Old 07-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1991 36' Land Yacht
West Paducah , Kentucky
STRANDED (pretty much)

Visiting Boise, ID from my home in Western KY. Without effort at all, I found an incredible "Don't blink, or you'll miss it" deal on a 1991 36' Land Yacht in like-new condirion with 44,000 miles, kept in climate controlled storage when not in use. This is my first motorhome, and it drives like a dream, and is more than I would have otherwise chosen for my first, and was not even considering becoming an RV owner, but what a dream machine. But she's old, and parts will be scarce.

Before I can drive her home, I need to replace the oil pressure gauge, which is pegged out at 60psi+, with all power isolated (It HAS to be the gauge head, rather than the sending unit) I understand that it has a GM 454 cid engine, but don't know yet how to confirm that just yet.

I've tried the local Airstream and GM Truck dealers, but I'm not having much success getting anyone interested in helping a semi-stranded out-of-towner.

I've contacted the mechanic that is familiar with the vehicle, and if nothing else, he will hang an aftermeket gauge to get me home. I just wandered if there might be info on another parts source that might have the heart to help a newby buy his first OEM part, and build a trusting relationship for the future.

Please Help!! Thanks,
Ron

ronreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi Ron,

Don't worry. The MoHo guys and gals will be here soon to help.

Sounds like you scored a winner. Congrats!

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1991 36' Land Yacht
West Paducah , Kentucky
Photo

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6163.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	371908
ronreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
STRANDED (pretty much)

Ok, the way these gauges generally work is one side of the gauge needs a good solid ground connection all the way back to the engine block. The other side goes to a 12 volt positive supply controlled by the ignition switch The center terminal goes to the sensor.

If the sensor lead is open circuit, the gauge goes to zero, or it may ‘peg’ at full scale depending how it is set up. I don’t remember for sure.

Verify continuity from the gauge to the sensor wire connection and verify you have a good ground from the gauge all the way back to the engine block.

It’s acting like a loose wire somewhere.

All else fails, add a real mechanical oil pressure gauge with copper tubing from the gauge to a tee fitting on the engine oil pressure port to verify what is actually going on.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
. . .
The MoHo guys and gals will be here soon to help.
. . .
Ron you might want to peruse the threads in the various sub-forums within the Motorhome forum for possible info:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f156/
Land Yacht sub-forum: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f312/

Which engine do you have?

Congrats on the new MH, welcome to the forum, and good luck!
Old 07-04-2020, 04:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I think if the gauge pegs, the feed wire is shorted, and if it never moves, the wire is broken. Alternately, it may be the gauge, where it has an internal short.
Either way, for now find an auto parts store that sells mechanical oil pressure gauges, buy one, find the sending unit on the engine, and replace the gauge with the mechanical one. I forget where the sending unit is on a big block engine, but the sender for the small block is next to the distributor on the engine.