Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2022, 11:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Tail Lights... Big Arses need Big Tail Lights

Why are the rear Tail Lights so small on such large rear ends of an Airstream?

Automobiles over the decades had the Tail Lights get larger, since the single red light over the license plate in the 1930's on many vehicles.

Some tail lights on current Automobile models fill the rear end like a "Don't Run Into My Rear End" warning. Huge.

VW's had small tail lights in the 1950's and at the rear end of sales... Big 'uns. Ohhhh Weeee. Big tail light changes from 1956 and 1964. Other European cars had the side lit flags between the doors in older European cars... very interesting idea.

Then blinking turn signals no doubt were... optional later and then standard. My
Dad stuck his arm out the window to signal. Straight out the window for Left. Up at a 90 degree angle for right. ...and I am not that old to remember.

Small tail lights seem to be stuck on the Airstream Bucket List... getting rid of small tail lights to keep the... weight down? Or a warehouse full of these things?

If WEIGHT is the issue. Less aluminum frame and more colorful plastic. Light bulbs are light. LED's... barely can find one if you drop it.

Give me Big Honking Tail Lights and keep these undersized ones as Ash Trays.

Oh yes... the tail lights have to fit on the CURVE to maintain the integrity of the Frame. Maybe someone will figure it out and offer BIG ONES.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Our BMW EV has huge tail lights that light up everything. If they burn out, they will cost a small fortune to replace.

Our Airstream has single round tail lights that look old but they are actually many LED’s and are quite bright.

I still use hand signals when riding the bike around town. I am sure that many drivers who share the road don’t know what I am doing with my hands and arms.

I am sure that this lack of hand signal knowledge is one reason why the tail lights are so big and bright and there are center lights as well so I you are not looking the 3 degrees off center towards the lights, you get an extra middle one so you can continue to stare straight on.

Now, with all the safety features and autonomous driving, the lights don’t matter as much!

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:43 PM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Just a guess, but I'm assuming that the answer to your 'why' question is simple - style.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’m okay with the tail lights, but I think the new Airstreams should have reverse lights like some of the old models. I don’t think they’re necessary to provide light behind the trailer as much as they are to alert others that the driver is reversing. It sometimes surprises me how many people drive or walk behind the Airstream when it’s quite obvious that I’m reversing.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
PERSONALLY, I would like back up lights on the Airstream. It is hard to see what’s going on when backing up at night or into a darker garage. And I would put those lights on the side, so that when looking through the side mirrors you can see what’s on the sides. I am Ok with the tail lights. The amber lights on top make it pretty visible.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Start a Dead End Thread and then....

Daquenzer and Dennis hit home runs.

I do not know if the plug to the vehicle would handle it, but two great ideas and no body else thought of it.

Thanks for participating.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Daquenzer and Dennis hit home runs.

I do not know if the plug to the vehicle would handle it, but two great ideas and no body else thought of it.

Thanks for participating.
The center pin in 7-Way connectors is for backup lights.

See https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring....%20-%207%20Way for example. (Ignore the stuff at the top, scroll down to the images of 7-Way RV Standard.)

I didn't realize that the new Airstreams didn't have backup lights.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:52 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
+1 for backup lights on our trailers.

Why a center brake light is not required on trailers?

Obviously, the trailer blocks view of the TV's center brake light. So ... wouldn't it make sense to require a center brake light on the back of the trailer?
Old 01-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuk13 View Post
+1 for backup lights on our trailers.

Why a center brake light is not required on trailers?

Obviously, the trailer blocks view of the TV's center brake light. So ... wouldn't it make sense to require a center brake light on the back of the trailer?
A center brake light would require a change in wiring standard, (seems like they are still trying to get some manufacturers to follow the current standard decades after it came out) and then trying to get backward compatibility. Using diodes would leave the center light flashing if signaling and not breaking. Could still have another more centered set of lights.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
PERSONALLY, I would like back up lights on the Airstream. It is hard to see what’s going on when backing up at night or into a darker garage. And I would put those lights on the side, so that when looking through the side mirrors you can see what’s on the sides. I am Ok with the tail lights. The amber lights on top make it pretty visible.
Our 2022 Classic 33 has (will have if it ever gets delivered) back-up lights. I don't know when they started doing that - and I've only seen it on the Classics.
InvertdEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:50 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Manassas , Virginia

You could always install these...they have an option to connect the circuit to your brake circuit and turn on all the red led lights when you hit your brakes. I think they'd see you
InvertdEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:05 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Excella
Sault Ste. Marie , Ontario
The back-up lights on our 97 Excella Classic have helped several time when backing into a wooded spot at night and provides a good warning for other behind. If you have ever gone to a Nascar Race and parked, they gives the very happy slightly impaired people a fighting chance.

The large aluminum bezel sets us apart from the Stick and Tin campers with universal stick-on tail lights.
If Airstream was to make a change let them make the coach 2 to 4 inches taller.
first choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:00 PM   #13
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertdEagle View Post
Our 2022 Classic 33 has (will have if it ever gets delivered) back-up lights. I don't know when they started doing that - and I've only seen it on the Classics.
My 1994 Excella has back up lights. Surprised to hear that not all trailers built since then have them.

If you don't have backup lights, it would be really easy to add them. There is a pin on the 7-wire plug for them, and a single hot lead to the rear of the trailer is all that's needed to add them. Lots of retro looking reverse lights out there which can be surface mounted to the rear of the trailer. You could probably rig some under the bumper which are not visible when off, but they likely wouldn't light up as well.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My 07 classis has backup lights. They were just incandescent bulbs in a black housing. I fashioned concave stainless reflectors and installed the brightest LEDs I could find. A real advantage when backing into a site after dark.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
My 07 classis has backup lights. They were just incandescent bulbs in a black housing. I fashioned concave stainless reflectors and installed the brightest LEDs I could find. A real advantage when backing into a site after dark.

Picture?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Picture?
I assume you want night? That'll have to wait a couple weeks till I hitch up. I suppose I could jump the 7 way, but its 15* out....so......

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
How much do think was saved by dropping the backup lights on the newer trailers? A couple of fixtures and a wire and some time to install them. Pretty easy to implement while running the other wires.

Airstream could have just keep them as a option next to the extra battery and 90W panel.

Maybe a middle brake light as an option too.

Inverted Eagles ground effects are definitely high my list of upgrades

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Hopefully the trend of the annoying flashing third brake light doesn’t make it to Airstreams. Between those and people who drive with their four way flashers because it’s raining I don’t know which is more annoying.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
Ummm

If some moron crashes into the “large rear end” of your big SHINY, iconic, eye-catching Airstream, then bigger lights probably would make no difference!

Don’t worry about it.
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Newer Airstream trailers have LED tail and brake lights that are much brighter than the older incandescent lights were. They're adequate in my opinion. Its pretty easy to add additional lighting and I would if you still have older bulb style lights.