Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Tell me about rivets

I have a section of soft flooring I'm trying to figure out how to deal with. I will have to remove cabinets, fixtures, bath, etc. if I decide to try myself. I have not a clue how to do that but I am beginning to figure all that out.

So to start. What can you tell me about rivets? I've never touched on of these things.
1. How do you remove them?
2. I've seen rivet guns before. I've heard folks here talk about Marsden? Guess I will need to get one.
3. Where does one buy rivets for an Airstream? Different sizes needed?
4. How do you put these in? Do you need access from both sides of the holes to put them in?
5. Can one person only do rivets? Nobody needs to hold back side while using gun on the front side?

Any tutorials?

Thanks in advance
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you have a soft floor why do you need to do rivets? Inside rivets are usually pop rivets. Go to your local hardware store they will have all the information and tools you need to do those. Outside rivets are bucked rivets at the factory but you can use Olympic rivets to replace them. It takes some special tools and material not usually available at local hardware stores. Use the search function for Olympic rivets and you will get two hours worth of education.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
acworth , New Hampshire
Hi,
I've gotten enough education in the automotive field up here in the rust belt to know all about the "pop" style rivets found inside the Airstream, and holding makeshift body panels on countless vehicles around here To remove them you drill them out by putting a usually 1/8" drill bit on the center of the head and drilling carefully until the head comes off of the shaft part of the rivet. At this point the shaft will generally fall inward but if it does not it can be pushed out of the hole to remove it. I think the name you are refering to is "Marson" most off the auto and home supply stores carry their brand of rivet setting tools and rivets in a dizzying array of sizes and lengths. I recently received a shipment of colored rivets from Out of Doors Mart, I'm sure they are available elsewhere as well, these are really nice anyplace they can/will be seen to make them blend in with the area around them. Access is only required from one side to install "pop" or "blind" rivets. Buy a good quality rivet gun and it will be your friend for a long time with minimal care, I have one with a pivoting head that helps get to some tight spots. Good Luck, hope I've managed to help you on your way! Scott
nhdubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Rivet CRAZY...please, I beg of you........

I need the exterior skin riveted back on my door. I have a shop that will do the work however, I need to bring my own rivets. What kind of rivets do I need and where can I get them??
WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Rivets?

I would think you could call Out of Doors Mart or Inland RV or Airstream and they could send you rivets. That is where I have always gotten a few when I needed them.
Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:08 AM   #6
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I got mine from Vintage Trailer Supply. Olympic Brand. They are special. And there is a special way to finish them off after "popping" them.
rivets
Olympic Rivets
tool
Olympic HS310-5B Rivet Head Shaver

Now you might balk at the cost, but it's way cheaper than removing the interior panels and having the skin buck riveted back on.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post
I need the exterior skin riveted back on my door. I have a shop that will do the work however, I need to bring my own rivets. What kind of rivets do I need and where can I get them??
The below link is where I bought my solid rivets, also read the thread rivets, Aerowood is our rivet expert..........toastie

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com...olidrivits.pdf

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381/rivets-39065.html

For rivet gun http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/se...ORY=Rivet+Guns
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Thank you, thank you, thank you....

TO ALL THE GREAT INFORMATION PROVIDED!!!

ALL I LEARN......just proves all I DONT KNOW about vintage airstreams...what a ride ...LEARNING and loving it!
WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Caution on the interior pop rivits. While most pop rivits are aluminum often the mandrell [center nail that fits into the gun] is soft steel. They can be a real mess with little rust spots later on. Use all aluminum rivits. Most anything will drill out the old ones. BUT, a small high speed drill and a few high quality 1/8 bits will save a lot of agrivation and give nice clean holes to reattach. Fewer "spinning rivits" & eggshaped holes.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post
You could take it over to North Dallas RV in Carrollton.
read about our adventures in renovation
janiemerle is offline   Reply With Quote