. I bent one a few years back and had both of mine replaced at the factory.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Airstream of New Mexico (Holiday Travel Trailers) swapped my axles a few years ago for a reasonable fee. I ordered them, had them drop shipped to Holiday and Andrew and his guys installed them in a day.

At 18 years old, replacement is likely the easiest and maybe the cheapest way to correct the problem.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Dexter Torflex 10 Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Airstream of New Mexico (Holiday Travel Trailers) swapped my axles a few years ago for a reasonable fee. I ordered them, had them drop shipped to Holiday and Andrew and his guys installed them in a day.

At 18 years old, replacement is likely the easiest and maybe the cheapest way to correct the problem.

I tried Airstream of New Mexico and know Andrew well (his father is President of the company and is also named Andrew). The are so swamped with warranty work they are referring everybody else to other RV repair locations.
It was a good thought though. My original thought was new axles, but I am reading that folks with 1976 vintage units are good, so I don't want to spend a couple thousand (bare Dexter axles from Inland RV arre $670 each without shipping) if the problem isn't axles).

I have already contacted Jackson Center and Dexter and have all the data from the original build. Jackson Center had a 'serial number" and Dexter had the rest of the data from the order of 25 axles that Thor bought at the same time.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Not surprised to hear that the Aragon family is busy — Andrew (Jr) won’t let anything out of the shop unless it is done right. But, he had two of his long-term guys retire in the last few years and none of his kids seem to want to go into the maintenance end...

Mr. Aragon Sr is a hoot. The last time we were there he was visiting (it was when the shop was down the street from the office) and he did his very best to move us from our then ‘86 Sovereign to a new 33’, claiming he could make me an offer I couldn’t refuse.

Back to axles — I would not use Inland right now. The new owners seem to be struggling, phone isn’t answered, messages unreturned... From posts in this Forum, Redneck Trailers is a possibility and, of course, Colin Hyde. Since you have the specs, is there a way to go Dexter?

I know you are tempted to band aid the one wheel and squeeze some more time out of your axles because I did just that with my prior rig. I was wrong — after the new axles the rig rode and towed so much better. Worth every penny.

Good luck whatever way you go!
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I can recommend Luke in Fort Collins, CO. He has done axle work for me in the past. 970-222-4065

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I recommend Luke also. I have purchased 5 axles from him over the years. Two were series 10 and three were series 11. He certainly knows axle specs and can complete the Dexter order form correctly to get the right axle for your trailer. He does axle alignment work, but I have not used him for that, only getting new axles.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote