Old 06-27-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Gulf Shores , Alabama
This rain leak is kicking my butt

Help! I have rain leak that is showing up in a seam in the flooring in a 2006 Classic that I can seem to slow down but never stop. It shows inside 29 inches forward of the door jamb curbside even with the forward lower attach point for the awning. I have sealed everything with clear Parabond on that side from the trailer from the lower drip rail (I sealed the top of it, do I need to seal the bottom side of the rail?), have sealed around the awning attachments bottom and top. (see my home made flashing deflector I added the other day...didn't seem to help) up to the roof line and around the window eyebrows. Found a few minor leaks here and there over the trailer with a pressure test at Gulfport AS (one leak was blowing out the end of the lower drip rail at the door in the area of interest) at on point in this saga, but still did not fix the problem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreamfloor.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	371282   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreamfloor1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	371283  

Steve562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , NY
We have recently battled similar leaks from both sides at the lower drip rail. Curb side was just in front of the door (we thought all our issues were the door seal) and one on the street side at the lower seam where the front curved pieces meet the sides. We sealed with Silver ParBond with success so far - no leaks for the last month.

We were in the process of replacing the flooring (Marmoleum and carpet throughout the trailer. We noticed that in the middle of the trailer right in front of the couch, there are two screws/bolts through the subfloor that are about 4 inches apart. The street side bolt was rusty, the curb side was not. We borrowed an endoscope and drilled a hole in the sub floor and one in the belly pan. The water was coming from a leak at the lower drip rail on the street side, following frame pieces over to the bolt - water traveled about 4 feet.

When we resealed the drip/rub rails with ParBond, we did the whole trailer. In the front, there were some large gaps around the battery box openings - which are within 4 feet of where you are seeing water.

We have a small window just in front of the door above the window that opens. A couple o years ago, the seal around the glass deterioated and we re-caulked.

Good luck

Wyokirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Have you checked/sealed the upper awning arm mounts?

Bob
🇺🇸

"My sex life is like a Ferrari...I don't have a Ferrari."
Dino Longuini

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Gulf Shores , Alabama
Thanks for your help! Bad as I hate to admit it, some how I missed thinking about the drip rail over the swing out window near where water is showing up. Just finished a few minutes ago resealing that with Sikflex. And on the sealing, do I need to seal the the bottom (underside) of the lower drip rail in addition to the top side of it?
Old 06-27-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , NY
We did not seal the underside of either rail. I don't know if that is supposed to be sealed or not, but there are places where the gap is sol large that ParBond would not be feasible. But if sealing the upper side had not been successful (so far) we would have tried sealing the underside.
Wyokirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Gulf Shores , Alabama
I have. Bottom and top mounts. will go over them again.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Gulf Shores , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyokirk View Post
We have recently battled similar leaks from both sides at the lower drip rail. Curb side was just in front of the door (we thought all our issues were the door seal) and one on the street side at the lower seam where the front curved pieces meet the sides. We sealed with Silver ParBond with success so far - no leaks for the last month.

We were in the process of replacing the flooring (Marmoleum and carpet throughout the trailer. We noticed that in the middle of the trailer right in front of the couch, there are two screws/bolts through the subfloor that are about 4 inches apart. The street side bolt was rusty, the curb side was not. We borrowed an endoscope and drilled a hole in the sub floor and one in the belly pan. The water was coming from a leak at the lower drip rail on the street side, following frame pieces over to the bolt - water traveled about 4 feet.

When we resealed the drip/rub rails with ParBond, we did the whole trailer. In the front, there were some large gaps around the battery box openings - which are within 4 feet of where you are seeing water.

We have a small window just in front of the door above the window that opens. A couple o years ago, the seal around the glass deterioated and we re-caulked.

Good luck
And opps...Don't guess I read the first line of your answer. Will reseal the top and seal the bottom side. Btw the upper drip rail.. I understand that leaking is no issue with it. Is this true?
Old 06-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Not having ever dealt with this topic before, I am unfamiliar with what you are referring to as upper and lower drip rails. What are they? Also, what are drip/rub rails?
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Look at the body panel seams

Look closely at the body panel seams where the aluminum overlaps. Water can get blown in there or just wick itself in. You can get a small tube of aluminum colored parbond and fill in any gaps if you find them. Use masking tape to keep the parbond off of the aluminum body away form the seam and create a straight line.

I check all my seams every year and fill in any gaps I find.

I Assume you have cleaned and inspected the roof and used self leveling sealant up there to fill in any cracks or gaps that have developed.

Clearance lights can also leak. the lights themselves can fill up with water unless there is a weep hole for it to get out. Once they fill up, they will let some water through the wire hole in the trailer body.

Check out the lights for evidence of moisture trapped inside after a rain. It could be a leak or condensation from moisture that got inside through another leak. Either way it could help you isolate the source of the intrusion.

Good luck hunting and sealing!
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Some times awning installers will screw in a screw at end of awning rail into awning to keep from sliding. Some will use long screw that penetrates side of trailer, it is very difficult to seal, water will wick in, very hard to tell water getting this way, only remedy that I no is remove screw, use par-bond fill entire hole thru awning & rail & skin. Water will wick in if front is a little lower than level.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
As remote as this may seem I have seen a Batwing TV antenna leak wick into the inside via the roof mount seal.
guskmg

guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote