Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Buy the best bit you can ..no home owner bits..they are low budget..if they are broke off..drill new holes..and use a good corded drill
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
The thickness of the material is too thin for helicoil installation.
I'd have to drill out the bracket holes too. They are exactly 5/16". Even paint stops the bolt from going through. (I made progress today, see my later post.)
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #43
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I'd have to drill out the bracket holes too. They are exactly 5/16". Even paint stops the bolt from going through. (I made progress today, see my later post.)
Rich,

I'm not sure what you are saying here. A helicoil needs fairly thck material for installation. The material in the trailer with "stripped out" holes is pretty thin: 0.150" or so including the thickness of the belly pan.

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I did make some headway today. On the right front, forward 2 holes I used a HFT hammer drill that's been in a box on the shelf for a couple of years. With the reverse 5/16" bit I was able to drill past the snags from the old bolt. I used the HFT tap to run threads in each hole. The drilling was off center because the Irwin bit kept skating across the old bolt so the threads are probably weak. When I installed the stabilizer I got the 2 good holes bolted first, then I bolted the other holes. Since the original drilling was off center the holes in the bracket didn't exactly match the newly tapped holes. With bolts in the good holes first, the bolts in the bad holes are tight against the original hole, with some threads added. It's not pretty but it's tight. It seems to hold it very well.

I tried the drill on the left front hole but succeeded only in smoking the WD40. The bit is burned up and not taking a bite. I tried a DeWalt bit with the pilot tip but it just burned up that (pilot) tip. I'll need to get a regular bit like the Irwin and burn that one up to get that last hole opened up.

Anyway, progress. Maybe on a nice fall day I'll bring the Airstream home and work on it here in the street again, hoping the HOA doesn't see me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_134559.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	381007  
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-16-2020, 04:55 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
Rich,

I'm not sure what you are saying here. A helicoil needs fairly thck material for installation. The material in the trailer with "stripped out" holes is pretty thin: 0.150" or so including the thickness of the belly pan.
For each rear stabilizer there are 5 bolts; 1 amidships and 4 outboard. When the OEM trilobular (Taptite) bolts were removed one broke off but the others came out. But, of the ones that came out, some stripped out the threads from the hole. I replaced those 5/16-18 bolts with regular ones but they just spin, won't tighten. The other bolts in holes with threads I snugged, afraid to tighten them too much.

The BAL stabilizer brackets that hold the "legs" bolt in those holes. The holes in the bracket match up to the self-tapped holes in the belly. If I go with a bolt larger than 5/16" I'll have to drill out those holes to accommodate the larger bolts, and that's thick steel. So right now I've ordered rivnuts and I'll drill out the existing belly holes and put the rivnuts in there, then I can use new 5/16-18 1" bolts to hold the stabilizers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201004_234639-A.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	381012  
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Buy the best bit you can ..no home owner bits..they are low budget..if they are broke off..drill new holes..and use a good corded drill
Hi, I've bought DeWalt bits, 3 sets. They get good reviews and are cobalt and titanium. I got the Irwin reverse extractors and bits. They weren't cheap but about the price of the DeWalt bits. It doesn't say what they are made of but Irwin is a good bit. Drill America has some nice bits but those are very large sets and quite expensive

Cobalt bits seem to be the strongest but for this application I need beveled bits and not ones that have the pilot point. The Irwins have done the best job so far but 1 broke and 1 is now too dull to do any good.

I need 1 more 5/16 cobalt bit with the beveled tip and with the HFT hammer drill I might be able to get that last hole drilled out. I need a 27/64 to drill out the holes for the rivnut too. That's just to make the existing hole larger, I don't have to start new holes. (whew)

If you have a recommendation I'm up for that. I'd like to just buy the sizes that I need rather than complete sets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201016_095540.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	375.0 KB
ID:	381013  
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #47
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Hi, I've bought DeWalt bits, 3 sets. They get good reviews and are cobalt and titanium. I got the Irwin reverse extractors and bits. They weren't cheap but about the price of the DeWalt bits. It doesn't say what they are made of but Irwin is a good bit. Drill America has some nice bits but those are very large sets and quite expensive

Cobalt bits seem to be the strongest but for this application I need beveled bits and not ones that have the pilot point. The Irwins have done the best job so far but 1 broke and 1 is now too dull to do any good.

