Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
The Airstream ages... As we all do: Moving walls

I had to post this, since I had enough fun repairing it.

We have a 2007 Safari FB SE with 130,000 miles. The last September trip was notable. We went to Canada for three weeks to visit relatives (which was an "interesting" story too).

However, on the way home I noticed the lavatory wall and the pantry wall were "moving". The pantry door was getting hard to shut, as was the lavatory door. The wife noticed the metal trim plate on the sink split off from the wall. I had to think back to another Airstreamer friend who arrived at his destination to find that all his walls and cabinets had come loose and moved.

So I decided to repair them. The front lavatory wall was rotating around a screw, so I took out that screw and used a Sledge (carefully!) to move the walls back in place. See pic 1 and 2. The dark marks are where the walls had moved. I hammered until everything looked square and the doors shut properly. I put another screw angled in to the floor. The trailer flexes when moving, so I did not feel right putting in any more screws. I then had to find out why the walls moved in the first place.

The walls are held to the trailer sides by loose L brackets and screws. By feeling around back there I noticed they were all torn out. So the walls will move again! So I had the fine experience of installing an L bracket waaayyy back there under the sink. See pic 3 for the area I had to work behind, and pic 4 for the result. I put a honkin' large bracket back there because I did not know what else was torn out. But I kept some slack in the screws to allow some movement. All done with my left hand in a cattywompus position, reaching in to that odd-shaped space. Left hand hurts. Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4692 2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	404361

Name:	IMG_4693 2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	404362

Name:	IMG_4691 2.jpg