Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 08:00 PM   #1

Beaverton , OR
Stove Top Burner Working, Oven won't ignite

We have a 2017 19' Flying Cloud and the stove top burners work fine but the oven won't ignite and cannot hear any gas when trying to start following the instructions. is there some oven gas shutoff or ?? I can't tell.

?

Thanks in advance,

Framl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Long Beach , California
I believe you have to push and hold the oven temperature dial in until the gas reaches the pilot light and long enough to heat the thermostat and then it should stay lit

2016 International Signature 28
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4X4 Crew Cab Z71

WBCCI #21506

airwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
I think airwoody nailed it. It’s like an old gas water heater - you have to push the knob in and hold it while lighting until the thermocouple heats up and keeps the gas valve open.

Welcome to the forums!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
It takes a while to light it compared to the stove top. Once you see the pilot light flame, hold the knob in as mentioned above for about 5 - 10 seconds.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Push and turn oven knob to any temperature setting and keep it pushed in. With other hand, guide a lit BBQ lighter to the little unmarked spot in back of oven where gas comes in. If you haven’t fainted by then with all the blood that’s rushed to your head, you should see gas grab the flame which then travels the rails to heat your oven.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Welcome Framl,

We've had a 2008 27FB with an Amana gas stove for 11 years. Fortunately, the first person I met on the road told me about purging the gas lines every time you use the trailer after a long down period. My procedure is: with the door of the trailer open, turn on the gas, open the top of the stove, turn on the burners, walk back and turn on the furnace at the thermostat, come back and light the burners, when they all light shut them down. When the furnace blows warm air shut it down. Turn the fridge on. Turn the hot water heater on (if required) THEN assume the "Stove pilot lighting LOTUS position" on the floor. Push, turn and hold the OVEN gas knob in the PILOT position. I've found that if you turn just a little past the PILOT position and then back to PILOT, the stove will light reliably. If you just turn to PILOT, it may or may not light. Now, while in the LOTUS position on the floor I wait about 30 seconds after holding the PILOT to attempt to light the oven pilot. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the gas line to the pilot light is tiny and takes a while to purge. To aid me in pilot lighting, I have placed a piece of aluminum foil on the floor of the oven under the burner (also used as a broiler shelf) so I can see the blue glow of the flame when the pilot lights. I also use a long stem BBQ lighter and have learned how to find the pilot frame by touch so between those two things and being old and heavy don't want/need to stretch to the the hard part of the "oven light lotus" to actually SEE the pilot light directly. When I see the reflected blue glow of the Pilotin the aluminum foil, I count to 90 seconds in my head and then turn the knob to 250 degrees. The oven manifold should light up. It will 90% of the time after 90 seconds. If it doesn't, you can quickly move the knob back to PILOT and it will reignite. Gotta move fast though. It it reignites, count to 30 and try again. If not, reimplement the lighting procedure and count to 90 and try again. Once the manifold lights, turn the knob back to PILOT and resume other camp arrival duties. Your mileage may vary depending on the model and individual personality of your stove but this should be a good guide. I just learned the "turn past PILOT a bit" part in the past year so my diatribe is based on 10 years of oven lighting experience. Teach everyone in your party NOT to turn the Oven knob to OFF until you are ready to depart camp. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Not sure About the newer stove models. On my old one iyou turn the knob to pilot you hold a lighter at the pilot until you can see a very small flame. This frame is the size of a pinhead and it runs continuously. When you turn the stove on that tiny flame ignites the pilot flame which then heats the thermal probe to allow gas to flow into the oven Burner
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Above suggestions sound right to me. But if the thermocouple is toast or is too far away from the flame, you may need outside help. Any veteran camper can double check for you.... these ovens are not unique to Airstream.

Please post again and let us know if you have been successful. And hate to sound like a broken record... but look through the pile of instructions Airstream calls a manual for the stove lighting instructions. Airstream does change vendors all too often and YMMD (your model may differ).
Old 04-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Surprising how long it can take for the gas to get to the pilot
ttrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:10 AM   #10

Beaverton , OR
Thanks!

I knew 1) buying an AS was a good idea because of the community 2) I need to be more patient

Thanks again for the responses...hope to see some AS's this weekend in the Gorge!
Framl is offline   Reply With Quote