Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
At one time I worked for NASA. They established these specs. by measuring the extension of the studs and therefore determined the exact stress on the assembly. Using lubricant allowed them to reduce the frictional variance and improve the repeat-ability of the resultant stress. Airstream and the car companies develop their torque specifications without lubricant. Using lubricant on the treads and the torques specified by the dry experiments will result in over stressing and damaging the studs. If you want to use lubricant, then you will have to conduct your own tests to establish new lower torque values that will be required to have the studs to remain in the proportional range stress and resulting in stresses that are 80 to 90% of the yield strength of studs. Personal note: It is easier to follow Airstream's engineering department recommendations and do not use lubricant.
Good poop Dwight!
Yes, stretch and twist of bolt during assembly can allow "over stress"..

This reminds me of Harley Torque specs,,,... Tighten until it juuuuuuuuuuuust starts to twist OFF, then back off 1/4 turn.

Seriously, AS is working with NEW parts, so ideal for establish of specs.

I am with Panheaddave. I do NOT totally coat the threads but they do get a wipe and little dab. I then run lug nuts in/out to ensure even coat and ZERO binds. The real holding power of the lug nut is where it mates to the wheel.. That is where most "torque" will be absorbed. Not the threads.

But, this is like making coffee... If you are happy and like the taste, "Carry On!"

Peace
Channing
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
The question was how to REMOVE lug nuts so still have to go with an impact wrench, it lessens the possibility of a broken stud and is the easiest. To tighten lug nuts by all means use a torque wrench.
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #23
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Removal on roadside favors the prepared.

Proper condition of running gear excluded, here is similar to our carry item .. From Harbor Freight or your own favorite...

Chicago Electric Power Tools - Item#92349

When I find a US made one I will probably get it. Meanwhile, this suffices.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Look for DOT stamp on sidewall, should have an 05 or 06 if original.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #25
lrw
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dundee , Michigan
The tires came via breaker bar and air wrench. Then we opted to upsize from 15" to 16" aluminum wheels outfitted with Goodyear 10 ply load range E tires. We should be all set to roll. Now onto replacing our 19" TV with about a 22" with a digital receiver.
lrw is offline   Reply With Quote