Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #1

Streamline restoration

I'm new to all of this and I need help. I bought a 1972 streamline crown imperial. At least that's what I think it's called. I love projects, and this is by far my biggest one ever. It's not in horrible shape at all and there's only a few bad places in the floor. But my question to anyone that has restored a streamline is ...... How did you seal the vents behind the refrigerator that go straight outside???? There are 2 vents I'm assuming were for the original (propane?) refrigerator. I live in Oklahoma and the winds are terrible. Especially during a storm. And the rain is flying in. But during the winter especially that wind blows straight in from outside. They're put in with rivets and I don't really want to have to take it off and reattach it. I know I'm probably not speaking in technical terms for those of you more seasoned. Lol. But it's the only way I know how to explain it. I have them sealed with duct tape and plastic right now but I need something permanent! And not trashy! And I also am going to reseal everything. Should I use clear silicone caulking or is there something better? Like I said This type of restoration is all brand new to me. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
Jamielee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
If you wish to remove and seal the refrigerator vents, you would be best off removing the rivets and riveting in a patch. If you use Olympic rivets, it's not difficult and doesn't require special tools (if you use a file or cutoff wheel instead of the shaver).

For sealer, use Vulkem, sikaflex, or Parbond. Search for those words here on the forum, there are many threads.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Congrads. I have a 73. Where do you park yourself? FYI there is a Streamline group on Yahoogroups.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Briarcliff , Texas
Refridge vents...........

I am assuming you no longer have the absorption refridge......?

That said, I would try to keep the exterior "stock".

Maybe seal up the openings behind the vents with something?

Seal in some thin plexi-glass or something to the inside of the vent doors?

That way it could be easily returned to original in the future.

2022 Escape 19
7GenTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #5

Plexiglass is a great idea!!! Thank you! I really do want to keep everything original. On the outside anyways. Especially as far as the vents. Thank you everyone got your input. And for now it's parked in my yard. Lol. Hopefully it will travel with me when I get ready to travel and work. I love these things. I've wanted an airstream since I was a kid and came across this streamline and fell in love with it. They're much wider it seems than an airstream. More roomy. I do have another question though. Someone was saying something about replacing rubber gaskets for the plumbing vents on the roof??? Where would I buy those at?
Jamielee25 is offline   Reply With Quote