I need 1 more 5/16 cobalt bit with the beveled tip and with the HFT hammer drill I might be able to get that last hole drilled out. I need a 27/64 to drill out the holes for the rivnut too. That's just to make the existing hole larger, I don't have to start new holes. (whew)

If you have a recommendation I'm up for that. I'd like to just buy the sizes that I need rather than complete sets.
I'll maintain that a good sharp bit of any brand will do the job if you drill slowly, use a lubricant and don't allow the bit or the work to overheat. A decent cordless drill will give you more control over speed and pressure than a corded one. I always use my Makita 18 volt for slow drilling on vehicle frames. Even the Harbor Freight bits do the job. I have many sets of bits including just the plain black oxide ones which work great and are easy to sharpen. Drill a pilot hole first before moving to the final size. Also the bigger the bit, the slower the speed if you want it to hold up. Speed Kills.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Drill bits

I've learned a lot about drill bits these past few weeks, mostly how to burn them up and break them. I always use WD40 and go slow when trying to drill out the bolt or go through steel. I stop frequently and check the bit to see if it's getting hot. To get past that burr left on the bolt that was pushed out of the way I needed something stronger than the DeWalt cordless. The HFT 1/2" impact drill did that in about 2 seconds with the same bit I had been using in the cordless. At this point I think I'm going to leave the front stabilizer bolts alone, the stabilizers seem to be pretty solid. For the rear I'm going to get a 27/64" bit and use rivnuts for the bad, threaded holes

I can't seem to find a single reverse bit to replace the one in the Hanson/Irwin extractor kit. Have to buy an entire kit. Bits that have the pilot point are good for going through some metals but drilling out broken bolts isn't one of them. Shorter bits are better because they don't break as easily. Here are the different types of metal used to make bits.

DRILL BIT MATERIALS
High-Speed Steel (HSS) is a popular material good for drilling into soft steels as well as wood and plastic. IT’s an economical solution for most maintenance drilling applications.

Cobalt (HSCO) is considered an upgrade from HSS because it includes 5-8% Cobalt blended into the base material. This is a great option for drilling into harder steel as well as stainless steel grades.

Carbide (Carb) is the hardest and most brittle of the drill bit materials. It’s used mostly for production drilling where a high-quality tool holder and equipment is used. It should not be used in hand drills or even drill presses. These drill bits are designed for the most demanding and hardest materials.

DRILL POINT COATINGS
Black Oxide (surface treatment) Helps reduce friction and increase chip flow. Not for nonferrous materials.

Bright Not real finish, but polished for increased chip flow. For use in plastics, woods and aluminum.

TiN (titanium nitride, gold color) Can be run faster than uncoated drills and increased tool life.

TiCN (titanium carbonitride, blue-gray color) Great for stainless steel, cast iron and aluminum. Harder and more wear-resistant than other coatings.

TiALN (titanium aluminum nitride, violet color) For use in high-alloy carbon steels, nickel-based materials and titanium. Not used for aluminum.

More information here:
https://www.grainger.com/know-how/in...ase%20material.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
I can't seem to find a single reverse bit to replace the one in the Hanson/Irwin extractor kit. Have to buy an entire kit.
You can find singles here: https://www.mcmaster.com/screw-removers/extractors-7/. For those who don't know, McMaster-Carr is a wonderful source for all sorts of tools and hardware.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #50
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Yes shorter is better for hand drilling which is another case for jobber bits. I also have centering bits which are very stout and allow you to start a divot before using the drill bit, they don't flex or walk as much. I use them on my drill presses but never tried one on a hand drill. A good sharp punch is the way to get a center divot when hand drilling. Once a drill starts a hole off center you are pretty much screwed.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
WD40 is a poor lubricant for drilling and tapping. IMHO
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
WD40 is a poor lubricant for drilling and tapping. IMHO
It's what was around the workbench. I Googled using WD40 and most sites said it was OK, some said it was great for aluminum. WD40 makes a cutting oil as well. I found 3 in 1 oil was another recommended cutting oil. The bits never got too hot to handle, I went slow and used a spray every 10 seconds or so. Only 1 bolt remains to be drilled out but the bit I used for the other 3 and most of the remaining one is pretty dull now. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to finish that one or not. I may go fishing instead.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
You can find singles here: https://www.mcmaster.com/screw-removers/extractors-7/. For those who don't know, McMaster-Carr is a wonderful source for all sorts of tools and hardware.

Tim
Thanks, Tim. McMaster wants $15.73 plus tax and shipping for the one 19/64 left turning bit. I paid $34.69 for the Irwin extractor set, which contains 5 extractors and 5 reverse bits. I can get an Irwin single bit 19/64 right turning cobalt bit for $7.60 plus tax, free shipping. A left turning bit would be ideal but this bolt isn't going to unscrew, there's no head but room to continue going to the right and out. I will keep the link in case I need something down the road.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8